Race the Ranch

April 25, 2011, 11:49 a.m.

Was the kid with the broken back wearing a Leatt by chance? Still on the fence about buying one…

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 25, 2011, 12:13 p.m.

Was the kid with the broken back wearing a Leatt by chance? Still on the fence about buying one…

We don't know what his injuries were - common sense says he was taken out on a spine board as a precaution - until we get portable x-ray/MRI for the trailside that will be the way. I'd like a Leatt brace, seen too many over-the-bar-to-head-plant crashes to deny their potential. I just wish I didnt have to update my armour to fit round it. Ah well, can't put a price on your health….

Sustainable will be around forever.

April 25, 2011, 12:18 p.m.

….and yeah, awesome event. The track was great, so many tweaks on last year made it so much fun to ride. Organization was great and even the podium presentations were done almost immediately so everyone could get away in good time. Thank you one and all!

Sustainable will be around forever.

April 25, 2011, 1:12 p.m.

If you guys are talking about a crash at about 3pm when racing was stopped for 10-15min…Junior Men 19-29 I think…just before the finish line…looked like he was out cold for 3-5min, but did eventually walk away under his own power, holding his arm tho…so a wrist and concussion is my guess on that one

April 25, 2011, 1:19 p.m.

You bring up a valid point, I didn't use the supplied shuttles at all. 4 of us used my car and did odd man out shuttles. Given the reasonable entry fee of $50 I was ok with self-shuttling. Furthermore those I talked to that did use the shuttles didn't have any complaints and said they got in enough runs on the Saturday and Sunday.

Maybe it was just my bad luck that i waited a lot longer than mentioned above, before eventually getting a shuttle with a friend. Others that i was riding with were feeling the same thing on more than one occasion.

Combined with the ever present wait at the top of the steep section i was definitely grumpy.

I'm not Irish, so i'm not looking for a big fight over the shuttles Cory - people were happy, and many people self shuttled. Good.

All the volunteers, marshalls and other folks who worked hard to make this race happen did a great job, and i had a another great weekend of racing in Kamloops. I'm not looking to bag on them at all, just giving my 2c.

April 25, 2011, 2 p.m.

Great event, other then fracturing my tibia on the first run of practice wooooo.

nobody is this dumb.

April 25, 2011, 2:11 p.m.

Combined with the ever present wait at the top of the steep section i was definitely grumpy.

Actually as a point of constructive criticism I have the following suggestion. Almost all of the Race the Ranch course is very easy. I think it makes for an excellent first race of the year for folks to blow off the cob webs and a great first time downhill race course. The only exception is the steep section at the top. I personally had a couple near misses in that zone. I think an easier and longer ride around the steep section would make for less of a bottle neck, where getting started again is very difficult. Split the trail early and route the ride around above the current steep section. Let it cruise down and join up with the race course in a safe spot.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

April 25, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

If you guys are talking about a crash at about 3pm when racing was stopped for 10-15min…Junior Men 19-29 I think…just before the finish line…looked like he was out cold for 3-5min, but did eventually walk away under his own power, holding his arm tho…so a wrist and concussion is my guess on that one

Not that one. There was a crash near the end of Sunday practice. We got to the top ~10:30 or so and there was a course hold. I didn't go look, but we heard through the grapevine that someone had crashed at the jump over the rock pile. Rumour was he had injured his back. My guess was that the paramedics were taking no chances and strapped him to a spineboard as a precaution. We waited patiently and were able to get one more practice run.

In any case, I hope he is doing ok.

Kudos to the organizers and all the volunteers. I had a great time. Just wish that my only crash of the weekend wasn't on my race run, but oh well. That is what you get for pushing a bit more.

April 25, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

A big thank-you to Ewan,Todd,Carla,B.O,Bart,Charlie,J.S,Zack,
Jeff, I hope I didn't miss anyone. - I appreciate you checking up on us. We arrived home safely.

Thank-you

Cookie Mum

April 25, 2011, 8:40 p.m.

Sorry to hear that saint. Check out mybrokenleg.com. It's been keeping me busy, healing vibes. How did you break it?

April 25, 2011, 11:27 p.m.

Not that one. There was a crash near the end of Sunday practice. We got to the top ~10:30 or so and there was a course hold. I didn't go look, but we heard through the grapevine that someone had crashed at the jump over the rock pile. Rumour was he had injured his back. My guess was that the paramedics were taking no chances and strapped him to a spineboard as a precaution. We waited patiently and were able to get one more practice run.

In any case, I hope he is doing ok.

Kamloops local posted on FB that his name is Mclean Silverton and he rides for the Cafe. He is in 5 South with compressed vertebrae. Healing vibes your way Mclean!!

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

April 26, 2011, 2:44 a.m.

interesting side note.

In the latest Decline there is a Athertons interview and they talk about Dans injury and neck braces. In the interview Rachel says she will be sporting one and Dan says that he will not…..I noticed at Pietermaritzburg he must have changed his mind. I think the fact that they all now wear neck braces kinda speaks volumes.I wonder why Dan decided to change his mind in the last month or 2? I plan on sporting one in the near future….hey if it's good enough for Gee, it's good enough for me(new leatt slogan?)

April 26, 2011, 6:38 a.m.

Yes McLean was injured om course on race day and has a broken back and thankfully there is no spinal damage. Will be in 5 South for a while and if your a friend stop by and show support to a fellow fallen racer. He was not wearing a neck brace but did have some armour on.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

April 26, 2011, 2:11 p.m.

Sorry to hear that saint. Check out mybrokenleg.com. It's been keeping me busy, healing vibes. How did you break it?

Front end washed out near the bottom of the inside line on the steep left hand corner up top, tried to jump over the bars to clear that wood lip near the bottom and landed awkwardly on the outside line with my right foot… followed by a tumble through the tape and down the hill. Could have been much worse though so I'm thankful I'll still be able to ride this summer.

nobody is this dumb.

April 26, 2011, 2:17 p.m.

interesting side note.

In the latest Decline there is a Athertons interview and they talk about Dans injury and neck braces. In the interview Rachel says she will be sporting one and Dan says that he will not

I think you mean Gee.

Check my stuff for sale!