Specialized Smackdown DH Sold Out!!

May 26, 2010, 7:38 a.m.

Specialized Seymour Smackdown DH is officially sold out. As a major part of the North Shore Bike Festival we are extremely pleased to see such interest in this event. The goal of the Festival is celebrate the bike and bike riders and through this demonstrate the popularity of our sport. Props to all that registered early. We will be offering a wait list for the DH so do let us know if you wish to be on that list.
The Festival has tonnes of other great activities;
TheLezyne Marathon XC has loads of downhilling in it (too bad you have to pedal to get to it!). We are quite proud of this course and anyone who rides locally will appreciate it for it's technical aspects.
The BMX track is getting a major overhaul including a rumour of paved corners ! Yes, within weeks we will have THE best track around. On Sunday we will host a BC Cup BMX race so be sure to come and see.
We will also be running activities for the kids on Saturday and Sunday. ESC will be hosting rides, races and a scavenger hunts for kids and families. Endless biking will also be building up the PUMP track so make sure to bring the kids bikes
Demo Bikes will be available for the weekend. Check out the other side and see what your next bike in the quiver will be.
The major brands from Obsession: Bikes, Steed Cycles, Different Bikes, John Henry's, North Shore Bike Shop, and Lynn Valley will be available to ride on some great trails.
Guided rides by Endless Biking and NS Ride will be offered through out the Festival- come out and learn some new routes around the shore.
Beer? Did someone say beer? Cyclebetes will be hosting our Saturday Beer garden. They will be serving up local brewmiester Gary Lohins top drawer Red Racer ales and lagers from Central city brewery.
So as you can see they are loads of activites, so come on out , perhaps volunteer and get into the Fest. Lets show our community that biking is big on the Shore, let everyone know about the North Shore Bike Fest!

Obsession: Bikes
Doing it right, right on time.

94 Lonsdale Ave. North Vancouver
Google Maps Link

Hours of Operation

May 26, 2010, 9:31 a.m.

Crap. Anyone got a spare entry for the DH?

May 26, 2010, 10:43 a.m.

Crap. Anyone got a spare entry for the DH?

tsk tsk…

You over sand-bagged on the entry.

May 26, 2010, 11:21 a.m.

I was planning on doing this race but I cant now. They opened registration for the average joes on a long weekend that had another bc cup race happening. Think maybe people were away for the weekend racing and didnt have comp access?

May 26, 2010, 11:25 a.m.

Think maybe people were away for the weekend racing and didnt have comp access?

obviously not, since it's sold out.

Race the marathon for a real challenge.

May 26, 2010, 11:32 a.m.

obviously not, since it's sold out.

Race the marathon for a real challenge.

touche

it would be a serious challenge racing on my only bike. A demo 8. Perhaps I'll just volly this year.

May 26, 2010, 12:17 p.m.

tsk tsk…

You over sand-bagged on the entry.

Somehow, I was of the impression that cycling BC required that elite entries had to remain open up until the day of the event. I've since found out this is untrue, and am now trying to get my sh*t together.

Anyone? It doesn't matter which category the entry is for as I can get it changed…

May 26, 2010, 2:36 p.m.

If I get called to work my spot may be available.

May 26, 2010, 3:50 p.m.

Somehow, I was of the impression that cycling BC required that elite entries had to remain open up until the day of the event. I've since found out this is untrue, and am now trying to get my sh*t together.

Anyone? It doesn't matter which category the entry is for as I can get it changed…

Elitist…

May 26, 2010, 5:14 p.m.

I was planning on doing this race but I cant now. They opened registration for the average joes on a long weekend that had another bc cup race happening. Think maybe people were away for the weekend racing and didnt have comp access?

I agree with this. I know of two stung by it. I understand early registration for UCI license holders but no consideration for citizen license holders? Could have opened it in stages to different levels of license holders and then the public. Going free for all on a long weekend with another race in progress was poor foresight. Unfortunate for those that pay for license's that help put these events on.

May 26, 2010, 6:03 p.m.

Going free for all on a long weekend with another race in progress was poor foresight.

Missing out after a month of 'license only registration' is even worse foresight I think. It's not like it was a secret or anything.
I don't think any of the license money goes to put on the races, it goes to insurance, sanctioning and such. THe money to put on the race, that is all on the shoulders of the organizers, using their concessions and spending money at the event really helps put on the race.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

May 26, 2010, 7:45 p.m.

I no nothing about race organization but understand that it involves heaps of work. I do not know how the money is doled out for putting on these events either. Matter of fact, I have very little knowledge as far as how the whole shebang comes together. I have just started racing in the last few years and my goal is eventually to do the whole B.C. Cup.

That being said, until then I will race under a citizen license. My issue with this particular situation is that a lot of people missed out due to the timing of when the registration was opened to the public. May long weekend is one of the most traveled weekends in B.C.. Tough for people to tell their families that they cannot go away as said person needs to be in front of a computer on Saturday morning to try to get one of the few remaining spots for an extremely popular event.

This is compounded by the fact that there is another B.C. cup race running at that same moment. A lot of the non - UCI racers would have been doing practice laps if they even had a chance to get to a computer. Lots of racers camp so have no access.

I was at home so fortunately got in but one of my friends got on the Monday afternoon as soon as he got home and could not get a spot.

I think this is easily solved by putting a little more thought into when it gets opened to the public so every potential racer gets a fair shake thats all. Or if you cater to one license, why not all in the sense of fairness to all that contribute to Cycling B.C.. That or add more spots if possible.

May 26, 2010, 10:14 p.m.

If I get called to work my spot may be available.

Stop teasing!

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 26, 2010, 10:33 p.m.

Doesn't Cycling BC offer a chance to register for the entire BC Cup series (at a discount) before the season even starts? Seems to me that would be the way to go.

May 26, 2010, 10:36 p.m.

From Cycling BC's website…

_Races with Capped Riders:

Some races have caps due to shuttle limiations, landowner permits and the like. But we recognize the fact that UCI license holders are vying for BC Cup points (vs citizen riders) so…
Races that require a cap will limit registration to UCI license holders up to two weeks prior the event. After that point, registration is open to all, so don't procastinate! _