NIMBY Fifty 2013

May 18, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

Also, I must note that Let It Go was a kick in the nuts after such a pleasant meander up Nimby. I do not remember that being so steep when I raced in 2011, but then I raced it completely blind, no pre-ride, so I was probably not even aware of what was going on at that point… just keeping moving. The feed station at the paraglide launch was much appreciated.

flickr

May 18, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

Rode it as well, new sections are really nice. Finally can clean the climb, thanks for the new reroute it helps a lot! :clap:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 19, 2013, 8:25 p.m.

@SixZeroSixOne I went up to Overnight yesterday and banged in a bunch of nails on those planks as well as stuffed rocks underneath to add some support. Also placed a few rocks in the big puddle beside the planks, so for those choosing to go round them it should make an easier transition. The following image was taken about halfway through the work described above (sorry, forgot to take a final form photo).

I also walked a little further down and placed a few rocks in one of the holes on the one gnarly root section a couple switch backs below the planks to make rolling through a little bit less scary on an XC rig.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

May 20, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

Lo Rider…that work is much appreciated! Thanks

May 20, 2013, 6:11 p.m.

Can we talk tires?

Looks like rain on and off all week… is this course likely to have some muck/mud?

I have choice of:
Rocket Ron - currently on the front, used for Sunshine Coaster/Ore Crusher and enjoy.
Racing Ralph - haven't used yet, was my alternative rear tire in my mind.

Hans Dampf - Heavy but can handle anything

Maxxis Icon - worst mud tire in history, but great for fast

Maxxis Beaver - dedicated mud tire, was thinking of a rear if the conditions are muddy.

So…. I'm thinking keeping the Ron on the front and putting the Beaver on the back…

Good?

May 20, 2013, 9:05 p.m.

If it rains the course will be sweet and you'll be able to run almost anything, unless you want to smash the descents.

I'd run something good up front no matter what. Too much fun not to.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 23, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

What's the feed zone like at the top of Nimby? Will any volunteers be handing out bottles? Or is it better to try and bring someone for personal support at the second feed

May 23, 2013, 10:04 a.m.

Just ask a volly at sign on where you can put a couple bottles to be sent to the top of the Nimby, either in the back of the truck or last year I think they had a box for them. At the feed zone they have a separate table for your bottles.

The feed is well stocked, I always take a minute there to load up.

May 23, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

Not if you're at the tail of the field! Last year, many of the front runners (allegedly) filled camelbaks from limited supplies of water meaning none was left for me or the other riders near the rear of the field. I was told more water will be available at the paraglider launch this year but Matts advice is good. I think Ill try and get a water bottle sent up in advance

May 23, 2013, 10:24 p.m.

Just ask a volly at sign on where you can put a couple bottles to be sent to the top of the Nimby, either in the back of the truck or last year I think they had a box for them. At the feed zone they have a separate table for your bottles.

^^This… is correct.

There will be an 'official' truck heading up to the Paraglide Launch at 10:00 with all of the supplies, so have your bottle with them before that time, mark it well, and pick it up at the top. There will be a sign on this truck to make it easy to find at the Farm.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

May 23, 2013, 11:51 p.m.

Quick refresher…. How long is the drive from NVan to Pemberton? It might have already been said but I, too lazy to too reread this thread to gong the answer.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

May 24, 2013, 1:11 a.m.

Quick refresher…. How long is the drive from NVan to Pemberton? It might have already been said but I, too lazy to too reread this thread to gong the answer.

It's about half an hour past Whistler, ~155 km total, so 2-2.5 hours depending.

flickr

May 24, 2013, 1:18 a.m.

Great thanks. Budgeting 3:45 from Abbotsford then.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

May 24, 2013, 7:05 a.m.

Can we talk tires?

Looks like rain on and off all week… is this course likely to have some muck/mud?

I have choice of:
Rocket Ron - currently on the front, used for Sunshine Coaster/Ore Crusher and enjoy.
Racing Ralph - haven't used yet, was my alternative rear tire in my mind.

Hans Dampf - Heavy but can handle anything

Maxxis Icon - worst mud tire in history, but great for fast

Maxxis Beaver - dedicated mud tire, was thinking of a rear if the conditions are muddy.

So…. I'm thinking keeping the Ron on the front and putting the Beaver on the back…

Good?

I think the beaver is a bad call, you are going to have to run a lot of air pressure to not flat tire.

Pemby doesn't really get muddy or greasy in the rain, if anything the grip gets better. I would stick with your original tires. An Icon or Racing Ralf would be the way to go for a rear tire.

I road it way back in 2010 in the pouring rain with CrossMarks and they worked great.

May 24, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

Chromag is sponsoring a hardtail only category for Red Bull Downtime ($250 prize plus immense bragging rights)

SWEET! Now should I run my Minions or Racing Ralph???:S

http://www.epiccyclist.com/