Nationals - Masif du Sud

July 20, 2009, 2:45 p.m.

Naaww… Team BC is gunna clean like last year and talke top 6 in the U17 men category!

1 Luke Stevens (AB) 3:11.720
2 Max Horner (BC) 3:22.048
3 Nicholas Geddes (BC) 3:23.524
4 Guillaume Labrie (QB) 3:25.425
5 Cody Ratte (AB) 3:25.597

July 22, 2009, 9:13 a.m.

1 Luke Stevens (AB) 3:11.720
2 Max Horner (BC) 3:22.048
3 Nicholas Geddes (BC) 3:23.524
4 Guillaume Labrie (QB) 3:25.425
5 Cody Ratte (AB) 3:25.597

We didnt do to bad this year! I'll take a second to Luke anyday… I guess he sort of is untouchable in our category though!

July 22, 2009, 12:27 p.m.

I've got a question for the experts:

How come the Canadian coverage is so little? I looked at the English and American nationals, both recieved way more pictures and coverage of other sorts. Here in Canada there doesn't seem to be much info, or media.

Second to that is the question where are the top tier guys, at the English you have Peaty, the Athertons, etc., the Americans had Gwinn, Riffle PALMER!!!!!, and others.

Canada didn't have any of its top racers present in the men's, (but props to the the Women). Any reason behind this?

And finally why are these in the east? Or more specifically has there been a Canadain nationals in Western Canada? (I have only been following the race seen for the last two years(on the the national front))

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Is this a footnote?

July 22, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

Lot's of top guys at Nationals, just no Steve Smith. Obviously filming instead. He's a WC contender, so makes sense to take a wee bit of a break.

Nationals has been in the East the past 2 seasons, prior to that Mt. Washington in 07 and Whistler in 06.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the rumor mill is that Panorama is getting the Nationals event for 2010.

Media coverage. Good question. Probably cause it was so fricken rainy, Masif had not the best internet access, nor cell service.

July 22, 2009, 2:34 p.m.

yes 2010 nationals are at panorama!!

July 22, 2009, 4:30 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys.

Is this a footnote?

July 22, 2009, 4:40 p.m.

Let's just say that any other province other than QC has to pay big sanctioning fees (amongst other things) that organizers in QC get subsidized for. Their provincial government puts out a lot of money for race organizers to put on big events like this. There is no reason why an organizer out west would choose to put on a Canada Cup/Nationals over a BC Cup, especially since the numbers are about the same.

That's why you rarely see high caliber races out west anymore. We just can't compete.

July 22, 2009, 4:47 p.m.

Ahh should have known, (I am a Political Science Major), when it boils down, its all about the dollars.
Thanks for answers my question with a ton of info, definitely clears up sever questions I've had in the last few years.

Is this a footnote?

July 23, 2009, 8:18 a.m.

Let's just say that any other province other than QC has to pay big sanctioning fees (amongst other things) that organizers in QC get subsidized for. Their provincial government puts out a lot of money for race organizers to put on big events like this. There is no reason why an organizer out west would choose to put on a Canada Cup/Nationals over a BC Cup, especially since the numbers are about the same.

That's why you rarely see high caliber races out west anymore. We just can't compete.

Thanks for clarifying that Wayne, I always wondered why.

July 27, 2009, 10:56 a.m.

I've got a question for the experts:

How come the Canadian coverage is so little? I looked at the English and American nationals, both recieved way more pictures and coverage of other sorts. Here in Canada there doesn't seem to be much info, or media.

Second to that is the question where are the top tier guys, at the English you have Peaty, the Athertons, etc., the Americans had Gwinn, Riffle PALMER!!!!!, and others.

Canada didn't have any of its top racers present in the men's, (but props to the the Women). Any reason behind this?

And finally why are these in the east? Or more specifically has there been a Canadain nationals in Western Canada? (I have only been following the race seen for the last two years(on the the national front))

Any info is greatly appreciated.

1. Good question. Pinkbike did an article about their riders.

2. The top men were there except Steve. The CCA did not agree to put the national stripes on his jersey he is paid to wear (TLD) if he was national champion. Instead if he was national champion he is obliged to wear the canadian national jersey in all quali and race runs. Therefore why would TLD be paying him X amount of dollars to wear another jersey.

3. Nationals are 2 years in the east and then 2 years in the west.

July 27, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

3. Nationals are 2 years in the east and then 2 years in the west.

….as long as there's someone willing to take it on.

Other than us and Pano, who else is going to do it? Can't blame anybody for not wanting to.

July 28, 2009, 12:27 p.m.

1. Good question. Pinkbike did an article about their riders.

2. The top men were there except Steve. The CCA did not agree to put the national stripes on his jersey he is paid to wear (TLD) if he was national champion. Instead if he was national champion he is obliged to wear the canadian national jersey in all quali and race runs. Therefore why would TLD be paying him X amount of dollars to wear another jersey.

1. Yeah, I'd rather it be about the entire race, than Pinkbike, not to take anything away from those guys but that is not the whole field of riders.

2. Wow, Canada drops the ball with another Canadian overblown content.
Yet looking at Gwinn last weekend he did the same thing with the Us Jersey and still raced, and simply took off the Jersey for the hotseat and podium.

Seems that rather than encourage success, this ruling hinders the potential for riders.

Or the Canadain race scene is simply not on par with other countries (I know I said it, but this about organization and does not reflect the quality of the riders, who I know work their asses off during both the off season and offical season).

Is this a footnote?