Sumas Smack Down

Sept. 20, 2012, 10:08 p.m.

I think the question is why are trails like squid line not being raced on more? Fun trails that are actually dirt and fun for everyone to ride for everyone? Hmmmm….. Kind of a no brainer
Btw…. Kudos to you guys on setting up progressive races…. Not slagging NSMBA but they could learn a lot from you guys in regards to trail selection for races

Sept. 20, 2012, 10:25 p.m.

burke is gated (thank god) so maybe it depends on the area.

I think it is based on the forest district. Sumas and vedder are in the chilliwack forest district. Isn't Burke a provincial park? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Sept. 20, 2012, 11:05 p.m.

I think NSMBA has a lot more landowner politics to deal with than we do.

Anyways, to get things back on track…

This race will be timed with Webscorer. For those of you not familiar with Webscorer, it is an app for iPad/iPhone that will allow you to get instant results on your iPhone right at the website or on webscorer.com. The overall race will feature "live" timing. Finish times will be posted to webscorer.com within 15 seconds. Just like at Test of Metal, Nimby…etc. Cross the finish line, catch your breath, and get your results on your iPhone. And the wife and kids, mom and dad, whoever, can follow along at home at webscorer.com.

We're going to keep you in suspense as to the fastest man and woman on the KOM/QOM and Super D splits until it is announced during the awards.

Sept. 21, 2012, 7:05 a.m.

Btw…. Kudos to you guys on setting up progressive races…. Not slagging NSMBA but they could learn a lot from you guys in regards to trail selection for races

As someone who is involved with the decisions on what trails to choose for races, its not as easy as you may think.

I'm sure the NSMBA would appreciate other people with great ideas to get involved!

The number one thing that FVMBA has going for it is dealing with ONE land manager per area that actually facilitates things.

Squid line is built to be ridden so ride it. If you don't feel comfortable doing so then don't.
One thing I've learned is the trails are pretty darn resilient. Seem to be more resilient then most riders.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 21, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

What's with the about-face edit?

To be honest, I am a bit puzzled. Squid Line has seen 1600 riders a month, every month, for the last 3 months. It is likely as "ridden in" as any trail in the valley. Because one of the best builders around was paid to build it, the trail can handle the traffic. I would suggest that all the other, volunteer-built trails on the mountain are far worse for wear, due to the increased traffic that Squid Line's popularity has brought. But you seem to be trying to portray Squid Line as some fresh, loamy trail which doesn't see much traffic which is in danger of being destroyed by an XC race with a max of 100 riders? Because it's "too dry"?

If Ewan has any concerns with the race, he is more than welcome to voice his concerns to us. He certainly knows how to get a hold of us and he's definitely not shy.

As for your now deleted question about why we don't just put up a gate to keep people from shuttling…that is in the domain of the provincial government. They don't want forest service roads gated.

The Quick edit was due to the fact I figured I went off topic with the Gate question.
I dont know why you take such offense to my thoughts. If you think its a good idea than good on you. At the end of the day you are the one fixing all the blown sections. I personally would not hold a race on that trail.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Sept. 21, 2012, 11:59 p.m.

If I built that trail (paid or not) I would be pissed you were holding a race on it. Was the Trail built for holding races? Was the original trail builder asked if he thought holding a race on his trail was a good Idea? Im guessing he would know since he built it.

We extended the courtesy to the builder last Spring when we were thinking of using Squidline in our Spring Series. He was fine with it then, which was before it was originally open. We didn't end up using it then. And he was also contacted prior to our race announcement three weeks ago and he didn't voice any concerns.

Johnie, Im a builder too. I can sorta see where you might be coming from. But your line of thinking can only work on smaller, hidden, rogue trails. That line of thinking doesn't really apply when you start to look at the big picture that Goverment, Community Futures and Abby Tourism has for Sumas.

Squidline was funded by Abbotsford buisnesses, Abbotsford Tourism and backed by the Ministry of Forest [HTML_REMOVED] GVRD (which I think is Metro now?). The money that was paid to the contractor to build Squidline was funded to increase ridership and attract mountain bike tourism to Abbotsford. FVMBA is backed and supported by the Ministry to further promote Sumas. All the trail FVMBA uses for our races, be it Sumas Smackdown or our Spring Series, are on trails that are legal and ones that we have permission and full support from the land managers to use.

FVMBA has worked very hard over the years to foster and build a working relationship with government and landmanagers for Sumas. Relationships like this are factors for why and how funding can be attained for trail development. $200,000 was put into Sumas last year for the parking lots, toilets, kiosks and Squidline.

Johnie, if your were a builder recieving the amount of money that was paid out to build Squidline, or any of the other future trails that are going to be built on Sumas, Johnie you would need to remember why you were getting paid. You would be bitting the hand thats feeding you Johnie if you true believed you could dictate who could ride and when they could ride said trail.

Squidlines builder knows how to contact Communities Future and FVMBA. If he had concerns about the race, Im sure he would let either organizations know. Unless you know something we don't, you might just be creating a problem that doesn't exist.

As already stated, FVMBA Trail Days have already been discussed for Squidline.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Sept. 22, 2012, 8:25 a.m.

Again just voicing my thoughts. If I new how to contact the builder why would I ask the question? i didn't intend on making everyone so upset. Thanks for answering my questions Matt.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Sept. 23, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

Overall Results: http://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=4175

KOM and Super D split times: http://www.webscorer.com/racelaps?raceid=4179

LAP 1 is KOM/QOM split time
LAP 2 is Super D split time

Sept. 23, 2012, 7:40 p.m.

Kudos to everyone that came out today for a great morning of riding. I was a bit surprised that there were only about 30 racers or so for this great event. The FVMBA race series gives you the best bang for your buck of any other race around. Free lunch, tons of swag, awesome trails and well organized events - come on folks, get out to these events it is well worth it.

Thanks FVMBA for the awesome race series, looking forward to next year.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

Sept. 23, 2012, 8:31 p.m.

glad the event went off well!

Could be a timing thing… people not into racing this time of year? People are more keen in the spring to get into shape. Now its time to fatten up for winter!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 23, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

glad the event went off well!

Could be a timing thing… people not into racing this time of year? People are more keen in the spring to get into shape. Now its time to fatten up for winter!

It was the first year for the event, and it was only announced recently. It can only grow from here. Matt is striving to put on the best races around, bar none.

Speaking of timing…the live timing with Webscorer.com was flawless. Instant results as soon as racers crossed the finish line. And we had the full results including the KOM/QOM and Super D splits within minutes of the end of the race. Look for some exciting stuff to happen with the Spring Series!

Sept. 23, 2012, 9:09 p.m.

And congrats to Gord Menzies who walked away with the draw prize of a $500 Thule bike rack courtesy of Cap-It Abbotsford!

Sept. 23, 2012, 9:33 p.m.

Photos are up on FVMBA Facebook page

Sept. 24, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

If my knee wasn't feeling tweaked, I would have raced. I think that there's a lot of people who are borderline burnt out at the end of summer. Also, if Saturday was any indication, the trails were loose, really loose. Any good carnage in the race?

Sept. 24, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

Just the carnage Ricky Federau and Sandra Walter did to the rest of the field. Winning overall and both the KOM/QOM and Super D splits.