What is up with UCI

Sept. 5, 2011, 12:47 p.m.

First UCI announces a sponsorship deal with an unknown website from Belgium, that was formed in Jan 2011, www.rockyroads.net

Now we learn that they are asking Freecaster for 100,000 euro to broadcast the world cup. Feecaster in unable to make those numbers work, and will likely be done with world cup MTB

Are they trying to kill the sport, or are they too stupid to realize what they are doing.

I thought they had taken a huge step forward in broadcasting events live.
and I thought it was an even bigger step when I could watch worlds in HD on my TV on sportsnet.

Are the old boys from the glory days of road racing still in charge? or is there some sort of corruption taking place?

Sept. 5, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

This sucks big time. I watched all the races this year on freecaster except for worlds cause I wasnt around a computer so I watched on TV. I was missing Rob Warner and Nigel Page while having to suffer through the guy on sportsnet. This is a big loss I think.

Sept. 5, 2011, 3:40 p.m.

Yes this is bad news for the sport. I have really enjoyed watching the world cup the last few years. I don't under stand how broadcasting it free on paycaster has failed. It lets anyone (biker or non biker) watch the sport. If its one thing that the sport needs is exposure to other demographics. I wish they could separate from the UCI its bring the whole sport of mountain biking down.

Sept. 5, 2011, 3:41 p.m.

I actually like Peter Graves, the guy on Sportsnet, he is the voice of the World Cup and has been around for years, get him together with Rob Warner and that would be an awesome combo….

mtbskierdad

Sept. 5, 2011, 3:51 p.m.

damn, as if the serious lack of video/edit coverage of the world cups wasn't bad enough. I'm getting sick of getting all the WC coverage through photos…

nobody is this dumb.

Sept. 7, 2011, 10:21 a.m.

Bcbud you liked the sportnets coverage? The announcer didn't know any names, pronounced half of them wrong was and didn't seem that knowledgeable of the sport.

He had nothing on Rob Warner that's for sure.

Is this a footnote?

Sept. 7, 2011, 12:43 p.m.

Bcbud you liked the sportnets coverage? The announcer didn't know any names, pronounced half of them wrong was and didn't seem that knowledgeable of the sport.

He had nothing on Rob Warner that's for sure.

I particularly laughed when Hart pulled that huge whip and the announcer says "what a recovery!" when he landed.

Yeah, he didn't seem to know much about the sport or the racers.

Sept. 7, 2011, 7:13 p.m.

Peter Graves has been announcing since I can remember. He was up at blackcomb calling the Cactus cup races in the mid 90's.

I think he is more XC oriented these days, and hasn't quite caught up to the new DH.

He can only work with what UCI feeds them, there was alot of jumping around in the early part of the race, that would explain the missed names.

Sept. 7, 2011, 8:33 p.m.

Peter Graves has been announcing since I can remember. He was up at blackcomb calling the Cactus cup races in the mid 90's.

I think he is more XC oriented these days, and hasn't quite caught up to the new DH.

He can only work with what UCI feeds them, there was alot of jumping around in the early part of the race, that would explain the missed names.

All I can say is he missed half of the action, messed up most of the names, made me wanna not continue watching, and his most interesting piece of color commentary was that Steve Peat is considered a good guy.

It wasn't that he didn't have the info, it was that he came across as never having watched a race broadcasted before and didn't bother to do anything other than read some quick notes he was probably given. My 62 year old mom was making more intelligent and exciting remarks and she has never seen a race before.

Sept. 7, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

My 62 year old mom was making more intelligent and exciting remarks and she has never seen a race before.

ditto, and mine is 70

Sept. 8, 2011, 8:06 a.m.

She had you pretty young then hey?

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

Sept. 8, 2011, 12:07 p.m.

ZING!

Check my stuff for sale!