Sumas Smack Down

Sept. 14, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

[ATTACH]8668[/ATTACH]

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Sept. 14, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

We were checking out halloween costumes at Value Village today and they had this awesome Hulk Hogan costume. I should have bought it.

Sept. 18, 2012, 7:25 a.m.

Pre registration closes Wednesday at midnight. Everyone who pre registers will have 3 entries to win a Thule apex 4 bike rack from Cap-it Abbotsford. On site registrations get one entry each.

Remember there is a 100 racer cap for this event…Don't chance it and wait until race day. Web scorer timing, free lunch, awesome draw prizes, and the weather looks perfect!

Sept. 18, 2012, 9:58 a.m.

It's going to be fun! I really appreciate (the race within a race) format. So I assume there will be some guys gunning for the overall, but a lot of us enjoying the scenery on the way up, saving a bit for the Super D. The Knob Gobbler/Squid Line Super D will be unbelievably exhausting in it's own right riding quick. It's a log way to the top though, hard not to burn a few matches along the way!

Sept. 18, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

Strava segments here:

Race Course

opening loop

KOM/QOM split

URL=[http://app.strava.com/segments/2409039"]Super D Split[/URL]

[URL="http://app.strava.com/segments/2409052"]finishing loop

Sept. 18, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

I just rode squid line and it is not in race shape. It is dry and blown out. It is going to be destroyed after the race. Are the organizers planning a rebuild of squid line after the race? There is going to be a ton of work needed.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Sept. 18, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

FVMBA Trail days have already been discussed for after the race.

1600 rider/month for the past 3 months and the lack of rain might have a bit more to do with the shape Squidline is in, not that there will be a race held on it. We won't be doing any major trail prep prior to the race. That would make matters worse. The mountain needs some moisture before any sustainable work can be done on Squidline and any other trail up there.

Sept. 19, 2012, 1:43 p.m.

A big thanks to our sponsors Mission Springs Brewing Company, Lifecycles, Clifbar, Avenue's and Doc's Autobody for a steller bottle stuff. Every entry for the Smack Down will be get one of these.

We will also be extending our CCN pre reg to now close on Friday night. This will ease the day of registration data entry into the Webscorer software, which will help with maintaining our on time start of 10am.

Sept. 19, 2012, 9:42 p.m.

FVMBA Trail days have already been discussed for after the race.

1600 rider/month for the past 3 months and the lack of rain might have a bit more to do with the shape Squidline is in, not that there will be a race held on it. We won't be doing any major trail prep prior to the race. That would make matters worse. The mountain needs some moisture before any sustainable work can be done on Squidline and any other trail up there.

That is my point. it is in ruff shape due to dry weather. Why would you send 100 riders down it in the current condition? I guess I just dont understand the racer mentality.

Sept. 19, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

That is my point. it is in ruff shape due to dry weather. Why would you send 100 riders down it in the current condition? I guess I just dont understand the racer mentality.

There's easily more than 100 riders going down that trail on any given Saturday or Sunday. Some are shuttling it multiple times in a day. In all kinds of weather. That 1600 riders a month wasn't a number Matt pulled out of his ass…there's a counting device on the trail.

I don't think it's realistic to expect race organizers all over the province to have a crystal ball to be able to predict perfect weather and trail conditions months in advance. Are race organizers supposed to just up and cancel an event because of the weather?

Sept. 20, 2012, 12:22 a.m.

Squidline may be in "rough" shape, but that didn't stop you from riding it. Nor does it stop the countless other riders each day from riding it.

Its ok if you don't understand the racer mentality.

Like WORCA and SORCA, FVMBA races aren't being held to be a cash cow. Our affordable races are to help increase our membership, which helps when approaching government to trying to gain/maintain/protect trail access. The money that is raised goes back into the club to help pay our builders and buy tools for them so they can rebuild trails that are in "rough" shape.

Have a brief read of how Squamish got to where it is today http://www.sorca.ca/sorca-a-history/

Sept. 20, 2012, 4:13 p.m.

I rode Sumas and Squid line for the first time last week. I won't be able to race but had heard about how good the mountain was.

Anyone describing the condition of squidline as bad must not ride anywhere else. There were one or two corners that were off camber /uphill that were slightly blown but 99% was butter smooth. I would even go as far as saying it was the smoothest, least blown out trail I have ridden all summer.

Sept. 20, 2012, 8:45 p.m.

There's easily more than 100 riders going down that trail on any given Saturday or Sunday. Some are shuttling it multiple times in a day. In all kinds of weather. That 1600 riders a month wasn't a number Matt pulled out of his ass…there's a counting device on the trail.

I don't think it's realistic to expect race organizers all over the province to have a crystal ball to be able to predict perfect weather and trail conditions months in advance. Are race organizers supposed to just up and cancel an event because of the weather?

I just would not choose a new trail to hold a race on. When it is ridden in and the kinks are worked out weather becomes less of an issue(No crystal ball needed to know that).

If I built that trail (paid or not) I would be pissed you were holding a race on it. Was the Trail built for holding races? Was the original trail builder asked if he thought holding a race on his trail was a good Idea? Im guessing he would know since he built it.

Sept. 20, 2012, 9:28 p.m.

I just would not choose a new trail to hold a race on. When it is ridden in and the kinks are worked out weather becomes less of an issue(No crystal ball needed to know that).

If I built that trail (paid or not) I would be pissed you were holding a race on it. Was the Trail built for holding races? Was the original trail builder asked if he thought holding a race on his trail was a good Idea? Im guessing he would know since he built it.

What's with the about-face edit?

To be honest, I am a bit puzzled. Squid Line has seen 1600 riders a month, every month, for the last 3 months. It is likely as "ridden in" as any trail in the valley. Because one of the best builders around was paid to build it, the trail can handle the traffic. I would suggest that all the other, volunteer-built trails on the mountain are far worse for wear, due to the increased traffic that Squid Line's popularity has brought. But you seem to be trying to portray Squid Line as some fresh, loamy trail which doesn't see much traffic which is in danger of being destroyed by an XC race with a max of 100 riders? Because it's "too dry"?

If Ewan has any concerns with the race, he is more than welcome to voice his concerns to us. He certainly knows how to get a hold of us and he's definitely not shy.

As for your now deleted question about why we don't just put up a gate to keep people from shuttling…that is in the domain of the provincial government. They don't want forest service roads gated.

Sept. 20, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

As for your now deleted question about why we don't just put up a gate to keep people from shuttling…that is in the domain of the provincial government. They don't want forest service roads gated.

burke is gated (thank god) so maybe it depends on the area.