North Shore Bike Fest Tales and results - and an article.

May 25, 2009, 12:40 p.m.

Oh man that jersey makes the Steed jersey look subdued.

May 25, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

additionally, there is no, not one, good excuse for all the gu wrappers all over the trail, anyone seen dropping one on the ground should be immediately disqualified…..you managed to carry it until you needed it, so put it back in your F'ing jersey you littering pieces of trash….that really disappointed me.

todd

yeah, I agree
it is so easy to put the gu into a plastic flask ahead of time, and it is much easier and faster to consume on the trail.
some events do disqualify you for littering
but in this case, it will have to be up to us considerate riders to clean up any wrappers left. rep to anyone who does

May 25, 2009, 1:08 p.m.

yup, first real xc race in a long time and I had a blast……re. awards, in all fairness, I don't know who did or didn't wait around, but at 2:15 they were telling us 3:30 before awards and we'd been sitting around frying in the sun for nearly 3 hours already at that point…..that's a long time to wait and people had long drives back to places……

and I have something to say about getting the hell off the track when people behind you are riding…..stash your ego's in your back pocket, when someone's on the bike, and you aren't and they're climbing something steep and tech, and cleaning it, and shouting out for track OVER and OVER and OVER again, get the hell out of the way!

additionally, there is no, not one, good excuse for all the gu wrappers all over the trail, anyone seen dropping one on the ground should be immediately disqualified…..you managed to carry it until you needed it, so put it back in your F'ing jersey you littering pieces of trash….that really disappointed me.

but I digress, I loved the course, did way better than I expcted and want to say thanks for all the hard work in putting on this event, cheers team!

todd

Fair enough. There are valid reasons people can't hang around but people stayed away in droves. All who stayed or returned did get a draw prize. But there were very few who came back including most of those who were winners of their divisions. James et al did not have to put on the event which was an awesome event so a little more, a lot more support by simply showing up for awards would have been a good message.

Agree about goo wrappers. No excuse for the number of go packs I saw. Bottles yes. They jump out when your not looking. I heard one person complaining that there were no cups at the feed stations. He'd forgotten or lost his bottle. Who's fault is that brother.

Rules are, if some one yells "track" the rider in front must yield if it is safe to do so. At the same time, I've been in thr "conga line" 16 riders back from the front and there is no room to pass then some dough head yells track! Expert Expert! Dude, if your expert what are you doing back here with guys who are old enough to be your Dad? Message is, your already out of contention if this far back so show some class and just ride it out. And do not try and cut off the old guy in a bad spot because I will not let you do it as some one found out. I may not be that fast anymore, but I am racing too, in my categorie.

Most of all it was the best race I've done in years. Real XC course. One big lap. Happy people all over.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 25, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

we really wanted to stay for the awards, and finally our big group had to leave at about quarter to 3 to make it to a friends bbq….I don't disagree with you at all, but that was a LONG time to wait for awards after an event, I know they worked hard to put it on, and I told them all personally how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes you have to leave though, and I know a lot of people that that happened to, no disrespect intended by anyone I'm sure.

I understand what you're saying about passing, the guys I ended up scolding weren't that old, and there was only a few of them, but they were to proud to step aside for a second and let me continue pedalling up the trail…..finally after the one guys said "where do you think you're going to pass?" and I said "here" and prceeded to hammer by all 3, it made me warm and fuzzy on the inside :) …..loved the big single lap, and the super gnar tech bits, a great mtb course, thanks James!

May 25, 2009, 1:30 p.m.

Oh man that jersey makes the Steed jersey look subdued.

Maybe you haven't seen the new Steed Jersey, the new Steed Jersey is much brighter than that BC Champion jersey. In fact I'm curious to know where they hide all the batteries. During registration I had to double layer my sunglasses in order to prevent permanent blinding from the Steed XC racers.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

May 25, 2009, 1:36 p.m.

Nice work Karaleen!

Great seeing you on Sunday!

May 25, 2009, 1:46 p.m.

I understand what you're saying about passing, the guys I ended up scolding weren't that old, and there was only a few of them, but they were to proud to step aside for a second and let me continue pedalling up the trail…..finally after the one guys said "where do you think you're going to pass?" and I said "here" and prceeded to hammer by all 3, it made me warm and fuzzy on the inside :) …..loved the big single lap, and the super gnar tech bits, a great mtb course, thanks James!

You dealt out Karma buddy. That is funny. That's a good pass. That's my kind of class. I love that kind of energy. Years ago I was doing a pass of about six guys all Masters 35-45 (yeah a while ago)and I bobbled. One guy says if you're gonna pass pass! So I nailed it and dropped the entire bunch. Looked back to see a gap, and then I was on a steep pitch in the wrong gear so ihad to jam again and put a bigger hurt on them. One more steep pitch where I forgot to shift down again and I never saw them again other than Mitch but he couldn't catch me and I won the race. Vedder Mountain around 1993 I think.

Saturday on Severed I pulled over because some guy chattering behind me and I thought he wanted by, but no, he liked my line and asked me to keep pinnin' it. I went faster from that.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 25, 2009, 2:02 p.m.

Great race, great course. I love courses like that where you actually have to know how to ride a mountain bike, and not just be able to climb. I only found there were a couple of people being dicks about forcing a pass or not letting me pass, overall a pretty solid vibe (at least in the middle of the pack). Often I will just conserve my energy and ride it out until the trail widens and I can pass without having to pin it or cut someone off.

I too did not stick around for the awards as it was quite a wait and I had family commitments to get to. Felt bad for leaving but had to go. Though, I do think they could have made it more clear as to when and where the awards were taking place.

Graham

It's all about fun.

My Blog

May 25, 2009, 2:10 p.m.

As a race organizer and one of the people responsible for clean up, racers who leave trash during their race is perfectly acceptable to me. Their focus is racing and so it should be. Let the vollies pick it up. That's part of the reason why we're here.

I'd rather that racers pack it out but whatever… if they want to drop it, so be it. Not everyone shares this same sentiment that I do though. Racing is racing and their focus should 100[HTML_REMOVED]#37; be racing and knowing that the organizers of the event will take care of them. Bystanders are a different story - you litter your hands get lopped off. I actually think team managers should be partially responsible, definitely not the racers.

We had mostly all of our water bottles picked up by the racers who threw them out in last year's race.

Course breakdown consists of trashing all that course ribboning, so a few goo packets means nothing.

May 25, 2009, 2:25 p.m.

Maybe you haven't seen the new Steed Jersey, the new Steed Jersey is much brighter than that BC Champion jersey. In fact I'm curious to know where they hide all the batteries. During registration I had to double layer my sunglasses in order to prevent permanent blinding from the Steed XC racers.

lol… bright or not it looks a helluva lot better than that speed trap you're wearing!

May 25, 2009, 2:34 p.m.

Glad you all enjoyed the race!

We had 4:00 for the awards and were advised not to change it. We didn't think everyone would be that fast! And we were supposed to have a beer garden to help you pass the time…

Next year we'll have it earlier. or maybe we'll have a beer garden!

All the marshals had garbage bags and were instructed to remove all course ribbons, markers and garbage on the trails. We had another person sweep the entire course for left over markings and garbage.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see trail markings on a course weeks after the event is over.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 25, 2009, 2:52 p.m.

Was down by Twin Bridges yesterday and there is some flagging there ( i figured it would get to eventually and isn't left behind) so it made me wondered if anyone makes bio-degradable flagging tape.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 25, 2009, 2:59 p.m.

Was down by Twin Bridges yesterday and there is some flagging there ( i figured it would get to eventually and isn't left behind) so it made me wondered if anyone makes bio-degradable flagging tape.

Was it Cycling BC Tape? Should have been picked up. James and I will be doing a lap of the course over the week to make sure everything looks ok after the race.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 25, 2009, 3:13 p.m.

Results for the Smackdown DH and the Marathon XC are posted at: www.northshorebikefest.com

May 25, 2009, 3:24 p.m.

Results are posted at www.northshorebikefest.com so check them out, along with the results for the other races and events that took place. The doublecross looks like it must have been a blast! I was marshalling at M6 which was the connection to Bridal Path after the little climb up Willys Way or Karen's Trail (I'm not sure what it was called). My perspective everyone was having fun, being as courteous as they could and moving over if asked. Even the pros had grins on their faces! Cleaning up was part of our duties as volunteers so don't worry about leaving garbage on the trail. Of course its nice to not have to pick crap up, but it is a race course and chucking empty bottles and stuff to save weight is part of racing. Overall a beautiful day and a wicked course with REAL singletrack and technical! I'd suggest registering early as it will fill up for sure. The DH definitely was maxed out on racers. See ya next year for sure!