NIMBY Fifty 2013

May 16, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

I think the main problem is that they aren't stable and where they join sometimes shifts….

edit….or at least weren't the last time I rode them a year ago! hahaha

I rode them the weekend before last with a bunch of ladies in our TaG/NIMBY training camp - some novice riders were able to make it over just fine and I did not notice any more wobble than usual. That being said, I'm planning to ride the whole course on Sunday so I will check it out. Yes, we organizers ensure that we do our part to endure the suffering our course dishes out every year before race day - it's only fair!

Todd, you gonna make the trip down from Nelson?

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

May 16, 2013, 10:38 a.m.

Todd, you gonna make the trip down from Nelson?

don't think so, was thinking about this weekend but car/bike repairs are draining me…..and might cruise down to Hood River that weekend since it's 'close' from here!

May 16, 2013, 12:15 p.m.

I think the main problem is that they aren't stable and where they join sometimes shifts….

edit….or at least weren't the last time I rode them a year ago! hahaha

Yeah, they shifted when my buddy rode over them and he crashed. We moved them back into position and I rode over them ok.
I raised this as in a race situation you can not predict whether the rider closely in front of you is going to shift the planks and anyone who hasn't pre ridden the course won't see them til the last second…

May 16, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

don't think so, was thinking about this weekend but car/bike repairs are draining me…..and might cruise down to Hood River that weekend since it's 'close' from here!

Funny you mention Hoods River…I just got an email about trail work in Post Canyon this Saturday… trails should be sweet :)

May 16, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

Anyone planning to stick around after the race and ride on Sunday? I figure if I'm going to bail on the family to suffer/race the Nimby, i should probably make a weekend out of it. I know the valley and pemberton trails okay but not so well I want to spend a day riding solo.

Yeah I may do this, i was thinking of A) driving back to Vancouver after the race or B) staying up for Saturday night…. if I stay up Saturday night then why not get a few hours in Sunday morning.

I have a trailer though, so I have to find camping a bit farther away from the course.

May 16, 2013, 5:38 p.m.

Do it! I had a hard time choosing between Hood River and the Nimby. That race is killer fun.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 16, 2013, 7:13 p.m.

Do it! I had a hard time choosing between Hood River and the Nimby. That race is killer fun.

not going to race if I go, just ride lots and maybe cheer on some friends and take some photos….been once in passing and it wasn't nearly enough!

May 16, 2013, 7:55 p.m.

not going to race if I go, just ride lots and maybe cheer on some friends and take some photos….been once in passing and it wasn't nearly enough!

Fair enough but it's a damn chilled race and all the trails are so sweet.

Have a good one.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 16, 2013, 10:45 p.m.

Going to pre-ride the course Friday morning at a spirited pace if anyone is interested in joining. Leaving North Van at 8am.

flickr

May 18, 2013, 11:35 a.m.

Rode Overnight yesterday and found the planks not to be a problem at all. Did not realize you guys put them back into place though. If they had shifted (and are therefore that unstable) this could pose a problem. We'll get up there this week and fixer up. There's also a few spots on Overnight where the little drops over root systems have become overly eroded and sketchy on an xc setup, so we'll need to get in there and fill those up too.

@morgman - how was the sprinted pre-ride?

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

May 18, 2013, 1:05 p.m.

Weather was great and the course is in great shape and well-signed (entrance to Overnight had no sign that I could see). As my XC bike's suspension was in for service for pickup Friday afternoon, I chose a terrible bike for the task (descending-biased 140/160) and paid the price.

By Mosquito Lake the only thing keeping me moving was the swarms of mosquitoes. My riding partner kept things positive and I was happy to get a refresher on the whole course. Very much looking forward to riding a bike next week that fits properly and isn't a tank.

flickr

May 18, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

if you left nvan at 8am seems like you still had a decent time/pace if you're posting this now!

sub 2hrs on the pinner bike?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 18, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

That was yesterday haha.

flickr

May 18, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

That was yesterday haha.

lol

i'm doing the quick math and going holy fuck! morgie's burning the course in about 3hrs on an unfriendly bike - somebody's been training.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 18, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

Something doesn't add up there ;)

I completely blew up yesterday. Was pushing most of the Mosquito / No Err climbs, and not smashing the descents even though the bike should have.

Did some research and the bar on this bike is 35mm lower and 15mm closer than my XC bike. No wonder I had a bad time.

flickr