Let's talk cyclocross

Aug. 28, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

Fine I'll look into extra wheels.

Aug. 28, 2014, 12:35 p.m.

Fenders will get clogged with mud and rattle and be annoying. Plus if a stick or something goes into your spokes the fender will get sucked up. And if I am not mistaken, against the rules. Besides fenders are for tourist and that old dude with the impressive beard, helmet mirror and pant clips.

Ditch the bottle cages too. There is no time to drink in cross. The races are far too intense and short to need water anyway. Drink lots of water before and beer after and your golden. cages also get in the way if you need to shoulder the bike.

I know a certain party did his first cross race with a rack and I think one fender. And fixed gear. That was gone in a race or two. The beard took longer.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 28, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

There is no time to drink in cross.

If you follow this rule, you aren't doing it right. And you make the handup people sad. :beer:

Aug. 29, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

If you follow this rule, you aren't doing it right. And you make the handup people sad. :beer:

Let me fix that. There's no time to drink water in cross. Other beverages handed up are different. In all seriousness though, there is no need for water during the race and often not any smooth enough bits that are long enough that you can risk a hand off the bar. Sometimes sure, but usually not.

Aug. 31, 2014, 9:35 p.m.

Now I'm on a traitor Ruben (steel) frame which is more like a commuter than a race bike. 99.9 percent of the time it is for hauling my kids in the chariot trailer so I have a MTB cassette on there with 46/36 up front.

I've just picked up a Transition Rapture (no racing planned) and I'm planning on running a bastardized MTB/CX drivetrain. Front will be Shimano 105 CX50 crankset 10 spd and Ultegra CX70 double 10 spd front mech with an Ultegra 12-30 rear cassette, XT M 781 rear derailleur and KMC 10 spd chain. You have any issues combining "road" and MTB parts?

Shed head!

Sept. 1, 2014, 8:33 a.m.

I've just picked up a Transition Rapture (no racing planned) and I'm planning on running a bastardized MTB/CX drivetrain. Front will be Shimano 105 CX50 crankset 10 spd and Ultegra CX70 double 10 spd front mech with an Ultegra 12-30 rear cassette, XT M 781 rear derailleur and KMC 10 spd chain. You have any issues combining "road" and MTB parts?

Pretty sure ten speed road and mountain derailleurs use different cable pull ratios. Are you using road shifters too? Or flat bar and mountain shifters? Several years ago I tried a mountain front derailleur with a road shifter and the throw was off too much to work. Might have been a triple though but that was a while ago.

Sept. 1, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

I am using a 105 road shifter with 9 speed XT derailleur and cassette. It works flawlessly. Bruce at Wentings cycle in Mission set it up for me.

Sept. 1, 2014, 12:41 p.m.

The throw ratios are different so it won't work if it's 10speed. You could use Sram shifters. I don't know how but it works. I wanted to run the same set up cause I wanted to use a clutch mountain deraileur and I talked to other people who had tried and it just didn't work out.

Sept. 1, 2014, 7:16 p.m.

After much research I sourced a Tiagra 10 spd flat bar shifter for the front and an XT MTB 10 spd shifter for the rear. Running a KMC 10 spd chain (MTB) which Google has told me would work well between the road front and MTB rear. Hopefully everything pans out.

Shed head!

Sept. 1, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

Fine I'll look into extra wheels.

Well if it helps have run a 700x34 c tire on WTB Speed Disc rims…

But then again I am a beer drinking non UCI Luddite so you mileage may vary.;)

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 3, 2014, 4:33 p.m.

http://theradavist.com/2014/09/brothers-cycles-search-kepler/

wow, riding a cross bike in the woods really does look like fun

if you like riding slowly, or your trails are boring as fuck

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 3, 2014, 9:09 p.m.

http://theradavist.com/2014/09/brothers-cycles-search-kepler/

wow, riding a cross bike in the woods really does look like fun

if you like riding slowly, or your trails are boring as fuck

Believe me…he did ride down that.

Spotted in the new Toronto Skills Park.

Need more Bog.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 4, 2014, 2:54 p.m.

This guy gets my vote for best pass in the Intermediate race at Fort Langley on Sunday. That was a tight corner, and I was blown away that he snuck through.

[o] Photo Credit: John Denniston

Sept. 4, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

http://bike.whistlerblackcomb.com/events/2014/09/whistler-cyclocross.aspx

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 4, 2014, 11:22 p.m.

This guy gets my vote for best pass in the Intermediate race at Fort Langley on Sunday. That was a tight corner, and I was blown away that he snuck through.

[o] Photo Credit: John Denniston

Photobomb pink shirt lady is classic.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk