Toonie #5 - Map/Info

July 6, 2013, 11:50 a.m.

Map and info for Toonie #5 on the NSMBA site.

Stages will be flagged by Monday evening.

July 7, 2013, 11:31 p.m.

This should be fun. Any features on Ladies that are a no-go? On Big Stupid, will there be the option to ride our choice of the wooden drop or the rock line underneath it?

Any advice on the rooty steps right after the skinny where Ladies is near the 4th SB of Mtn Hwy would be much appreciated. So far, I have not summoned the courage to attempt riding that.

Will there be a lifeguard at the pond? :P

July 8, 2013, 9:58 a.m.

This should be fun. Any features on Ladies that are a no-go? On Big Stupid, will there be the option to ride our choice of the wooden drop or the rock line underneath it?

Any advice on the rooty steps right after the skinny where Ladies is near the 4th SB of Mtn Hwy would be much appreciated. So far, I have not summoned the courage to attempt riding that.

Will there be a lifeguard at the pond? :P

The wooden drop on Big Stupid will be flagged off, we'll use the line under it.

July 8, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

Man. This seems like it could get nasty with people trying to race it. Anyhow, my best advice is to square this off as much as possible. Try to go as straight as you can from the bottom of the skinny through the roll. The natural line tends to take you so that you are turning going in to the roll, which can cause some problems. Straighter is better.

July 9, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

Ladies as a race will be a challenge for sure - there are a couple spots I often stop to build courage or adjust my line.

My plan is to ride normal speed and hope I can ride cleanly.

July 9, 2013, 2:58 p.m.

I'd say take things slow and steady up top on Ladies. The roller coaster wood work isn't designed to be pinned fast. Think slow and steady clean run instead of always being on the gas.

You could make up more time pinning the climb up to Big Stupid rather then over doing it on the tech.

July 9, 2013, 3:23 p.m.

You could make up more time pinning the climb up to Big Stupid rather then over doing it on the tech.

Oh, for sure. You could Stevie Smith the descent and still get your ass kicked by Mario Cippolini-ing the climb.

July 9, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

Pre-rode the course (as many looked to be doing) tonight - that jog over to Stage 2 is killer! I think that's the part that requires the most endurance, timed or not :D

Important note: There is a fresh tree down right after one of the hairpins near the bottom of Dreamweaver. It's about 8" around.

I sessioned that tricky root-step bit near the 4th SB today. I think the trick is just to keep close to the tree (to the right), don't fall into the hole on the left - and roll it slow. It rolls a lot smoother than it looks, but it is steep. Definitely there is no such thing as fast on a lot of Ladies - just smooth.

Big Stupid and Dreamweaver are really loose conditions - if you haven't ridden either since back in the wetter part of the season, be prepared to slide a lot. I had both wheels slide out unexpectedly on me a few times.

July 9, 2013, 10:05 p.m.

The wooden drop on Big Stupid will be flagged off, we'll use the line under it.

noes!

July 9, 2013, 10:20 p.m.

I forgot to mention that I came across the tree down on St. Mary extension last night and plan to go move it on Wednesday night.

Yes the under line kinda sucks compared to the wooden gap on Big Stupid, but I'd rather not have someone stack it and us continue to have lots of events going forward.

July 9, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

Curious what the turn out will, know a bunch of people not riding due to the long hike-a-bike to stage 2… camping out at the heron pond teeter with a lawn chair and beer might be in order… :)

July 10, 2013, 12:05 a.m.

Curious what the turn out will, know a bunch of people not riding due to the long hike-a-bike to stage 2… camping out at the heron pond teeter with a lawn chair and beer might be in order… :)

New rule, if you are sitting out #5 due to the west bound BP hab you can't come do the awesome #6 I have planned.

July 10, 2013, 7:44 a.m.

Curious what the turn out will, know a bunch of people not riding due to the long hike-a-bike to stage 2…

It's really not that bad. The BP is downhill from Ladies to Dempsey, then a bit of a hike after that.

July 10, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

6 should be GMG.

July 10, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

6 should be GMG.

going uphill