NIMBY Fifty 2014

May 9, 2014, 7:09 a.m.

yes and yes….overnight is a handful, but I'm loving the hardtail right now.

The easy routes on overnight will probably be the lines of choice during the race (unless you're feeling good). I don't think you can avoid that steep chute 2/3rds down the trail though. Good luck to all who are racing, should be fun.

Shed head!

May 9, 2014, 7:47 a.m.

The easy routes on overnight will probably be the lines of choice during the race (unless you're feeling good). I don't think you can avoid that steep chute 2/3rds down the trail though. Good luck to all who are racing, should be fun.

easy routes? screw that! I'm all over the chute surfin'!

May 9, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

The Nimby will be my first XC race in a LONG time. Any one have any suggestions / favorite nutrition tips. I am more of a sandwich and banana guy for this type of ride but seeing this is a race I thought I should look for a liquid diet…

May 9, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

I'm all over the chute surfin'!

the chutes on overnight were made for the chromag samurai, or vise versa. i rode them blind the year i did the nimby, and while i'm sure it was largely an adrenaline thing and the rush of yelling "coming through" at the real xc racers walking down the trail, it still ranks as one of my most fun times on a bike

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 9, 2014, 10:10 a.m.

The Nimby will be my first XC race in a LONG time. Any one have any suggestions / favorite nutrition tips. I am more of a sandwich and banana guy for this type of ride but seeing this is a race I thought I should look for a liquid diet…

Gu pack things and eat them much earlier than you think. Before you get to Let It Go again at the top before Fifty.

Lots of people cramp up at the climb to Sphincter Rock/Scruffy's Bypass, last year I cramped bad just off Linda Road.

Get the nutrition in earlier than you think. Personally I think that is my XC downfall, back in the day the XC racing I did was too short to worry about it, my regular riding these days is ride then stop somewhere and eat a sandwich.

May 9, 2014, 10:13 a.m.

Gu pack things and eat them much earlier than you think. Before you get to Let It Go again at the top before Fifty.

Lots of people cramp up at the climb to Sphincter Rock/Scruffy's Bypass, last year I cramped bad just off Linda Road.

Get the nutrition in earlier than you think. Personally I think that is my XC downfall, back in the day the XC racing I did was too short to worry about it, my regular riding these days is ride then stop somewhere and eat a sandwich.

yup….and as much as I like water, I usually go for electrolyte powder in the water bottle

May 9, 2014, 11:34 a.m.

Just pre-ride the course and put this in a spot where you think you might want to start your liquid diet.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 9, 2014, 12:08 p.m.

yup….and as much as I like water, I usually go for electrolyte powder in the water bottle

Probably the most important part of the race - staying hydrated and fed.

This is the only race, that I wear a camelback. Probably, the reason I do not cramp up in spasm hell through mosquito lake death zone.

There is no opportunity (for me) to grab any water from a water bottle until the road climb up to Overnight Sensation. By then, I am F@#ked. Yes I look like a dork-nerd with that Sporto-uncool low weight camelback.

Function before fashion - damn - so un-cool.

May 9, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

no doubt! i railed those blind my first year on the explosif - sketch but fun.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 9, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

Hey Flip, you been riding Pemby on your Chromag? Would you race the Nimby on a hardtail?

I've raced it the last 2 years on my hardtail. First year was on the Honzo 1x10 (32x36t) which caused me to cramp at the top of Let it Go.

Last year I did it on my Giant XTC alu HT, running 2x10, which caused me to cramp at the top of Overnight, just before dropping in.

This year I'm racing it on my Rootdown 1x10, 30/40t, and hopefully I won't cramp until the end…but I'm guessing I'll cramp 1/2 way down Overnight :agree:

May 9, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

I've done it every year since the beginning on my trusty hardtail (I'll admit the first year was hell for me). This year, for the first time I'm using an upy/downy seatpost, Overnight should be rad! Really hoping to ride it in 3:15 but not to sure if it'll happen, I'm scared of the new sections…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 9, 2014, 2:13 p.m.

Haha awesome just checking your commitment. I've had some interesting "surfs" down those chutes over the years.

Shed head!

May 9, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

Really hoping to ride it in 3:15 but not to sure if it'll happen, I'm scared of the new sections…

Yeah, I've had quicker times each year, and this one I'm hoping for another sub 3, but with the new sections, we'll see!

May 9, 2014, 5:02 p.m.

Looking at that course I would take probably 5 hrs haha. If I have the day off I may see if I can volley, maybe race it one year

May 9, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

Yeah, I've had quicker times each year, and this one I'm hoping for another sub 3, but with the new sections, we'll see!

how much time do you think the new sections will add?