one issue with racing in BC

April 29, 2013, 9:13 a.m.

is not allowing kids a chance to race.

April 29, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

Agreed

April 29, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

The Island Cup DH race @ Cumberland had a Kids DH race. (Using the top half of the course)

It was a great addition to an already outstanding event.

Loud Hubs Save Lives

April 29, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

The thing I love about the NWCup kids is that the kids are included on start sheets and run the full course top to bottom. When we were timing those races talking to the kids and their parents in the start gate was awesome. So much excitement for them.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

April 29, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

Agreed

April 29, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

Guys,the last thing we need is our 6 year olds posting faster times than us.

Pastor of Muppets

April 29, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

Totally agreed. Both my boys race the grom race at Bike Fest each year and absolutely love it. Total shame.

On a side note.

At the Coaster this past weekend a person known around here that is fond of racing in a skin suit (for laughs of course) at this great grass root event was almost not allowed to race, forced to cover up and then severely chastised from what I understand for uncovering during the race.
I understand that for BC Cups, this is a no no, but this is a great, get together grassroot good time that used to be known for a person in a rat suit starting and ending the race, would pose an "industry" class that required costumes (Most often retro skin suits) and was more good time oriented.
I know its unrelated to OP but hope that someone from Cycling BC will see this and possibly tell their commissars to relax a bit on the grassroot scene as it meant to be fun. There is no points involved and only cash for pro's. Lets keep the fun races fun shall we!

April 29, 2013, 4 p.m.

Also why the F can't I have a gopro on during my race run?

April 29, 2013, 7:09 p.m.

Fines being passed out at events like the coaster are what's wrong with BC racing.

They went full UCI nazi on a fun event.

April 29, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

At the Coaster this past weekend a person known around here that is fond of racing in a skin suit (for laughs of course) at this great grass root event was almost not allowed to race, forced to cover up and then severely chastised from what I understand for uncovering during the race.
I understand that for BC Cups, this is a no no, but this is a great, get together grassroot good time that used to be known for a person in a rat suit starting and ending the race, would pose an "industry" class that required costumes (Most often retro skin suits) and was more good time oriented.
I know its unrelated to OP but hope that someone from Cycling BC will see this and possibly tell their commissars to relax a bit on the grassroot scene as it meant to be fun. There is no points involved and only cash for pro's. Lets keep the fun races fun shall we!

this "kit" was perfectly legit to race in down south, although the box head was only for cheering on the pros

April 29, 2013, 7:26 p.m.

The thing I love about the NWCup kids is that the kids are included on start sheets and run the full course top to bottom. When we were timing those races talking to the kids and their parents in the start gate was awesome. So much excitement for them.

only thing missing at the NWCup was you and "lets ride"…..just sayin.

Hope you guys are back next year…or just race the damn race

April 29, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

Funny how PA(I would think Hood and Stevens are doing well too) and the NW Cup are thriving at doing races and the BC Cups entries are shrinking.

NW Cup #1 received about 320 entries in some of the worst weather you can imagine and the NW Cup #2 would have had a turn out of about 450 racers. I'm not saying anyone is getting rich, but the series is killing it for ridership.

April 29, 2013, 7:37 p.m.

the races stateside are a totally different vib when compared to up here i was at a Norba race back in the day in WA and was inpressed with what went on , and i totally agree on getting the kids out and racing

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 29, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

That is why we got our son into BMX racing. Lots of opportunity to be on the bike and build skills.

Shameless plug ahead

Visit www.northshorebmx.com for info on BMX racing in North Van. If you live in Squamish, try www.squamishbmx.com.

April 29, 2013, 9:29 p.m.

Also why the F can't I have a gopro on during my race run?

Compromises your helmets ability to absorb/deflect an impact, or Im sure those cameras would to wonders cracking ribs/sternum as well.

Other than that I see no point

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.