XC Race Warm up Advice

June 29, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

Need advice on how to warm up for hour long xc races. Any tips?

Posted via Mobile Device

June 30, 2010, 12:08 a.m.

Spin to win!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 30, 2010, 12:26 a.m.

What is "long"? 3 hours? Nine? Anyway, spin a small gear up and down a flat part. Once you're standing at the start (where, depending on the track, you usually should be early to have a good starting position), you can hop or jog in place or do some stretching exercises. Just make sure (unless you're really damn fast, but then you probably wouldn't ask for advice here) you don't get suckered into the way to fast starts. You'll be catching all those guys who attack the first climb at max pulse a couple of hours later.

Oh, I just saw "hour long". Then you want to go full throttle from the start. And definitely spin, spin, spin before.

June 30, 2010, 12:58 a.m.

First get a turbo trainer.
Alows you to time your warmup perfectly to your start time. As you can ride very close to the start line.

You should spend at least 30 mins warming up.
Starting with an easy spin and working up to near your lactic threshold briefly towards the end. Especially if your race is only an hour long. This makes being good and warm extremely important.
For more info I'd suggest Joe Friel's books/blog. He has lots of good info for endurance sports

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/

June 30, 2010, 1:07 a.m.

http://www.roadcycling.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/4/458

Or here's the long version of it.
An hour long XC race is similar to a Crit/TT effort so here's the uber technical technique to it.
Lots of good infos in here and from a BC girl too!