one issue with racing in BC

April 29, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

Totally agreed. Both my boys race the grom race at Bike Fest each year and absolutely love it. Total shame.

On a side note.

At the Coaster this past weekend a person known around here that is fond of racing in a skin suit (for laughs of course) at this great grass root event was almost not allowed to race, forced to cover up and then severely chastised from what I understand for uncovering during the race.
I understand that for BC Cups, this is a no no, but this is a great, get together grassroot good time that used to be known for a person in a rat suit starting and ending the race, would pose an "industry" class that required costumes (Most often retro skin suits) and was more good time oriented.
I know its unrelated to OP but hope that someone from Cycling BC will see this and possibly tell their commissars to relax a bit on the grassroot scene as it meant to be fun. There is no points involved and only cash for pro's. Lets keep the fun races fun shall we!

I was at the top when they made him put on the hammer pants, everyone was pretty damn surprised. One guy didn't have a visor on his helmet and the guys at the start were giving him crap about it as well

australia was actually founded by criminals and its original purpose was for england to send over its criminals so the brits wouldnt have to deal with them in England, minding this was over 100 yrs ago.

April 29, 2013, 9:50 p.m.

I had a friend who was wearing a moto helmet at a DH race and a official was questioning him as to if it would have sufficient protection for racing bicycles…..lol.

good old authority without knowledge.

April 29, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

and to think, the promoters have to pay for the privilege of having those commissaires there, which actually means, YOU pay for that privilege!

April 29, 2013, 10:04 p.m.

Compromises your helmets ability to absorb/deflect an impact, or Im sure those cameras would to wonders cracking ribs/sternum as well.

Other than that I see no point

which is why half the starting line at any motocross event has gopros on the top of their helmets.

April 29, 2013, 10:28 p.m.

which is why half the starting line at any motocross event has gopros on the top of their helmets.

I asked a few years back and that was the answer I was given. Any reason they give for disallowing them their choice. Whether it is safety, insurance, fairness, etc.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 30, 2013, 1:30 a.m.

Fines being passed out at events like the coaster are what's wrong with BC racing.

They went full UCI nazi on a fun event.

I thought I heard "wind resistance" thrown into their argument about full Lycra not being allowed. The racers response, "Do I look like I'm trying to win this race?!?"

Long live the Rippers.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 30, 2013, 7:37 a.m.

I asked a few years back and that was the answer I was given. Any reason they give for disallowing them their choice. Whether it is safety, insurance, fairness, etc.

I understand why they think they're doing it, I'm just suggesting it's not actually based on any type of actual legitimate reason, just conjecture and whim.

April 30, 2013, 8:34 a.m.

http://cyclingbc.net/cycling-bc/rules/

Further, use of any kind of video camera during a BMX, Downhill, 4-Cross, or Dual Slalom race or practice is forbidden. The reasons for this are as follows:
1. Use of video devices can encourage unsafe behaviour while racing – that is, riders may be encouraged to take unnecessary risks in order to “get a good shot”,
2. Use of such cameras can void the certification of helmets and other safety equipment, and
3. In the event of a crash, attachment of such cameras to the rider’s helmet, body, or bicycle can greatly increase the possibility of severe injury if the rider lands on the camera, or if the camera catches on the ground or some other object.

I'm personally not buying any of it, but thems the rules

April 30, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

can encourage unsafe behaviour to get a good shot! hahahaha, yeah, cause trying to go as fast as possible down a steep rough hill is already so safe!

April 30, 2013, 9:32 a.m.

I thought I heard "wind resistance" thrown into their argument about full Lycra not being allowed. The racers response, "Do I look like I'm trying to win this race?!?"

Long live the Rippers.

Although the aero nature of lycra obviously would have cut a half a minute from his time I think stopping to get changed during your run should have evened the playing field.

April 30, 2013, 9:39 a.m.

can encourage unsafe behaviour to get a good shot! hahahaha, yeah, cause trying to go as fast as possible down a steep rough hill is already so safe!

haha, and with all the trees, rocks, logs etc to crash on, they're worried about a little camera hurting you.

April 30, 2013, 10:18 a.m.

At the end of the day they can make what ever rules they want as they are the man, but it seems that those rules take more fun out of the sport than the safety they think they are putting back into it.

I feel pretty fortunate that racing in America is an option for me. I realize that the race organizers are putting us at a greater risk by letting us enjoy ourselves but I think the risk is worth it. If you like racing, take a drive down and check it out.

Even spectating is more fun down there, but even it carries its own risks.

I think if one goes back to the pics I posted at the start of this thread it really does sum up what is wrong with racing in BC. Lets make racing fun and lets broaden the scope of riders who can partake in that fun.

April 30, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Wait until people start using these

Im sure the there is some info in this site under the headlight section that relates to helmet cams

Never witnessed any amateur moto events since go pros came out but Im sure AMA corporate sponsorship trumped any possible head related risk. Plus everyone knows the adhesive will tear off at moto speeds:|

Almost sounds like there is room for a gravity series in BC completely separate of Cycling BC

Anyway, Ive got to make coffee, bunch and get a ride in

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 30, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

How young can they race at the NWCup series?

Looks at the results there is a Cat2 0-14 category listed. They had 11 racers in it.

The Coaster has a 13-14 cat and it had 10 racers.

Is there really many kids under 13 out there that are being left out?

April 30, 2013, 1:04 p.m.

I think the kid in the first pic with the dangerous gopro mounted to his head is 7.

Personally I think one left out is too many, but hey, I like to see kids having fun

Oh and the Cat was one by an 8 yr old. You may have heard of him, his name is Jackson Goldstone and is a BC kid.