Quality of racing(ers) in different areas?

Oct. 25, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

I believe it. There's some awesome trails in small towns and I've met some really fast riders who have come through van.

but you're right

when you have what? probably more than half of all riders in the province within a few hours, it's going to up the ante i fair bit

Oct. 28, 2011, 5:16 p.m.

4X Racing indoor season is starting in under a month in Abbotsford.
come out and see who know of what they speak.
Great laidback scene, and this year some vids will show it.
BMXers every Sat evening or Sunday morning.
Gary
Get the bikes ready…..

FVMBA Website

Oct. 29, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

the whole province is really. just more racers/capita here in the lower mainland

i've got bongtoke buddies back home who could humble the top bc cup elites but they've never raced and they likely never will

very very fast riders elsewhere in the province. there just isn't a race scene and they have no interest in pursuing it

like i said before, i know several joe shmo hometown heroes who could lay it down on both bc and canada cup circuits

Hate to break your heart, but just cause your fast on your local trails doesn't mean you can hold that speed on a race course.

For example, many who crush Phat Wendesdays come out and find themselves being pack filler at BC Cup's. Not to say it's hard competition necessarily, but being able to shred your local trails or a bike park doesn't mean your able to 'bongtoke' your way to first place.

Oct. 29, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

Think of it this way, if an 'average' surfer from the North Shore were to come up to Tofino, they'd be a hell of a lot better than 'average' relative to the local riders, non?

you're Hawaiian surfer probably wouldn't even get in the frigid water here :P

Oct. 30, 2011, 10:57 a.m.

Hate to break your heart, but just cause your fast on your local trails doesn't mean you can hold that speed on a race course.

For example, many who crush Phat Wendesdays come out and find themselves being pack filler at BC Cup's. Not to say it's hard competition necessarily, but being able to shred your local trails or a bike park doesn't mean your able to 'bongtoke' your way to first place.

stopping four times along the trail to smoke a joint really kills your time.

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 2, 2011, 5:20 p.m.

i'm relatively competitive in bc cup elite and back home there dudes who will hand it to me under all circumstances

maybe that doesn't translate to racing

but i bet it would if they could put the bong down for a weekend and make it to a race

Nov. 2, 2011, 5:58 p.m.

Agreed. I regularly get dropped by a couple of my riding buddies but none have beaten me on a race track. It's just a different kind of riding.

And I'm more competitive in BC than I was in the UK, but I think this is because most DH riders in BC dont race, regardless of how fast they are (or aren't).

Sustainable will be around forever.