NIMBY Fifty 2013

Feb. 18, 2013, 3:01 p.m.

all registered… looking forward to the pain… erm I mean fun… again this year :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Feb. 18, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

I think this kind of agro behaviour among alpha males (and females) happens in most competitive environments, particularly when we are tired or pinned (or both). Top of Let it Go would certainly be one of those occasions where people are pushing themselves. We've all seen this in xc races. If I let this be a reason not be a race, I would not be doing any xc mtb races at all. So I just generally try to chill out a bit and let the agros be agro, because eventually they will just fade and I'll pass them anyway ;-) Or never see them again cause I can't catch them anyhow, in which case it does not matter anyway.

As a race organizer though, this type of thing is concerning and we do appreciate people reporting this sort of stuff so we can hopefully set the record straight for people that are getting a little too serious and affecting the experience of other riders.

@nortonwhist - Hope you'll reconsider your decision whether or not to race this year.

Good response, pushing me closer to signing up.

Feb. 19, 2013, 3:35 a.m.

Camping is on! Friday [HTML_REMOVED] Saturday night. All these details and others are in the latest newsletter/blog, and entry fee is published on the registration page.

I'm registered! And the wife and kid are stoked about the camping and making it a family event. Is it tenting only or can one bring a small 16ft travel trailer? Can we pre pay/reserve a space in the field? Blog doesn't specify too much right now.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Feb. 20, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

I'm registered! And the wife and kid are stoked about the camping and making it a family event. Is it tenting only or can one bring a small 16ft travel trailer? Can we pre pay/reserve a space in the field? Blog doesn't specify too much right now.

Hey Matt, thanks for sharing your plans. This helps us sort out the best camping situation for all. The reasons details are sparse at the moment is because all of the details on camping have yet to be finalized. At this time, yes camper vans/trailers will be permitted :-)

Camping will be on a first come first serve basis at North Arm Farm. No pre-reg.

Will post here as soon as all the details on camping are finalized.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

March 4, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

Will dogs be allowed on the campground?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 4, 2013, 11:05 a.m.

Sorry, no dogs are allowed at North Arm Farm at all. The farm's owner is very protective of his animals and crops so he's got a strict policy against dogs.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

March 4, 2013, 3:19 p.m.

Signed up, is this a 6/6 race or a hardtail 29er race?

March 4, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

both will do just fine but if you want a fast time I'd go 29 hardtail

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

March 4, 2013, 4:27 p.m.

Got it, so the descents aren't super nasty?

March 4, 2013, 6:27 p.m.

Pre-ride then decide.

I could tell you the descents are easy, then you go ride and come home with soiled shorts.

It's classic Pemby, some steep loose stuff, some rock faces and lots of grins.

March 4, 2013, 7:15 p.m.

Kindree won it on a hardtail 2 years ago, no dropper post. Of course, he's not normal, and enjoyment is substantially lower on this priority list than for most of us mortals. Unlike most of the other races in the Sea to Sky (eg Test of Metal, Gearjammer), I think the Nimby does fit a full suspension. The Nimby climb (and the Happy climb) is quite punishing, and although a hardtail might ultimately be faster, the roots and bumps tax the body mightily, and a lot of people fall apart in the Mosquito Lake trails (second half) because their body just gives out after working so hard in the first half. I remember passing one of the Daryl-Evans team riders, and hearing him curse, "I never thought a hardtail would be a disadvantage on a climb." I'm usually neck and neck with the guy in other races, but in the Nimby I crushed him.

There is also the RedBull downtime on Overnight Sensation (timed enduro section). Definitely better on a fully for that part if you want a good placement, or at least a more gravity oriented hardtail (eg Cromag). The pinner racer hardtails get worked over on that descent, and it is lengthy (6-8 minutes of descending). I boiled my brakes on it last year, only descent that's ever done that to me. Technically, it is far far far more technical than the Test of Metal, and I would say substantially harder than the JABR and the new Gearjammer course. The race organizers try to emphasize the tech nature of it, but have to stop short of discouraging people, they still want to sell entries.

March 4, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2732034]There is also the RedBull downtime on Overnight Sensation (timed enduro section). Definitely better on a fully for that part if you want a good placement, or at least a more gravity oriented hardtail (eg Cromag). The pinner racer hardtails get worked over on that descent, and it is lengthy (6-8 minutes of descending). I boiled my brakes on it last year, only descent that's ever done that to me. Technically, it is far far far more technical than the Test of Metal, and I would say substantially harder than the JABR and the new Gearjammer course. The race organizers try to emphasize the tech nature of it, but have to stop short of discouraging people, they still want to sell entries.

ya think ya could have posted this BEFORE i signed up?!
yes, i'll be on a ht. my goal will be to finish - that's all it ever was anyways.

March 4, 2013, 8:43 p.m.

You'll be fine LG, and you'll be glad you did it. The Nimby course is so rad you'll forget about the time. Plus, the Sturdy farm is a truly unique place for a race, and you get to be serenaded by Tippie and stuffed full of good food by the Pony.

Wait, what's that? I just read on the internet that Tippie has been replaced by a screaming goat. Well at least we still have the Pony :)

March 4, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

much much easier on my tallboy (that i foolishly sold) than my 29er hardtail. the course beats you down, up and down.

March 4, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

Ok great, 6/6 it is. Danke! Will be good to meet a few of you folks up there.