NIMBY Fifty 2013

Feb. 12, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

Camping is on! Friday [HTML_REMOVED] Saturday night. All these details and others are in the latest newsletter/blog, and entry fee is published on the registration page.

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

Feb. 12, 2013, 10:17 a.m.

Early Bird deadline: April 20th at 4:20pm

Nice.

Feb. 12, 2013, 10:20 a.m.

Reg opens: Feb 15, 2013
Early bird deadline: April 20, 2013
Race day: May 25, 2013

NIMBY Fifty - A _Technical Marathon XC Race _in Pemberton, BC. Details & Registration at www.nimbyfifty.com

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride." - G.D.

Feb. 15, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

5 minutes!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 15, 2013, 4:33 p.m.

reg done.

now time to train.

Feb. 15, 2013, 4:36 p.m.

reg done.

now time to train.

+1

Hopefully the kick up the ass I need to motivate myself…

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:02 p.m.

reg done.

now time to train.

done and done. let's go for a ride sometime.

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:10 p.m.

Ks this a "fun" race or a supercompetitive thing that hacks like me just out to challenge themselves should avoid? Haven't done a big race since the Cheakamus probably 10 years ago… And the north shore bike fest "xc" 2 years ago. It looks super fun.

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

It's what you make it.

The hammers are out front flying up the climbs, then everyone else is moving at their own pace.

Just don't way over estimate yourself and get too far ahead of your pace on the NIMBY climb. If you way ahead of your pace then clog up the NIMBY you might peeve off a few people. Just be honest with your pace and you should end up riding with people moving at the same speed and nobody gets peeved.

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:37 p.m.

SLow-ass me overtook a few people on the climb - usually coz they lost their balance on a hairpin. The combined effort of getting past and the added pressure to not hold them up probably contributed to the massive cramping from the top of that climb to the finish. At least I finished…but that is all I can say for myself. Time to sign up again.

Cheers Ben

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:37 p.m.

regi'd

hopefully no cramping this year. i've put the heavy squats/deadlifts on the backburner for the next few months to see if it makes a difference.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 15, 2013, 6:09 p.m.

regi'd

hopefully no cramping this year. i've put the heavy squats/deadlifts on the backburner for the next few months to see if it makes a difference.

I still do those every day. I call it "getting off the dunny".

Cheers Ben

Feb. 16, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

i heard there were some near altercations at the top of let it go. that was from some pinner friends who would have been reasonably far forward.

Its definitely one of the reasons i havent signed up.

Feb. 16, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

never been my experience. Always have a blast, people super cool. I'm a mid pack rider tho. Hopping 3:15 this year.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 18, 2013, 1:13 p.m.

i heard there were some near altercations at the top of let it go. that was from some pinner friends who would have been reasonably far forward.

Its definitely one of the reasons i havent signed up.

I think this kind of agro behaviour among alpha males (and females) happens in most competitive environments, particularly when we are tired or pinned (or both). Top of Let it Go would certainly be one of those occasions where people are pushing themselves. We've all seen this in xc races. If I let this be a reason not be a race, I would not be doing any xc mtb races at all. So I just generally try to chill out a bit and let the agros be agro, because eventually they will just fade and I'll pass them anyway ;-) Or never see them again cause I can't catch them anyhow, in which case it does not matter anyway.

As a race organizer though, this type of thing is concerning and we do appreciate people reporting this sort of stuff so we can hopefully set the record straight for people that are getting a little too serious and affecting the experience of other riders.

@nortonwhist - Hope you'll reconsider your decision whether or not to race this year.