NIMBY Fifty 2013

May 26, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

The Nimby climb was bloody slippery, I felt like I was climbing like a beginner (I think I had to much air in my tires). Overnight was pretty good, beat me up a bit, I was pretty tired at the end of it. Second half was brutal, so tired I couldn't climb anymore, kinda of sucks because when I did my pre ride a week ago I clean the whole thing. Fun day, Bret's the man, so much energy he's contagious!!! In the end I came 13 seconds from my goal of being bellow 3:30, maybe next year… got way to drunk, those gin and tonic where so good had to buy a bottle of Pemby gin! See ya next year!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 26, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

Ok, results are posted on the site: 2013 NIMBY Fifty Results

There are a few glitches to be worked out in the results, so they are not yet "official". Also, not all the DNF's are actual DNFs they actually include DNS's as well right now.

Thanks to everyone, especially the vollies and racers who soldiered on through immense pain, injury, mechanical and mental breakdowns (haha) to make this yet another epic NIMBY fifty. We love you all.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

May 26, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

so despite the longer training rides and laying off the heavy leg workouts the cramps were just as bad if not slightly worse this year. i actually thought about pulling the plug at the end of the gravel road by mosquito lake.

yest today i still have the juice to do a shortened leg workout at the gym. go figure.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 26, 2013, 3:53 p.m.

I achieved both of my goals, which were to be top 25% and under 3 hours. 2:48 and change, finished strong. Awesome day, great people racing and volunteering. Perfect weather, perfect dirt, and a sweet drive home too.

Came out of Overnight with Seb and Adrian B, and we all cramped up immediately. I think a lot of people shared your experience on the way to Mosquito Lake, Mark.

flickr

May 26, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

Came out of Overnight with Seb and Adrian B, and we all cramped up immediately. I think a lot of people shared your experience on the way to Mosquito Lake, Mark.

I started cramping at the top of overnight, feel bad cause I was cramping so bad I could not get out of seb's way when he came in hot and crashed passing me! the re group on the road was painfull. after we got going again I tried to hang with seb for as long as I could, but flatted on sphincter rock, stick through the side wall. got passed by every one. next year I am pre stashing beer.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

May 26, 2013, 9:02 p.m.

I achieved both of my goals, which were to be top 25% and under 3 hours. 2:48 and change, finished strong. Awesome day, great people racing and volunteering. Perfect weather, perfect dirt, and a sweet drive home too.

Solid time Morgan! That is pretty dang quick.

May 26, 2013, 9:26 p.m.

I started cramping at the top of overnight, feel bad cause I was cramping so bad I could not get out of seb's way when he came in hot and crashed passing me! the re group on the road was painfull. after we got going again I tried to hang with seb for as long as I could, but flatted on sphincter rock, stick through the side wall. got passed by every one. next year I am pre stashing beer.

Actually, now that you mention it, the twinge started on the final pitch to Overnight and I was able to stave it off… didn't know you sent Seb into the weeds!

flickr

May 27, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

I had an awesome time on Saturday, I pushed hard on the Overnight run trying to get a good downhill time, which I think is what left me cramping pretty bad around the Sphincter rock area.

Big thank you to all the volunteers and hecklers, nothing like coming into a particularly nasty climb and having people cheering/heckling you on, got me through a couple hard sections.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 27, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

It's my favourite bike race every year in BC and again did not disappoint. Thanks to everyone for another great race this year.

May 27, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

3rd year racing the Nimby and best one yet! First two times racing the Nimby, I finish just smashed by the end. At times wondering why do I do this. I love the race but it hurts. I would go out hard and always told myself I'll deal with things when and if I seize up, which always happened on the second half at the open road feed zone or starting up Sphincter.

This year, different game plan. Swallowed the ego and allowed guys to ride away on the opening climb. Instead of getting caught up in the mad rush to Radio Tower for the opening decent and the positioning for the hour in change of climbing that awaited on Happy Trail/Big Nimby, I took it easy. I didn't worry too much about rushing to pass the guy in front of me in the switchbacks. I kept telling myself, patience was going to pay off. I knew in order to have a good race I needed to avoid cramping or walking up the punch climbs in the second half.

Man did that strategy pay off! I wasn't cooked for the Red Bull Downtime (45th place) and I never seized up once during the second half up Sphincter/Meat Grinder/No Err. I managed to actually climb almost all of the steep punchy bits, only having to tripod two or three pitches as I crested them.

I told myself I would be happy finishing up around 3hr 15mins, while I secretly I was hoping for closer to the 3hr mark. But crossing the finish line at 2hrs 54 mins blew me away! I was stoked. 30 mins faster than last years time.

The Nimby by far is the hardest yet most rewarding race I have ever done. It punishes you yet puts a smile on your face. There's so much single track. The climbs are real XC climbs, the descents are DH descents and technical. There's minimal road sections. The Nimby is truly a racers race. I love it!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

May 27, 2013, 11:23 a.m.

My right calf is still a ball of cramped pain.

Didn't put in the training and paid dearly for it at the top of NIMBY and the back 1/2.

Only consolation is a much faster DH time than last year.

I'll be back next year, unfinished business with the course.

May 27, 2013, 11:27 a.m.

Mine was a similar story, although I'd have liked to have gotten a bit further ahead on the road climb before radio tower. However, my goal was 3 hrs and on the way up I figured maybed 3:05 was more realistic as I did it in 3:46 last year (had just started riding xc after a couple years of strictly fromme being my xc).

Smashed it and got a 2:51. Could not have been happier and I look forward to more riding and getting faster for next year.

May 27, 2013, 11:34 a.m.

There's a lot of time to be made up on the back half of the course. It's interesting to have a look at the split times of people you finished near.

flickr

May 27, 2013, 11:39 a.m.

3rd year racing the Nimby and best one yet! First two times racing the Nimby, I finish just smashed by the end. At times wondering why do I do this. I love the race but it hurts. I would go out hard and always told myself I'll deal with things when and if I seize up, which always happened on the second half at the open road feed zone or starting up Sphincter.

This year, different game plan. Swallowed the ego and allowed guys to ride away on the opening climb. Instead of getting caught up in the mad rush to Radio Tower for the opening decent and the positioning for the hour in change of climbing that awaited on Happy Trail/Big Nimby, I took it easy. I didn't worry too much about rushing to pass the guy in front of me in the switchbacks. I kept telling myself, patience was going to pay off. I knew in order to have a good race I needed to avoid cramping or walking up the punch climbs in the second half.

Man did that strategy pay off! I wasn't cooked for the Red Bull Downtime (45th place) and I never seized up once during the second half up Sphincter/Meat Grinder/No Err. I managed to actually climb almost all of the steep punchy bits, only having to tripod two or three pitches as I crested them.

I told myself I would be happy finishing up around 3hr 15mins, while I secretly I was hoping for closer to the 3hr mark. But crossing the finish line at 2hrs 54 mins blew me away! I was stoked. 30 mins faster than last years time.

The Nimby by far is the hardest yet most rewarding race I have ever done. It punishes you yet puts a smile on your face. There's so much single track. The climbs are real XC climbs, the descents are DH descents and technical. There's minimal road sections. The Nimby is truly a racers race. I love it!

wow 1/2 hour off your time! That's a hell of a accomplishment. I really hope I can do 3:15 next year.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 27, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

There's a lot of time to be made up on the back half of the course. It's interesting to have a look at the split times of people you finished near.

Yes. I need to figure this out, dietary wise, for next year. I'm not here to fool anyone…and perpetually a 4 hour rider out there. That being said, my training this year was much better, and the guys I train with all said as much. I’m never going to be a fast XC guy- I’d somehow have to have a body transplant to make that happen- but I can suffer very well, and would love to be in the 3:30 range, which I thought I was primed for this year. I am blaming two things:

1. Introducing a new powder mix for the race without trialing it in training first. Stupid. I know better than that.

2. Spending the previous full week in Toronto on business, keeping to a strict red wine / vodka / steak diet. Not advisable.

Both hurt me, as I went 6 minutes slower than in 2012.

Next year I’d love to enter Mosquito lake with strength in my legs and fuel in the tank- no matter what I do to make that happen. Literally got to the entrance of the loops, got off my bike due to cramping, and resolved to stay upright as long as possible, knowing if I could get myself to the last descent, it’s just a matter of focus to get off the mountain with reasonable speed in one piece without crashing then deal with the tortuous last bit of road. I also remember saying to myself, “Now, when you get off the bike at the end, be careful, and try not to fall down”. That didn’t help, either. Every effing muscle in my body, except MAYBE my tongue, seized up, and Tipps had a good laugh at my expense as some of the volunteers pulled my bike away from me so that I could curl up in a fetal position.

I’d like to avoid the “let’s just not DNF” plan next year.

Anyhow, stating it here now: 3:30 in 2014.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.