NIMBY Fifty 2014

Feb. 16, 2014, 8 a.m.

UPDATE: April 16, 2014 - The course has been updated and a new map is out. Checkout latest NIMBY blog post for details.

It's that time again, time to sign up and chat NIMBY Fifty! The flood gates are open: registration opened yesterday at 4:20pm and we pushed out a quick blog/newsletter to sum up some of the fun new things. Blog is right here.

Here are the highlights (full details in the blog):

Platinum Club - Train hard, ride fast. Those who finish the race under 2:45:00 (MEN) and 3:15:00 (WOMEN), will gain NIMBY Platinum Status, which means the following year you get to start in the Platinum corral, which is going to be cordoned off right behind the pro/elite riders. Plus you get plain old recognition, a special prize and bragging rights.

Boréale Biking Trip Giveaway - We got a call from some folks in the Yukon who wanted to award one of our racers and a friend with an awesome trip. So we jumped at the opportunity. Register before April 1 and you'll be entered into a draw to win this trip.

Done NIMBY Fifty every year since the beginning? - Done NIMBY since the beginning without missing a year? Then signup for this year's race and you'll get something super special. At the moment what you'll get is top secret, but here's a hint. We're working with Chromag on the memento.

Last but not least, we'd like to welcome aboard our Official Presenting Sponsor - Chromag Bikes.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

Feb. 16, 2014, 8:45 a.m.

Platinum by 17 seconds :)

I'll take it though. I need all the help I can get to get the time I want this year!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 17, 2014, 9:26 p.m.

God help us all

Feb. 18, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

Just signed up! 5 year club yes, 2:45 club I wish. Hoping 3:15 this time. To anyone thinking about it DO IT! you wont regret it.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 18, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

sounds like a good intro to pemby trails (i'm completely oblivious to what's up there). would it make for a fun day in non race mode?

Feb. 18, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

sounds like a good intro to pemby trails (i'm completely oblivious to what's up there). would it make for a fun day in non race mode?

negative.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 18, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

sounds like a good intro to pemby trails

yes!

would it make for a fun day in non race mode?

er, well, the first half definitely would. after that it comes down to how close your personal definition of fun comes to the official definition of suffering

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 18, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

Outside the platinum club by 3 minutes. Guess that's something to shoot for.

Perry, my pre-ride last year left me shattered, learning yet again why the Mosquito Lake section deserve its name. It is a very hard day on the bike.

flickr

Feb. 18, 2014, 2:24 p.m.

I managed to make the Platinum club last year.
I know its not cool- but loved riding my rocky mtn Instinct 29er on that course.

Definitely think it is one of the hardest point to point races in the STS.

This description from Cerealkilla' describes it perfectly.

Quick summary

1[HTML_REMOVED] Steep gravel road climb at the start to the Radio tower, ramps up in sections. Probably 10-12 minutes or so. You're so pumped at this point, you can ignore the gravel being spun into your teeth by the bikes in front of you.

2[HTML_REMOVED] Happy trail, whole bunch of switchbacks, nothing horribly steep, but lots of momentum sucking twists and dips. You're thinking at this point that it's kind of nice and not so bad because there's too many people around you to really allow you to let it out.

2.5[HTML_REMOVED] Long gently sloped spin climb between Happy and Nimby- doesn't seem like much but it taxes you.

3[HTML_REMOVED] Nimby climb - more and more switchbacks. Not overly steep until the top where it ramps up some super granny climbs and a few loose techy bits. This is the biggest part of the course climb-wise. Expect to spend a third of your race +/- on this section. Halfway up, you will wonder if it is ever going to end. You now wish you brought more water

4[HTML_REMOVED] Short gravel climb up to Overnight Sensation, like 5 minutes witha few waterbars. Easy, but painful as you just descended Fifty for 5 minutes and your legs still hurt from Nimby. For Pete's sake you think, will this climbing ever end?

5[HTML_REMOVED] Climb up to sphincter. Kind of loose, and goes in stages. Goes on for a while, and has a few nasty punch climbs where little gears are loved. At this point, you may have an emotional moment, and consider reversing course to the feedzone or just hanging out at the lake. Stupidity or stubborness will push you onward.

6[HTML_REMOVED] Climb up to No Err (after the overlap). This part really hurts your soul. Definitely the hardest piece of climbing on the course. Very very punchy. A little part you will die on this climb. Halfway up this climb you'll feel as bad as the day your first pet died.

7[HTML_REMOVED] The climb back up to the overlap (after No Err). Now you're just climbing to survive. There is no actual signal travelling from the brain to the legs to tell you to spin, your broken, dirty, cramped, and resentful body simply is stuck in a repetitive spasm of cycling-like movements.

8[HTML_REMOVED] The road. No, not really a climb, but it'll feel like one. I guarantee there will be a strong headwind (or at least feel like one), and you'll probably cry for the entirety of the 2-3km spin to the finish.

9[HTML_REMOVED] the final climb[HTML_REMOVED] onto the massage table. Don't cramp up like a gimp at this point like I did last year and need assistance from the nice massage therapist to make it onto the table, that's really humiliating.

Yeah, so a bit of climbing to be done.

Feb. 18, 2014, 2:59 p.m.

How would it compare to doing Comfortably Numb from the village?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:01 p.m.

^ok, now that you put it that way, not looking so jolly. do the downs adequately offset the ups, or is this just a masochistic sufferfest?

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

^ok, now that you put it that way, not looking so jolly. do the downs adequately offset the ups, or is this just a masochistic sufferfest?

the three main descents are very fun, but there is no rest if your racing. still, way more payoff then kill me thrill me - Comfortably Numb IMO.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

it's early in the year, and I'm pondering entering, again….never seem to really want to pull the trigger though, and I think I still have an entry from photoing a couple years back, right nimby boys?! ;)

I actually don't mind just riding the course with people pre-riding, it's the race pace that makes me scared like a little girl!

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:22 p.m.

add in Kill Me Thrill Me and a ride back on the road after

Feb. 18, 2014, 3:28 p.m.

it's the race pace that makes me scared like a little girl!

True that.

er, well, the first half definitely would. after that it comes down to how close your personal definition of fun comes to the official definition of suffering

This was a good laugh. I don’t see it as a sufferfest because the trails are fantastic. But, it’s definitely a gut check.

Not comparable at all, IMO. CN isn’t that much overall elevation, doesn’t have the Nimby punchy climbs (that flat out ruin you), and a ton of that CN loop is on pavement. Because of the way things stack up on Nimby, you're also moving at a steady pace whether you like it or not.

Can't wait!