Port Angeles NW Cup

May 15, 2011, 8:11 p.m.

If you've ever thought of going…..go

Cost of the race excluding travel,food and hotels(this could be costs at any race) is $65 if you ride on the friday and $55 if you just show up for Sat and Sun.

I showed up almost 2 hours late to practice on Friday and easily banged in 10 laps.
Sat i showed up late again and racked up 8 runs by the end of practice which ended at 1:00. They fed all the racers at the end of the day with a Pasta and Salad dinner for a bonus. Racing I only got in 1 practice run so it was 2 runs for the day but if you're a Pro you get 2 timed runs for your money. One qualifier and one race run.

The courses are awesome and change at every race. So far the 2 course they've had this year have been awesome

As an added bonus they were giving out 3 free videos(can't recall the titles at the moment) to anyone who wanted them.

Time keeping is top notch and hotseat racing is in full effect.

Due to Cats running different courses, full uninterupted runs happen almost every run.

Cat 1s and Pros run one course and Cat 2 and 3 run another course. With this set up, Cat 1 and Cat 3 practice at the same time and then Pro's and Cat 2 practice. This allows for riders of similiar skill to be on the course at the same time, so catching people rarely happens and "snaking" of one's run is a non-issue if you can wait 30 seconds.

Mad props to all the people who are involved in that series.

A special shout out goes to Greg and Denise who seem to time and time(no pun intended) help me out.

Oh ya Strobel won with Andrew Mitchell and Dean Tennant coming in second and third….ya Canada.

May 15, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

sounds like a great time, bryan. you jknow what's coming next - pics?

May 15, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

I can't agree more Bryan. I just got home and still can't wipe the smile off my face. Those Port Angeles events are the best races around these parts, and by a fair margin.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 17, 2011, 8:57 a.m.

for the few that went down, here are the results.
http://www.nwcup.com/uploads/Round_2_DH_Results_Overall_NW_Cup.pdf

nice job by the dunbar crew to own the podium(3 out of 5 spots).

And considering Timma is counting the minutes till he is in the Masters class…dude you were only seconds from being on the Podium. Considering that 4 out of the 5 guys on that podium are/have attended WC's…..:nono:

May 17, 2011, 9:41 a.m.

Someone in the old guy class laid down a solid run with a podium finish too! Although, I might be a bit biased - haha!

May 17, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

Yeah Tim, no Masters class when you are getting top tens down in 'merica.

Whats this I see? Glenn Franks racing pro.

May 17, 2011, 10:55 a.m.

Yeah Tim, no Masters class when you are getting top tens down in 'merica.

Whats this I see? Glenn Franks racing pro.

I think riding with his friends and getting the extra runs in was the motivation for that.

Must say the Vet Pro class could/would make a lot of sense….

May 17, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

for the few that went down, here are the results.
http://www.nwcup.com/uploads/Round_2_DH_Results_Overall_NW_Cup.pdf

nice job by the dunbar crew to own the podium(3 out of 5 spots).

And considering Timma is counting the minutes till he is in the Masters class…dude you were only seconds from being on the Podium. Considering that 4 out of the 5 guys on that podium are/have attended WC's…..:nono:

I musta got lucky or something.

Nice work Bryan, you looked pinned all week-end out there.

3 Dunbar jerseys on the Elite Mens made for a strong Canadian presence.

Angry Dad stepped up and raced Pro, but would have been on the podium in the 30-39 category.

May 17, 2011, 11:02 p.m.

This was a super fun little step down into a slight right and then a bit of air to hard left. Such a fun section.

May 17, 2011, 11:04 p.m.

oh and the fast guys were landing right beside the tree on the left…

May 18, 2011, 12:54 p.m.

Nice photo Bryan, that step down looks pretty sizeable from that angle. Such a fun section of trail.

May 18, 2011, 1:59 p.m.

This was a super fun little step down into a slight right and then a bit of air to hard left. Such a fun section.

ah yes, the ol' "air to hard left" track, I remember it well. I managed to loose it on the "slight right" sending my bike to the inside of the tree on the inside of the hard left then I flew down the track without it. Felt like a long way back up the track, round the tree to get my bike and all the way back again! I didn't podium! lol. Maybe I'll have to do the next one to get my revenge.

Sustainable will be around forever.

May 18, 2011, 10:21 p.m.

rep to whoever can explain the cat 1 2 3. too lazy to google

May 18, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

cat III would be beginner
Cat II not so much
Cat I even less
Pro

Sadly it sounds like they don't have mandatory bump up, but you do need certain results to be allowed to go to a higher class. I think 5 top fives or 3 top 3…or something like that. Seems they will have different courses for Pro/Cat I and Cat II/III

May 18, 2011, 10:49 p.m.

Previous to 2009 they had these cats. Semi-Pro was tossed.
Beginner(now Cat III), Sport(II), Expert(I), Semi-Pro(dead) and Pro