Bella Coola trails?

July 15, 2014, 5 p.m.

Hey guys, anyone out there from Bella Coola? I'm looking to find some trails to ride in about 2 weeks when I head out to Hagensborg with my gf's family. Would love to find something about 20km return, with nice views and a steady climb one way and a steady descent back. Google didn't help me out much, and the visitor info folks suggested just checking things out once I get there. I'd still rather be a little prepared, either that or if there really is no mountain biking (hard to believe) I don't want to get my hopes up! Cheers

July 15, 2014, 9:46 p.m.

i spent a fair bit of time up there from 2004-2008. there were almost no bike trails, and i doubt that has changed. a couple really short ones near hagensborg, but really nothing. the closest riding is up on the plateau in the rainbow mountains, kind of chilcotins style.

July 16, 2014, 12:56 a.m.

I remember an article in Bike Magazine in which Sterling Lorence, Matt Hunter and Andrew Shandro were travelling north into Bella Coola, and riding a lot of trails along the way - and, if I recall correctly, in Bella Coola as well.

I googled "Bella Coola bikeshop" and came up with "Rick's Re:cycling", a bike shop. Why not simply contact him/them and ask for info?

A vid on pb

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/268271/

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 16, 2014, 9:45 a.m.

Rick is actually part of my extended family. He doesn't actually run a bike shop anymore, but he does run a great little farmers market.

He may have some local knowledge, but he is not part of our type of mountain bike "scene".

I haven't heard of any MTB trails while I was up there, but that is not to say there aren't any.

If you find some, or hear of some, definitely update the thread. I am curious…

edit: Small town, but I think Rick's Re:Cycling is actually a different shop than my family ran. Hopefully they have some info for you.

July 16, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

http://www.eaglelodgebc.com/site/bella-coola-valley/things-to-do.html

Found that link. It says:

_The Bella Coola Valley has an extensive trail system for mountain biking, some of the best trails are accessed from next door to Eagle Lodge. _

I am fairly certain they are just talking about riding on walking trails, but they might be the ones to call.

July 16, 2014, 1:45 p.m.

I tried calling Rick's Re:Cycling earlier this week but the number is no longer in service, so I guess that means there is no local bike shop. I talked to the tourism folks at the visitor center on the phone and they were somewhat helpful, but mostly they just advised to check it out once I got to town.