Anyone shuttle anymore?

July 18, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

The majority of my friends have switched over to all-mountain riding and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find people to do shuttle laps with (I've got a 40lb Knolly Podium which isn't exactly the best for pedalling up!). Ideally I'd like to ride 2-4 times a week.

I've got a 4Runner that can easily take 2 bikes (3 in a pinch).

Anyone up for some weeknight shuttle runs of Cypress or Seymour? I can ride anytime after 6pm.

I'm definitely not a pro rider however I can hold my own on the likes of Wild Cherry, 5th Horseman, Cambodia etc.

July 18, 2014, 1:40 p.m.

Shuttling RIP.

July 18, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

do you mean gravity enduro?

viperfunk.com

July 18, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

the new 6" bikes can handle anything the shore can throw at it now. Sell your big bike, buy a small bike and pedal with your friends. Still capable to shuttle as well once in awhile but I see that scene shrinking more and more.

:canada:

July 18, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

^^^ This

I held out on getting a 6 inch "one bike to rule them all" kinda deal, but now that I have, I'm never going back. You won't regret the switch.

July 19, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

or, improve your fitness and get better at pedaling the podium?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 19, 2014, 4:05 p.m.

I still shuttle. We did yesterday. Three cars/trucks on Seymour. Time does not always allow me to pedal to Dales and make the whole loop.
More often it is who i am riding with. Some friends still have the older bigger bikes. They may or may not upgrade to a new school bike. Or they may just choose to stick with DH sleds.
For me it seems to be a mental block.I just cant seem to ride the same terrain with both bikes. Maybe its the armor, maybe its the flats to clips, or maybe i just appreciate the difference on the bikes.I just never pictured me going down empress clipped in on my stumpy, just because every one else can. Some times its not just because i can, its is more like because i enjoy the two different types of riding experiences. Maybe i peaked with skill overall? i still have no idea what enduro means.

WTF, Over?

July 19, 2014, 7:51 p.m.

I still shuttle. We did yesterday. Three cars/trucks on Seymour. Time does not always allow me to pedal to Dales and make the whole loop.
More often it is who i am riding with. Some friends still have the older bigger bikes. They may or may not upgrade to a new school bike. Or they may just choose to stick with DH sleds.
For me it seems to be a mental block.I just cant seem to ride the same terrain with both bikes. Maybe its the armor, maybe its the flats to clips, or maybe i just appreciate the difference on the bikes.I just never pictured me going down empress clipped in on my stumpy, just because every one else can. Some times its not just because i can, its is more like because i enjoy the two different types of riding experiences. Maybe i peaked with skill overall? i still have no idea what enduro means.

and sometimes it's just fun to jump on the dh sled and make brapbrap noises as you monster truck over everything you had to pick a line through on your small bike

I rarely shuttle anymore, but it's always fun when I do

July 20, 2014, 7:33 p.m.

I still try to shuttle all the time. Either that or im pushing my demo up the hill for an hour just to ride a 10 minute trail

July 21, 2014, 9:39 a.m.

or, improve your fitness and get better at pedaling the podium?

I am at the fitness level that I can pedal the Podium up and when I do go on all-mountain rides I keep up with all but the most fit of my friends.

That said I remember running into a guy who was in his 40s on Fromme one day and while talking to him he told me that he used to pedal a 45-50lb single-pivot up Fromme back in the day and now his knees are absolutely trashed so I took that lesson to heart and try not to destroy my knees where possible.

Anyone up for some weeknight shuttles?

July 21, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

I still try to shuttle all the time. Either that or im pushing my demo up the hill for an hour just to ride a 10 minute trail

What most yuppy all mountain boys don't know is it's no faster pedaling your all mountain bikes up as it is walking a fully blown dh bike.

To each their own, everyone buys into some new technology for some reason.

Clunking is for retards.

July 21, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

What most yuppy all mountain boys don't know is it's no faster pedaling your all mountain bikes up as it is walking a fully blown dh bike.

LOL!

shirley, you can't be serious.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 21, 2014, 1:05 p.m.

That said I remember running into a guy who was in his 40s on Fromme one day and while talking to him he told me that he used to pedal a 45-50lb single-pivot up Fromme back in the day and now his knees are absolutely trashed so I took that lesson to heart and try not to destroy my knees where possible.

Likely failed to mention he was running a pie plate sized chainring though.

What most yuppy all mountain boys don't know is it's no faster pedaling your all mountain bikes up as it is shuttling and retrieving

FYP

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 21, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

sometimes this is true but its gotta be pretty steep and rocky and almost unpedalable. Like Eagle. Or the Seymour west powerlines.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 21, 2014, 2:19 p.m.

coughbullshitcough….