Squamish Death Lap 2009

Oct. 30, 2008, 4:22 a.m.

i propose a friendly race-ish mega-lap in squamish that would cover (some of) the best of the technical riding, all linked together in 1 or 2 long pedally days.

was thinking of a point-to-point ride from cat lake, through alice lake, the highlands, and ending in valleycliffe.

for example, the course could include (in approx order):
cheshire cat, then across alice lake to crouching monkey, credit line, value added, and marc my word. then pedal over to diamondhead area to ride (my new trail), deliverance, gold, plunge, crumpet to fartherside, up pipe trail, then down labor of love and dope slope to finish.

the only crap (ie. road riding) would be getting from the top of perth over to diamondhead area - no big deal, just a quick pedal through the university and up ring creek a bit.

the whole route would be 8-12 hrs i think, not too sure. could be run kind of like the samurai, where most people take 2 days to ride it all. definitely an intense ride, you'd have to hate yourself a bit to want to do this. sounds fun to me.

september 2009?

Oct. 30, 2008, 9:18 a.m.

about 6 years ago and only for 2 years we had the sorca epic. it started in valleycliffe and ended at cat lake. for the fastest riders it was about 7-8 hours for the slowest about 15 hours. it has been talked about being brought back to life every year since then but there has never been anyone interested in actually organizing this event. if you are serious about it i know that there would be the support of sorca behind you to make it happen. if you want to pursue this idea further and want help drop [email protected] a line to start the ball rolling.

cliff

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:03 a.m.

i would warn you that flagging/laying out that course would be a nightmare. if you do it, i'll be the first person to sign up.

we are planning the same idea for here on the SSC. our course will follow day 4 and 5 of the BCBR and is going to run 1 week later, making flagging and layout a breeze.

unsanctioned and a big "club ride" is best with a few mandatory checkpoints (poker run) to keep everything safe. we will also be running it as a team event, 2-10 again to keep things safe.

good luck,
gary

Oct. 30, 2008, 12:15 p.m.

wow, sounds like fun to me!

Oct. 30, 2008, 12:34 p.m.

Squamish Super Ripper??

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 30, 2008, 12:38 p.m.

hey Cliff remember the points ride a long time ago where we would get points for doing some trails. Troy won because he did laps on Roadside attraction. Now that was a hoot!

Oct. 30, 2008, 10:44 p.m.

i've been thinking about this for a while.
i like the atmosphere of BVOD, but i want it to sample all of squamish riding. food and water stations would be scattered, as well as safety meetings as necessary to keep the spirits up.

the target rider is someone who loves epic pedally rides and is comfortable riding "black diamond" trails with a "trail bike", a xc helmet and no (or minimal pads). i know at least a couple dozen riders in sea-to-sky area that would be into this.

setup will be a lot of work.
the route would be detailed on paper beforehand. also the course would get pre-ridden over several days leading up to it to install directions at intersections and also have a "checkpoint" half-way down each trail, perhaps just a big # or letter on a tree that you keep track of and hand in at the end of the ride.

not that anyone would try to take short-cuts!

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:12 p.m.

Count me in. I love these kinds of rides.

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:18 p.m.

This sounds like something Circlip would like.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:25 p.m.

We've got some steam on a similar race over here in Cumberland near the same time of year. Something after the rest of the race season finishes… Keep us in the loop - some late season epics could really promote this area.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:35 p.m.

i've been thinking about this for a while.
i like the atmosphere of BVOD, but i want it to sample all of squamish riding. food and water stations would be scattered, as well as safety meetings as necessary to keep the spirits up.

the target rider is someone who loves epic pedally rides and is comfortable riding "black diamond" trails with a "trail bike", a xc helmet and no (or minimal pads). i know at least a couple dozen riders in sea-to-sky area that would be into this.

setup will be a lot of work.
the route would be detailed on paper beforehand. also the course would get pre-ridden over several days leading up to it to install directions at intersections and also have a "checkpoint" half-way down each trail, perhaps just a big # or letter on a tree that you keep track of and hand in at the end of the ride.

not that anyone would try to take short-cuts!

Don't need directions and all that namby-pamy aid stations. Otherwise it sounds good. Anyone who cheats in something like this should be garrotted anyway

Oct. 30, 2008, 11:41 p.m.

2 days, just a couple official stations…best bike event I've ever done was the 2 day second to last samurai, would love to do something similar…..

Oct. 31, 2008, 1:32 p.m.

sounds like there's enough interest to go ahead.
i'd like to involve sorca to make everything work smoothly and not have any land access or liability issues (not something i usually worry about, but i think this event has long-term potential).

will be 2 days to make it a little more casual and include more trails.
and i hear the suggestions about minimal checkpoints.

cliff says september is really busy with other trail events (ie. running).
october could be good, but the days are shorter.
what about august?
suggestions?

Oct. 31, 2008, 2:29 p.m.

Hey Clarklewis

I do not want to rain on your parade with your plans however I would like to help steer you in the right directions for an event like this you will need to go through FrontCounter BC and the Municipality of Squamish for the appropriate approvals for the event. We have been in talks with Cliff regarding the Test and the many other events that we have up here in Squamish. We would like to make sure that you do not run it on the same days of these other events. Let me know how I could help you along with the process.

Todd

:canada: Get out there while you still can!!

Oct. 31, 2008, 3:03 p.m.

thanks for the suggestion todd.
i realize its more complicated than i thought to have a properly organized event.
so, i'm started talking to cliff already and will do this properly with sorca's help.