XC BC Cup Races

April 15, 2008, 8:55 p.m.

Anyone else racing the XC BC Cup series besides me here????

This is all a little different for me - I just moved here from Ontario where I started racing the Ontario Cup Series last year, and some of the 8 Hour and 24 Hour relays too. XC isn't very big here it feels like :crybaby: Or at least, I don't know where to go! I had to buy a DH bike and I am still debating about how much armour/gear to buy…Like….I'm pretty sure I'd go down on a lot of those trails without any, because we do similar stuff out East in our races in ol' spandex and xc helmets…..but then I see everyone else wearing …fullfaces…and it freaks me out (I guess mostly thinking of Burnaby and some of the tamer stuff on the Shore) - but we definitely don't have the crazy stunts/man-made stuff. Or the "riding down a mountain" aspect. haha! I kind of miss natural cut technical singletrack that goes up AND down (instead of just up, then down, one time only, lol). Ah well! New things to learn!

Anyway, so I am definitely racing the XC BC Cup out here but haven't really bumped into anyone else racing it!! I am definitely going to try every race and a few Canada Cups to boot - especially the Hardwood Hills Canada Cup back home…where I hope to kick everyone's ass after learning to ride out here and on the Shore :agree: ! I drove up to Merritt on the weekend to ride most of the singletrack where the first race should be - what a huge difference compared to the race that is gonna be at Burnaby Mountain. Not technical at all. Smooth singletrack with a lot of climbing. Strange! I should have brought my hardtail instead of my FS! Rode for 4.5 hours! But it was a nice warm and dry day/ride!

So who else is racing XC BC Cup?? What are your thoughts on the race series? How big is the competition out here? Are they fun? Do people camp out the night before?

April 15, 2008, 10:09 p.m.

We've got the best terrain for riding big bikes, not so much for the little ones. Although there's a lot of fun singletrack in this province. Most xc racers here are VERY good technical riders (the best DH racers were XC racers before).

The interior as you have seen is more xc bike oriented for sure. Fast and smooth! We've got a BC/CC Cup race here in Kamloops on June 29th. Its a fun and very fast course that is really easy technically but like I said its fast….. hammer time!

You owe it to yourself to do as much racing in this province as you can. The terrain, venues, and areas are beautiful.

April 15, 2008, 10:15 p.m.

I'm hoping to do the XC racing as well as DH, just have to figure out the license stuff.

Wayne, June 29th?? Crap, I think part of me just died. Hmmm… Fontana or Kamloops… bikes or cars… Any chance you can get the date changed? :P

22 Pride

April 15, 2008, 10:31 p.m.

When the snow melts in whistler you will find out that its not just famous for its bike park. We have some amazing XC here, same with Squamish and Pemberton. Come race the WORCA loonies races or the SORCA ones, then you will see xc is alive here. I will be at a few of the races, racing U17(or cadet as they call it out east).

April 15, 2008, 10:38 p.m.

I'm hoping to do the XC racing as well as DH, just have to figure out the license stuff.

Wayne, June 29th?? Crap, I think part of me just died. Hmmm… Fontana or Kamloops… bikes or cars… Any chance you can get the date changed? :P

First prize might be a Race the Ranch belt buckle. Convinced yet?

April 15, 2008, 10:43 p.m.

Why do Pano and Kamloops have to be at the same time:( Im going to be missing out on this Race the Ranch (well just the XC).

April 19, 2008, 11:44 a.m.

Switchbacks, a fair number of people camp out at the race site for the Cow Trail race in Merritt, but quite a few come from Kamloops and Kelowna and are there for the day only. It's a nice spot to camp but there is no running water, so come prepared.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

April 19, 2008, 12:43 p.m.

other than the snow today - come check out the GRMBA races - Island Cup www.islandcupseries.com or other races in squamish or whistler under grmba - www.grmba.ca

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com