NIMBY Fifty 2014

May 26, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

Oh, and the mozzies were as bad as I've seen them anywhere. Ever.

Bring bug dope if you're riding this week.

May 31, 2014, 9:14 p.m.

Savage day on the trails as ever. The road start was a bit of a gong. People trying to win before the start!

See you got a solid result Todd. Nice.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 31, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

Was the chute open on overnight sensation? Either way I got confused and rode the easy way round :(

May 31, 2014, 10:40 p.m.

No it was taped off.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 1, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

yeah, I took a sneaky line before the tape and found myself on the wrong side about to drop into the chute, which I wouldn't have minded to be honest….but ducked back under to the go-around

Yeah, JCL, I had a really good day, couldn't ask for better weather or trail conditions and my knee didn't act up too much. Kept it cool up the first climbs, recovered behind people on happy/nimby and would peel off a few passes at a time when people would get hung up on switchbacks and stuff. I lucked out being around good people, everyone was pretty evenly matched, and those that did slip out were quick to move. only slightly bummed that I was 4 minutes over 3 hours, shouldn't have stopped for those couple slices of watermelon at the last aid station! ha! but 3 was my goal, so I'm calling it a win for me. Great vibe, great course, seriously good job nimby fifty guys! really glad I finally did this event!

June 1, 2014, 7:48 a.m.

Don't forget the course is about 6-8mins longer than last year so you would have gone sub 3 if the course had stayed the same. Anything around 3 or under is not hanging around on that course. Nice one!

- Morgman

June 1, 2014, 8:19 a.m.

Was the shitz for me. Doing really well until my flat on overnight (damn clutch derailleur makes you go way to fast!!!) An other flat after the feed zone and walked for 40 minutes (did not want a DNF) Finally a mudbunny gave me a tube and a pump. Thanks for that, that save me. Walking/running in cycling shoes is horrible! Still a fun day.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 1, 2014, 8:22 a.m.

my goal was to beat Flip. he got me by 3 seconds! nice work Flip, styling the jumps at the end and pulling hard on the road. I did not suffer as much as last year with way less riding under my belt this year, so I'll chalk it up as a victory.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

June 1, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

my goal was to beat Flip. he got me by 3 seconds! nice work Flip, styling the jumps at the end and pulling hard on the road. I did not suffer as much as last year with way less riding under my belt this year, so I'll chalk it up as a victory.

everytime I looked down a switchback on happy and nimby, you were there! hahah, when I heard you coming up on smell the glove, I thought for sure you were going to rip right by me, I was hurting! thanks for the motivation hahaha. downtime results look pretty fubar, it says I was 212th, I certainly didn't win, but there was no way I was that slow!

June 1, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

By contrast it says I was 30th and I rode like a spoon, blew two corners and waited for Davis to go by.

- Morgman

June 2, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

Had a great start to the race; paced myself really well up to Radio Tower and to the top of Let it Go. Smashed (or at least felt like I did) the Overnight down, and after some much needed water and bacon before Sphincter, rode the back 1/2 fairly well.

But, as they say, bad luck comes in 3's.

I got stung by a bee ater the steep slabs on Econodave, flatted my tubeless rear tire 150m later, swapped out for a tube (and nailed the change, felt like a F1 pit stop), got back on the bike, and pinched the tube just before Crosstown. Fuck. Started walking.

Walked all the way down Crosstown, past the awesome jumps and gaps :( Continued all the way down to the railway and someone awesomely offered me a tube and a pump! Thanks to buddies (completely forgot their names now). Did another fast changeover, and laid the hammer down on the gravel back to the farm. Still finished with a respectable 3:25, but was really hoping for ~3.

Guess there's always next year!

June 2, 2014, 6:57 p.m.

They are some sick and twisted minds over there at Nimby HQ….

I was feeling pretty good until i flatted in the single track before overnight. Fifty? Was eaten alive by the mosquitos there and then jumped on to head up to overnight only to cramp within 20 metres.
Battled the same cramp all the way through to No Err where i started to come back to life. No Err was my favourite trail too.

A lot harder than i had expected but a great first day on the pemberton trails

June 2, 2014, 8:29 p.m.

Don't forget the course is about 6-8mins longer than last year so you would have gone sub 3 if the course had stayed the same. Anything around 3 or under is not hanging around on that course. Nice one!

looking at the times for just the third leg on webscorer, the winner was 6 minutes longer than last year and the majority of people up to 3:00 hours were 7 to 10 minutes longer than last year
if last years Platinum time was 2:35 the results would be about the same as this year

June 5, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

They are some sick and twisted minds over there at Nimby HQ…

We shall take that as a compliment :-)

FWIW, we are considering a buffer on Platinum. No promises, but stay tuned. We're under no illusions.

Thanks for coming out to suffer gang!

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

June 5, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

We shall take that as a compliment :-)

FWIW, we are considering a buffer on Platinum. No promises, but stay tuned. We're under no illusions.

Thanks for coming out to suffer gang!

I'm definitely coming back for another round to break 3hrs…I was way back in the pack at the start and worked pretty hard to get close to the tail end of the fast pack on the road when we hit the gravel….really did need my extended warm up though so there was no way I was getting much closer to the front!