Steve Smith dead??

May 12, 2016, 12:01 p.m.

It's sad that Steve died but if feel so bad for his mom. Must be horrible what she's going thru. All the best, stay strong.

How his Mom deals with this, I'll never know. She gave everything for him. May she somehow gather the strength to get through it.

Thread killer

May 12, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

How his Mom deals with this, I'll never know. She gave everything for him. May she somehow gather the strength to get through it.

She's posted some comments as Stevesmom over on the Pinkbike main article (the one with 1,500 + comments). People are sharing stories of how Stevie inspired them, it's pretty cool to see, small solace given the situation but it's something positive.

May 12, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

For me, Stevie Smith is the most important and influential cyclist in Canadian history. I will always remember my daughters screaming at the TV as he raced down the mountain, he will be missed like no other in our sport. RIP.

FYI, Gabe Fox does an obituary on the CBC radio program As it Happens, worth checking out.

May 12, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

I cried when he won, and I was sobbing all week. This one hits hard. Not because I knew him or anything, its just such a tragedy to lose someone so young with so much potential… and having to deal with that loss as a parent. I don't think I would have the strength to go on if I lost a child.

I can't imagine what Chinner is going through. That guy is a giver 100%.

Its a very tiny gesture, but all of us Nobl team guys will be sporting what is essentially home made t-shirts for this weekend's enduro race at Vedder, just to honour Steve.

May 13, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

I held it together for the most part, then listened to Gabe'rs piece on AIH yesterday morning….total water works, I don't know how he held it together for that interview. I think it hits us all so hard because he was a friend of friends, and the classic Canadian kid we all felt like we knew and watched grow up and mature into a well adjusted adult. He was hard working, dedicated, funny, and pro enough to make time for people without being an overbearing professional athlete with an attitude. He's probably inspired more kids than he ever realized, and I'm sure that legacy will play out over the coming years.

May 14, 2016, 7:21 p.m.

Just gutted over this.
The only reason I followed dh.
A Canadian hero.
Of all those Canadians who have lit it up on the worlds stage (from my perspective) I can only think of Gilles Villenueve to compare.

May 16, 2016, 3:18 p.m.

Just gutted over this.
The only reason I followed dh.
A Canadian hero.
Of all those Canadians who have lit it up on the worlds stage (from my perspective) I can only think of Gilles Villenueve to compare.

yep, Gilles was a hard charger as well.

Wrong. Always.

May 16, 2016, 6:51 p.m.

Us Nobl dudes got some tees made up to wear in honour of Steve at last weekend's enduro at Vedder. Just seemed like the right thing to do, albeit a small gesture.

My ten year old daughter designed it.

After 3 stages and 5 or 6 crashes, its now hung up on my garage wall.

May 16, 2016, 11:56 p.m.

Us Nobl dudes got some tees made up to wear in honour of Steve at last weekend's enduro at Vedder. Just seemed like the right thing to do, albeit a small gesture.

My ten year old daughter designed it.

After 3 stages and 5 or 6 crashes, its now hung up on my garage wall.

Very nice. Don't wash it.

Thread killer

May 17, 2016, 7:24 a.m.

Never. It is hanging up in all its dirty, sweaty glory. It only seems fitting. I didn't know Steve, but I'm sure he would have been stoked.

May 17, 2016, 9:01 a.m.

I may have told this story before, but here goes…2013 Crankworx Whistler. Stevie's winning everything in sight back then, he's in his prime. As I get on the Fitz. chairlift I see Steve [HTML_REMOVED] his cronies behind me in the lift line up. It was Remy Metailler [HTML_REMOVED] a few others. So anyways after I get off the chairlift I find myself on Freight Train just after the container drop. I stop, put my bike aside [HTML_REMOVED] walk over to check out the rock roll. I hear someone yell "Rider up!", so I yell back that all is clear, good to go. Well it was Stevie [HTML_REMOVED] his crew coming thru. My jaw hit the ground as I watched in disbelief at how fast they were going. I remember thinking to myself; "I wonder what sport they're doing, cause what they're doing doesn't look like what I'm doing, lol". The guy had incredible talent [HTML_REMOVED] a great attitude. The selfish part of me thinks why did it have to be him that died? Why did it have to be "our" guy?

Thread killer

May 19, 2016, 10:17 p.m.

Steve's mom posted on Steve's FB.

https://www.facebook.com/Stevie-Smith-101288309914913/?fref=nf

This is Stevie's mom….I would like to thank all of the followers, fans, and friends of Steve, for the awesome display of love shown for him. Whether it be through his Facebook fan page, Instagram, Pinkbike, or other websites, there has been a tremendous amount of messages…I have tried to read them all, and answer as many as possible, but I would need a team to complete this task. As his mom, I know he is wonderful, but I have also found, more than I could have ever dreamed, that people all over the world loved him as well. I love reading all of the "Stevie" stories and receive great comfort in them. I would also like to thank those who contributed to his "Go fund me" account. When the dust has settled, and I need to keep busy, I will come up with a way I can use the funds to keep Steve's memory alive. …some type of "Kids and Bikes" program will be developed. Again, thank you all for your kind words and I will make sure that the "Stevie Smith" story continues! Love and miss my boy! ‪#‎longlivechainsaw‬
Tianna

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 20, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

Steve's mom posted on Steve's FB.

https://www.facebook.com/Stevie-Smith-101288309914913/?fref=nf

Man, going through those comments is a tough read, lots of parents from around the world posting pics of Stevie with their super stoked kids and talking about what he meant to them. Hope the massive outpouring of support gives her some comfort.