Buntsen Lake to Squamish

May 14, 2007, 2:20 p.m.

On behalf of a fried who wants to try this route, how is it? Is the forestry service road in decent shape? Can you ride from the north end of Buntzen Lake to the north end of Indian Arm, up by Granite Falls?

If possible any estimates on the time it would take.

The folks who are interested in doing this are good hikers and light duty xc riders.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 14, 2007, 3:14 p.m.

there is no rideable route between buntzen and the head of indian arm.

there was a crazy guy building an ultra rough hiking trail though

May 14, 2007, 3:33 p.m.

Part of that route involves going through the coquitlam watershed. NOT THAT I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ROUTE but it involves very very heinous bushwhacking and possible anal-probing by water-cops if you get caught.

AGAIN, I HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF THIS AND WOULD NEVER, EVER RECOMMEND DOING THIS ROUTE.

May 15, 2007, 3:19 p.m.

If anyone would know, I knew that you would know, if you know what I mean, you know?. So where exactly is this trail that you don't know of and would never, ever condone riding so that my friend's third cousin of a friend';s friend would not accidentally ride on it by accident.

Is there any other bike route to the top of Indian Arm, on the west side that could be taken to get to reach the Forestry Service Road to Squamish and which does not infringe on any protected watershed?

If not, I presume the only option is to get dropped off by boat at the top of Indian Arm?

May 15, 2007, 7:29 p.m.

Is there any other bike route to the top of Indian Arm, on the west side that could be taken to get to reach the Forestry Service Road to Squamish and which does not infringe on any protected watershed?

If not, I presume the only option is to get dropped off by boat at the top of Indian Arm?

There are no roads on the west side of Indian Arm, there is a trail on the east side though. http://www.clubtread.com/routes/Route.aspx?Route=477

There is a road from the end of Indian arm to Squamish.

check out the backroad mapbook book by mussio
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index-bm.php?bookId=vcbc[HTML_REMOVED]region=bc

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 16, 2007, 8:56 p.m.

I believe there is a logging road that goes from Squamish to Brittannia Beach, which if I'm not mistaken, is the mouth of Indian Arm?

Primary rig: Devinci Ollie
AM rig: Norco Fluid LT2
Brodie Miscreant
'08 Buell XB12Ss Lightning

Thanks for letting me know what poo feels like.

May 16, 2007, 9:36 p.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 17, 2007, 9:24 a.m.

I believe there is a logging road that goes from Squamish to Brittannia Beach, which if I'm not mistaken, is the mouth of Indian Arm?

Brittania Beech is a mine site on the way to Squamish (incredibly polluted mine site).

There appears to be a decent 4x4 logging road from Squamish to the top of Indian Arm, which I believe was used to service the Wig Wam Inn (?). The problem is how to get to the top of Indian Arm.

May 17, 2007, 9:42 a.m.

You cannot get to the the head of Indian Arm by any cycling trail other then the already mentioned very-tough hiking trails and/or illegal coquitlam watershed trails.

The logging road from the Mamquam FSR to the head of Indian Arm is a long hot slog but is fun for scenery and speed.

May 17, 2007, 10:02 a.m.

I have heard of people doing it where one group Kaycks anouther group rides in and they swap bikes/boats.

May 17, 2007, 10:30 a.m.

Call Burrard Water Taxi they will transport you and your bikes to the head of Indian Arm

May 17, 2007, 12:12 p.m.

Part of that route involves going through the coquitlam watershed. NOT THAT I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ROUTE but it involves very very heinous bushwhacking and possible anal-probing by water-cops if you get caught.

AGAIN, I HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF THIS AND WOULD NEVER, EVER RECOMMEND DOING THIS ROUTE.

I thought the path stayed fairly close to Indian arm. Coquitlam watershed is on the other side of the ridge.

May 17, 2007, 12:26 p.m.

I thought the path stayed fairly close to Indian arm. Coquitlam watershed is on the other side of the ridge.

We are talking about two completely different routes. You are correct about the path

May 17, 2007, 10:45 p.m.

Call Burrard Water Taxi they will transport you and your bikes to the head of Indian Arm

Yup, they will.

Knnn, try this one on for size, me and a few buds did the ride a few years back incorperating kayaks rented from Deep Cove. We did it a couple times while training for sea to summit adventure races.

4 guys rented two double kayaks and 4 others drove up to Squamish with bikes and parked at the bottom of 9 mile hill where the Indian river FSR begins. You want to get about a 1 to 2 hr head start on the ride.

So the riders ride up and over to the top of Indian Arm and the paddlers paddle up. Meet at the top and swap kayaks for bikes(Remember the car keys too!) Its a really fun day or there's a few camping spots right where the Indian River lets out if you want to turn it into a weekender. Then at the end each group drives back in the other's car.

A couple tips though,
Have the stronger climbers ride out of Squamish as the climb is steeper in that direction.
Don't try it till at least July this year because with the snow pack that FSR probably won't be passable till middle summer.
Indian Arm gets a nasty wind and pretty choppy between 2 and 5 pm on alot of summer days for some reason.

PS: If you like this option let me know I'd probably jump on board for the trip.

May 17, 2007, 11:11 p.m.

isnt there a trail to squamish from the end of quarry road?