What's up with CyclingBC

Aug. 31, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

One more point here. I believe the sport of moutain biking needs some unity, and right now our governing body, CBC, like em or not, are the organization that represents us. I think it would benefit the sport in our province to try and make CBC work for us and make changes that benefit riders and racers.

this.

i completely agree that there are issues. this is my first year being involved with CyclingBC, doing timing, and it kind of seems like there's a real disconnect with the mtnbike community. a lack of communication perhaps, and an understanding of what the riders want.

emails are great, but i think the greatest impact will be if people show up at the AGM and voice their concerns. i'm not exactly sure when this is (fall?), but i know i usually get an email about it. it's probably sent to all licence holders.

Sept. 1, 2011, 6:59 a.m.

5 or 6 years ago after a cbc race organizers meeting another race organizer looked at each other and said there has to be a better way.

The Grass Roots Mountain Bike Association was formed. Things were going along well for 2 years and then our insurance agent decided to go into competition with us and sell insurance directly to clubs bypassing what we were trying to do.

we said screw it if he wants to sell insurance directly to the clubs let him. GRMBA died and the said insurance agent is no longer in business due to his sleazyness.

if there is the will out there there are ways to create something other than cbc. i am at a point in my life right now where i do not have the time to start up GRMBA again however if anyone is interested you can contact me and i can provide you with all the documents ect to start it up again.

just for an fyi sorca is using the same insurance company that cbc is using this year. for club insurance per racer our cost is $15.00 i believe cbc is charging $36 for the exact same policy.

Sept. 1, 2011, 7:49 a.m.

Lady Gravity has a good point. Get out to the agm and make your voice heard. If you can't make it email Keith Ryan, CEO of Cycling BC, to let him know how you feel after this year and what changes you want to see happen.

http://www.westcoastcycling.ca

Sept. 1, 2011, 7:59 a.m.

CBC have had there share of challenges this year, especically transitioning from the amazing and talented Tanya to no one all that familiar with the mountain bike crowd.

Flip- your comment is easy to say considering that whistler probably has the most riders per capita of any community in north america. CBC needs clubs to put on races and I have no problem obliging so long as I get the support. The 'what's in it for us mentality' is not really what it should be about. We don't put on races to benefit our club, we do it for the cycling community and all racers, pro or otherwise to compete at higher levels, is that not a good reason. The decision to make everyone become WORCA members just to do ride of the valkries was very unfortunate and seemingly self serving for WORCA. Too bad that cheakamus, an open and inclusive event, was replaced by a new event requiring a membership to a club many riders might ask what's in it for me beyond being able to race this one event.

One more point here. I believe the sport of moutain biking needs some unity, and right now our governing body, CBC, like em or not, are the organization that represents us. I think it would benefit the sport in our province to try and make CBC work for us and make changes that benefit riders and racers.

just my two cents.

that's the thing though, CBC doesn't provide our club any benefits, except hugely inflated insurance fees. Our club's mandate is for riding in our community, and we totally kill it. The decision to be a WORCA member for the Ride to the Valkyries was the promoters, not our club's, if you have a problem with that, you have a problem with Grant. We put on over 22 XC races a year, 8 DH races and arguably have one of the more successful citizens race series in the country, sorca is in there too. It is not our job to put on provincial races, it is not in our club's mandate to put on provincial races, and it certainly makes no sense to pay a premium to be affiliated with CBC and have them do nothing to support our clubs. The whole structure of that organization is rotten, but that's pretty typical of most 'organizing' bodies. We'll continue to be successful, and we'll continue to have fun, and continue to put on fun events. CBC needs to have a hard look in the mirror and figure out what they're trying to be, cause apparently they're failing their membership all around, imo.

Sept. 1, 2011, 8:09 a.m.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, the commissaires, reg [HTML_REMOVED] timing people were great to deal with all year! Thx! Hopefully, with some direction and organization, CBC can be more on the ball for next year. Going to the AGM is a good idea.

Sept. 1, 2011, 9:24 a.m.

CBC doesn't provide our club any benefits, except hugely inflated insurance fees.

We have similar feelings here on the Island. We are losing members because folks (who don't even race) do not want to pay $36 for insurance to go on club rides.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Sept. 1, 2011, 10:04 a.m.

We have similar feelings here on the Island. We are losing members because folks (who don't even race) do not want to pay $36 for insurance to go on club rides.

Can someone explain why insurance is necessary in BC when everyone (ostensibly) has health insurance?

Sept. 1, 2011, 10:40 a.m.

insurance is required to obtain the necessary permits and permissions from land owners and gov't agenceys as well as the organizers in event of a law suit arising from an event being held on their property.

it is in place to protect those bodies the province requires in most cases a $5 million dollar policy.

if anyone is interested here is the number for oasis insurance 1-866-979-2747 ask to speak to shelly.

oasis insurance insures cbc, imba and sorca. i did have discussions with shelly in the spring when i set up sorca's insurance about having the "no racing" clause removed from the imba policy there by allowing a club to become an imba affiliate club, host races and only pay $10 per club member. she did indicate that she would be speaking with the loyds of london's underwriter for the 2012 race season about having that clause removed.

shelly also indictated to me in the spring that both sorca's and cbc's policies were exactly the same and that we were paying the same amount in premiums. $15.00 have to ask cbc where the extra $21.00 went to.

Sept. 1, 2011, 12:03 p.m.

OBRA in Oregon is another good example of an alternative organization aligning themselves outside of the National body (USAC) and being successful.

:canada: :england:

Sept. 1, 2011, 1:29 p.m.

The best thing that you can do is go to the AGM. The last time I attended was 2 years ago and it was held at MEC's Headquaters on the False Creek Flats area. Get your voice heard.

Cycling BC struggles with DH due in large part because their funding is received to create Olympic Athletes. Unfortunately DH is not in the Olympics and that is something that I doubt will happen anytime soon.

The other issue with not using Cycling BC is that the points have to be transferable to Canada Cups. The UCI would have to recognize the series so the points are applicable.

If you want sanctioned racing in BC, the creation of another body is a long road that no one wants to take. Get out there and support and or make the changes to the existing body.

Also for the record, the commissaires and the timers were amazing at Hemlock. If I were to continue I would highly recommend the group that we had this year to continue on for next.

Another note… using Whistler or WORCA as an example of what can be done in another location is a pipe dream. Whistler is a bubble that is not easily created anywhere else. Each location is different and thus must be treated different.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 1, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

Another note… using Whistler or WORCA as an example of what can be done in another location is a pipe dream. Whistler is a bubble that is not easily created anywhere else. Each location is different and thus must be treated different.

Dan

CoughSORCAcough…..not that I disagree, but it wasn't so much a comment about worca being successful as much as CBC offers no incentive for a lot of clubs to remain affiliated.

Sept. 1, 2011, 2:32 p.m.

As last year's Champion, I was extremely disappointed to show up to the first BC Cup of the year and have to sport the #500 plate.. I guess there was two more important cross country races, so we couldn't get a proper set of plates? That opened my eyes to the condition CyclingBC was in After-Tanya.

Also, thank you very much to everyone who volunteered to help BC downhill racing.. In no way is this directed at the field staff. Cheers!

Sept. 1, 2011, 3:12 p.m.

As last year's Champion, I was extremely disappointed to show up to the first BC Cup of the year and have to sport the #500 plate.. I guess there was two more important cross country races, so we couldn't get a proper set of plates? That opened my eyes to the condition CyclingBC was in After-Tanya.

Also, thank you very much to everyone who volunteered to help BC downhill racing.. In no way is this directed at the field staff. Cheers!

I don't know about Hemlock, but I notice you didn't race at any of the other races in the series. Can I inquire why?

Sept. 1, 2011, 5:44 p.m.

Hey folks,

Had an interesting conversation today while I was hacking up my golf game… yeah I was playing golf, with Cycling BC.

There are explanations for most things that have happened, and in time the reasoning will come to light.

What I was reassured was that they do not hate us, or wish us harm/malice in any way. Despite the fact that sometimes it may seem that way. Communication is where the issue lies, or lack there of.

I will be sitting down with them in the coming weeks so that we can discuss the items that continually come up.

Once I have the hard facts… not the internet ones… I will share.

Thanks people,

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 3, 2011, 1:23 p.m.

One thing I noticed is the lack of consitency when it comes to number plates. As Skogland brought up earlier, the Pros need to be sporting the low number according to standings, then the elite women, junior men and women, master, then senior.

It may seem petty, but that is something racers strive for. I was really proud when I had the number 3 when I was racing Neds a few seasons ago.

It doesn't take much to sit down and put the plates into categories before the event. Just dont drink Cariboo while doing so (pretty sure the Master 30+ was forgoten last week) :shhh:

There has been a certain race over the last few years that has been giving plates out at random (or giving the number 1 plate to friends), It doesnt seem like that much but we are racing a BC cup, not some grassroots underground race.

This has to do more with Organizers at this point, but it's something that cycling BC should be standardizing for all races.

Elite men 1-50
Elite women 51-70
Junior men 71-100
Junior women 101-120
Master men 121-150

etc….

I would also like to see the Expert and Sport sub categories brought back, I saw some huge gaps in the middle of some categories this season and last.