Anyone shuttle anymore?

July 21, 2014, 3:10 p.m.

I need a new shock but when that comes in I'll PM you for some weeknight shuttles. The only reason I don't shuttle as much as I used to is due to my buddies selling their dh bikes and buying fanny packs.

July 21, 2014, 6:47 p.m.

I am at the fitness level that I can pedal the Podium up and when I do go on all-mountain rides I keep up with all but the most fit of my friends.

That said I remember running into a guy who was in his 40s on Fromme one day and while talking to him he told me that he used to pedal a 45-50lb single-pivot up Fromme back in the day and now his knees are absolutely trashed so I took that lesson to heart and try not to destroy my knees where possible.

Anyone up for some weeknight shuttles?

I might be down depending on the day.Might even be going to cypress tomorow (tuesday) night

July 21, 2014, 7:38 p.m.

I am at the fitness level that I can pedal the Podium up and when I do go on all-mountain rides I keep up with all but the most fit of my friends.

That said I remember running into a guy who was in his 40s on Fromme one day and while talking to him he told me that he used to pedal a 45-50lb single-pivot up Fromme back in the day and now his knees are absolutely trashed so I took that lesson to heart and try not to destroy my knees where possible.

Anyone up for some weeknight shuttles?

nice!

run proper gearing and proper extension on your seat post and your knees won't have to worry at all about the pedaling. that guy's trashed knees may not even be related to his bike so take his "story" with a grain of salt.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 21, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

nice!

run proper gearing and proper extension on your seat post and your knees won't have to worry at all about the pedaling. that guy's trashed knees may not even be related to his bike so take his "story" with a grain of salt.

Yeah … I'd be surprised that someone could trash their knees just from cycling (which is barely even a weight-hearing activity for the knees). It would take some seriously dysfunctional setup on the bike to ruin your knees pedalling. I was riding a bike trainer 4 days after an ACL reconstruction surgery and nothing else, not even morphine, made it feel better than that.

July 22, 2014, 1:40 p.m.

^^ pedaling with your seat really low can be tough on the knees

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 22, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

So I remember why I personally don't shuttle.

With non-shuttling you get to the trail head. Then ride your bike. Then go home.

With shuttling you need to figure out how many people are coming. Do you have enough vehicles to get everyone up the mountain and for retrieval. Back and forwards a billion emails. Then you load all the bikes on the truck to the top. Drive to top. Get bikes and gear off truck and get ready to ride. Ride for 10 minutes. Get bikes, people and gear into truck drive to top. Transfer bikes to other vehicle. Then drive back down.

Riding time 10 minutes, shuttling time 1 hour.

July 22, 2014, 1:52 p.m.

I don't shuttle much any more. (Don't want to incur the wrath of Tom)

WWTD?

July 22, 2014, 2:44 p.m.

Yeah … I'd be surprised that someone could trash their knees just from cycling (which is barely even a weight-hearing activity for the knees). It would take some seriously dysfunctional setup on the bike to ruin your knees pedalling. I was riding a bike trainer 4 days after an ACL reconstruction surgery and nothing else, not even morphine, made it feel better than that.

This guy probably did have his seat down fairly low and had a 38-40 tooth chainring as was typical of the day.

I hear you on the knee part. Overshot a dirtjump and landed flat with all my weight on one leg from about 6 feet up. It was agony to walk for like 6 months but strangely enough, riding was like therapy for it and didn't hurt and loosened it up.

July 22, 2014, 2:50 p.m.

With shuttling you need to figure out how many people are coming. Do you have enough vehicles to get everyone up the mountain and for retrieval. Back and forwards a billion emails. Then you load all the bikes on the truck to the top. Drive to top. Get bikes and gear off truck and get ready to ride. Ride for 10 minutes. Get bikes, people and gear into truck drive to top. Transfer bikes to other vehicle. Then drive back down.

Riding time 10 minutes, shuttling time 1 hour.

Obviously a Shuttlewhore amateur. ;)

Simple solution - everyone brings a vehicle capable of at least 4 guys, 4 bikes. State time and location of start and show up with beer. Repeat until your batteries run out.

July 22, 2014, 3 p.m.

Or do odd man outs. It's like a chairlift that way and you only need 1 vehicle.

July 22, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

even a smooth well oiled shuttle plan still involves alot of time fucking around and a bit of time riding.

I havnt ridden much in a while but 4 laps of cypress used to yield a few hours of riding and would often take more than 4 hours of your day. I think its what pushed most of the guys I rode with to get on moto/trials bikes. way more pinning it for your time

July 22, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

4 laps of cypress used to yield a few hours of riding and would often take more than 4 hours of your day. I think its what pushed most of the guys I rode with to get on moto/trials bikes. way more pinning it for your time

Two hours loading and driving back and forth to Squamish and 2 hours on the braap is the same ratio for me. You'd be right if you lived with braap trails in your backyard.

July 22, 2014, 3:25 p.m.

moto/trials trails and mtb trails are the same distance for me but I get your point.

im giving the mtb a second chance this summer. spending a week up at whistler in august.

July 22, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

Or do odd man outs. It's like a chairlift that way and you only need 1 vehicle.

this is the way to go… 3+ guys and you are golden.

July 22, 2014, 7:03 p.m.

I would much rather shuttle than not. For me its shuttle or hike for an hour to ride 10 minutes. Kinda a no brainer