Rampage

Sept. 29, 2014, 2:28 p.m.

Sooo - Andreu Lacondeguy…

And apparently back flipping a 73 foot gap doesn't turn the judges on anymore…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 29, 2014, 2:47 p.m.

I thought his run was awesome and was probably in contention for first, but the score was too high and it screwed up the 2nd runs a bit. He fast through tech at the top, no hesitation off the big drop etc.

Cam Zink would've won if he could have hit another feature after the insane 360. It was nerve wracking to watch that especially the second time.

I was really impressed with Semenuk and Rheeder's runs and Strait for pure speed and confidence.

Sept. 29, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

Stoked for Andreu. Wish Aggy was healthy for the finals.

:canada:

Sept. 29, 2014, 3:55 p.m.

Aggy and Andreu had the same lines with the same intensity in the riding - would have been interesting if he was in it.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 29, 2014, 4:07 p.m.

Lacondeguy was going to throw down a double back flip if he got bumped anyway so he probably is the clear winner regardless.

Sept. 29, 2014, 5:44 p.m.

Stoked to see AL win it. I found it well deserved, he was fucking fast and confident.

Sept. 29, 2014, 8:17 p.m.

Rheeder was robbed. There, I said it.

Seriously though, I did not understand judging on this one at all.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Sept. 30, 2014, 9 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the judges got it right, except for maybe bumping Andreu's score up a little too high and out of reach.
When forming your opinions on the judging you have to take into consideration the perspective the judges have Vs. ours on TV….no comparison.

Andreu's line was f'n huge and fast…what Rampage is supposed to be about.

And how about those canyon back flips…yikes

Sept. 30, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

if aggy's quali run had been in the finals, would he have beaten andreu?

very similar line, seemed about the same in terms of amplitude, slower overall but with more style and tricks

score was lower though

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 30, 2014, 1:08 p.m.

Agree with Bradical, the judges standing on the ridge can't see some of the details the TV viewers can see through the use of multiple cameras at 300x zoom.

Some things that I nitpicked and stood out for me were Semenuk's switch 360 and Rheeder's flip before the 360 looked like it was off a flat drop (?)

:japan:

Sept. 30, 2014, 9 p.m.

you have to realize the judging format is not like any other comp, think of it like big mountain skiing. You are judged on your line choice first, which in this case was out of 25. 25 being the gnarliest line. Andreu's line was steep and committed off the top, he barely hesitated into it, then kept the flow going, plus a huge drop, a few large gaps, then his super smooth corked backflip…and he was so fast. His line score dictates the rest of his run, all other componants of the run cannot go over his line score. I would have given him a 25 for line choice for sure….

as for the rest, too much traversing and not enough steeps, except for Semenuk, Zink and Straight and Rheeder…

mtbskierdad

Oct. 1, 2014, 12:03 a.m.

http://nsmb.com/call-norby/

Oct. 1, 2014, 9:35 a.m.

you have to realize the judging format is not like any other comp, think of it like big mountain skiing. You are judged on your line choice first, which in this case was out of 25. 25 being the gnarliest line. Andreu's line was steep and committed off the top, he barely hesitated into it, then kept the flow going, plus a huge drop, a few large gaps, then his super smooth corked backflip…and he was so fast. His line score dictates the rest of his run, all other componants of the run cannot go over his line score. I would have given him a 25 for line choice for sure….

as for the rest, too much traversing and not enough steeps, except for Semenuk, Zink and Straight and Rheeder…

Ahhhh - if only the commentators had explained this…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 1, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

I think the judges did a good job of ranking the runs overall, but I just don't get the scoring.

As an example, How did Zink only loose .5 points on is second run when his 3 drop wasn't landed clean?
And for that matter, what would his score been had he even straight aired the bottom third of his run? KS rode the same line, just as smooth with a suicide no hander off the drop, (a super tech. move on huge drops) then finished the line and scored lower???

As for BS. his top line line was also super tech, (although he was a little slow) but his layering of big tricks was superior to anyone else.

I think there needs to be more clarity regarding scoring. If big smooth tricks don't score why not just call it a Chinese DH and let everyone huck away.

Oct. 1, 2014, 3:21 p.m.

This is from 2 years but I'm assuming it is very similar if not the same for 2014.

http://www.redbull.com/ca/en/bike/stories/1331577123012/judging-red-bull-rampage

:canada: