What are you doing to train for TOM 08?

Jan. 2, 2008, 9:07 a.m.

As the title asks?? How many are in the sub four hour crew?

Jan. 2, 2008, 9:12 a.m.

Last yr was my first year racing the Test and I finished in under 4 hrs … on my 6x6 freeride bike (36 lbs). This year I have a proper 25 lb XC rig, so hope to knock a bunch of time off overall. As for training, last year I spent a bunch of time on my road bike, rode the trainer when the conditions sucked, and of course did lots of riding on the Shore. No real "training plan", just rode a bunch and put in some long, slow endurance rides. This year I'm planning on using a proper plan.

Best of luck in the Test!

:canada: :england:

Jan. 2, 2008, 9:42 a.m.

Last year was my first time and I did 5 hours. I totally cramped on 9 mile hill and had to walk 80% of it. Last year I spent more time running than biking so I was in good cardio shape but had issues with some of the smaller more bike specific biking muscles.

This year I hope to take at least 30 minutes off; and would be very pleased with a 4 hour time. I am going to be splitting my run and bike training until after the Dirty Duo (March) and then probably focus more on biking after that.

I think once you get your base set; hills make the most difference.

Here is an example of a training ride (Seymour is my home base)

- Old Buck to Neds
- Neds down Bottle Top
- Bottle Top to Twin Bridges
- Twin Bridges to Rice Lake (push it in your big ring)
- Circuit 8
- Bridal Path back to Old Buck
- Old Buck up to Severed
- Severed to Bridal Path
- Bridal back to Old Buck
- Old Buck to Pangore
- Pangore back home

tecmo

Jan. 2, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

Just lots and lots of climbing.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 3, 2008, 12:32 p.m.

I'm hoping to simulate some of the climbs with interval training on the indoor trainer during the week then throw in 3+hour tough rides on the weekends.

I'm sure glad I don't have a 35lb bike to ride 65+K though- not fun! It would be a miracle if I broke 4hrs even on my 28 lb rocky etsx!

Jan. 3, 2008, 1:01 p.m.

I did 4:07 last year and would like to do 3:45 this year. I find there is 2 keys to the race. 1st, get up through Garibaldi Highlands as close to the front of the pack as possible. It sucks going through Jacks trail further back in the pack, you lose a lot of time. 2nd, have a good climb up 9 mile.

My training consists of just a lot of riding and a lot of climbing. No specific schedule though.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Jan. 3, 2008, 2:06 p.m.

Did a sub 3 in 2005 but have been a few minutes over the last couple of years with the beauitful weather. Just looking at it now, the difference in my best time and worst time (in 4 races) is just over 5 minutes.

It all boils down to going into the spring with a good base and hitting the intervals hard.

Jan. 3, 2008, 2:10 p.m.

I looked up my splits from last year; and have to agree that getting out fast early makes a big difference.

Here are some of my splits

- Start to Trail Entrance: 18 minutes
- I hit the Feed Zone at 1:55
- 9 Mile took 1:06
- Lava Flow took another 13 minutes
- Plunge took 50 minutes (it was very busy)
- Crumpit took 1 hour

I think to do 4 hours you need to get up 9 mile and lava in under 1 hour; and hit the feedzone about 10 minutes earlier. This will save time on the Plunge and in Crumpit because it won't be so busy.

tecmo

Jan. 3, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

How many feed zones in the TOM?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 4, 2008, 1:08 p.m.

I did 4 and change last year. Hoping 3.75 this year. I'm going to do some leg work in the gym w/ endurance road/mtb rides on the weekend. Plan on replacing my single speed soon and will start riding ss come spring.

I'm also thinking of joining a club for that extra push. Drop me a line if anyone is up for some early base miles on/off road.

Happy training everyone!

Jan. 5, 2008, 12:35 p.m.

If you need a liitle kick to your weekly training come out to our power training classes this spring.

http://westcoastracing.ca/index.php?option=com_content[HTML_REMOVED]task=view[HTML_REMOVED]id=20[HTML_REMOVED]Itemid=41

Jan. 5, 2008, 2:15 p.m.

The Power Training sounds like an excellent way to peak for the ToM. The web site still has the 2007 info. Will it be the same for 2008?

Jan. 5, 2008, 4:55 p.m.

I'd suggest heading to Mexico and drinking the water, just to build up a tolerance.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Jan. 5, 2008, 6:58 p.m.

I'd suggest heading to Mexico and drinking the water, just to build up a tolerance.

haha yeah, thats a little funny but so many people got extremely sick from that. I'm spinning 4 times a week for around an hour, closer to race season i will be doing a lot of sub 3-4 hour rides up here in whistler….. on top of downhilling of course.

Jan. 6, 2008, 8:22 a.m.

Training plan

- Drinking beer
- Eating nachos
- Screaming go [HTML_REMOVED]Insert name here[HTML_REMOVED]

I'm providing support this year. :D