Hope we all learned a lesson. . Arduum.

July 5, 2011, 9:30 p.m.

Racing is as popular now as it has ever been, We in BC are lucky to have a group of organizers, and volunteers across the province that provide us with a DH series that lasts all summer. We have all grown accustom to races filling up, and long waits for the shuttle line up. Usually followed by complaints about everything from lineups, to course taping, or even the track itself.

Well now we really have something to complain about. We just lost the best race of the BC cup circuit for good. This was the the last year of Arduum, and we all got lazy and let it slip away.

Too many racers getting complacent thinking they will wait till the last minute to register, or even expecting to register on site(no on site reg at this one). even a few people thinking " It's me I know Karla and Dan, Ill just show up and get a discount"

I am one of those racers, I had not registered yet, but was planning to this past monday.

These organizers are putting up big money to run these events, it costs alot of money and time to put one of these on, especially one as logistically challenging as this race.

When only 60 people have committed to racing one week before the event, the organizers have no choice but to cancel, and cut their losses.

Now lets all get our heads in the game, and start supporting the organizers and keeping the BC cup circuit alive. Because once organizers stop putting all their time and money into racing we are going to have alot more to complain about than long shuttle lines.

Im going to miss Arduum, I was there from the beginning, and Ill keep heading out there for the best DH riding in BC

July 5, 2011, 10:29 p.m.

there's a Shore Toonie race July 16, which came about because a lot of people asked for it. just sayin…

July 5, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

OK, then I'll ask for some amazing person to bring back Arduum in the future.

July 5, 2011, 11:10 p.m.

Well said.

I'm guilty in this case and really regret being part of that group that was in no rush to sign up early. Sorry Karla [HTML_REMOVED] Dan.

I would like to extend a big thank you to Greg [HTML_REMOVED] Denise, Karla [HTML_REMOVED] Dan and every single one of the volunteer's who helped make Red Mtn an exceptional stop every year it was held.

there's a Shore Toonie race July 16, which came about because a lot of people asked for it. just sayin…

That has nothing to do with the vast majority of Canadian DH racer's not pre-registering. Darryl is trying to make a point, which more of us should heed. Toonie races are sweet, but not even close to the issue in this case..

July 6, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

Thanks guys that is great to hear.

Event management is an odd balance of meeting the participants expectations and making sure that the bottom line is black. Early registration is key to that. If we had cut the buses/trucks to meet the low numbers, then the race filled up, it would have been a disaster. The complaints would have run neck deep.

We need more events, Karla and I would gladly show people the ropes on how it is done. To offer our advice and heck even learn a few new things. There are no new prospects for events or people that want to get involved. Which is kind of scary because then the burden falls on the same people.

After this year, I am going to be stepping away. As much as I would love to continue on, with going back to school, and wanting to more enjoy my free time, the time had come for me to move on. It has been a great run… I have had so much doing it, but work and school are calling. When you fall asleep in a meeting with clients (don't laugh it has happened) it is time to call it quits.

Karla will undoubtably continue and will need a few good people to help her onward.

Thanks to all that supported my events. Maybe one day when I have more free time I will start up a new one.

Thanks guys!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

July 6, 2011, 1:56 p.m.

Well said Darryl,

Many thanks to all Arduum event planners, builders, workers, volunteers, racers, spectators… (past and present)
and with that a thanks to everyone who puts on a race at all.

We are very lucky in BC to have the events we do and most importantly the access to the terrain.
It is sad with the supposed DH talent pool we have here we can not get out and race….

Having travelled to race you get a different perspective on racers and events.
South of the border they hold a race and everyone shows up, signs up and will gladly contribute to the event in many ways.
Why can we not attract the same following? (its not the promoters or planners fault).
We all seem to want to keep our options open….as it might rain or we might be busy that day…really???

The work of putting on a race is essentially for charity of the community. Our mountain bike community.
There is no profit in these events and in fact likely cost the promoters/planner some form money/time they never get back.

Many of us have a DH bike ($$$$$$$$$)
We have the gear and transport ($$$$$$)
We often have the time to ride ($$$)
But we cant sign up for a race a few weeks in advance? ($)
So why can we not commit to a race? Especially when you have planned to race for months?

I think many people do not know the details that go into these events…..

Dan perhaps you or someone like you could do a behind the scenes look at planning an event so that people may see all the effort you good people do?
Again more work for the promoter…. but I think a quick summary would serve to educate the "racer crowd" on what is required to hold an event.
that is If we want to keep DH mtb racing alive at all….

Cheers

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

July 6, 2011, 4:08 p.m.

I would like to thank all the organizers that put on the BC Cup series since I know it is a lot of work for very little reward.

Cycling BC (or CCN as I'm not sure who would control it)could reduce the last minute regestration issues by offering pre-registration for the whole series at the beginning of the season. I know I was stoked the last few years to get a discount to have to pre-reg for all the BC cups even if I knew I was going to miss one since you essentially recieved on race for free. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Dan and Karla for the fun event last year.

Dalen

TRIDENT PERFORMANCE SPORTS

Distributor of the following high performance products:
Alpinestars Cycling www.alpinestars.com, Banshee Bikes www.bansheebikes.com, Answer & Manitou Products www.manitoumtb.com, WTB www.wtb.com, Formula Disc Brakes www.formula-brake.it, Gamut Chain Guides www.gamutusa.com

Contact us at:
Phone: 604 929 4955
Email: [email protected]

July 6, 2011, 4:50 p.m.

Cycling BC (or CCN as I'm not sure who would control it)could reduce the last minute registration issues by offering pre-registration for the whole series at the beginning of the season.

That was the plan at the beginning of the season, but it fell through. total ball-drop if you ask me:

Me: CBC, what is the current bulk registrations at?
CBC: I'm not sure - you'll have to check with CCN.
Me: CCN, what are the bulk registrations at?

Turns out it was never set up. Some blame was laid at the feet of the organizers: We all had to commit to our registration fees early in the season, and I think some may not have gotten them in. (I got mine in at the last minute, but in time)

July 6, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

im not a DH racer - but i've been hearing some grumblings that Arduun was just gettin too big/gnar for the average joe-jill DHer….that might have something to do with it too …

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 6, 2011, 7:51 p.m.

The problem of low pre reg numbers isn't limited to arduum.

Stillgoing: what percentage of racers at bear signed up in the week before or at the race this year?

July 6, 2011, 7:57 p.m.

im not a DH racer - but i've been hearing some grumblings that Arduun was just gettin too big/gnar for the average joe-jill DHer….that might have something to do with it too …

I don't know about that, while there may have been some larger non-mandatory features put in the base trail has gotten way more buff and easier than it was in the beginning. The first couple of years were vicious.

July 6, 2011, 8:34 p.m.

I'm sure that has something to do with it. Your biggest numbers are generally beginners, and beginners are scared off by gnarly courses. Why do you think Race the Ranch had near record numbers 3 years in a row? Not because it was a challenging course, because it was easy for beginners.

July 6, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

Maybe scaring away beginners accounts for a small percentage but my feeling is that the majority of missing pre-reg numbers came from our collective complacency regarding registration. Although I did pre-register, it was only at the end of June and I knew in February that I was going to race GnR. I think a lot of people have the intention of registering but just don't get around to it until the threat of the deadline enters the forefront of their minds. As was said at the beginning of this thread, we need to change our attitude about pre-registering, realizing the work and risk that the organizers have put forth, and show this respect by registering earlier.

July 6, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

Cycling BC (or CCN as I'm not sure who would control it)could reduce the last minute regestration issues by offering pre-registration for the whole series at the beginning of the season. I know I was stoked the last few years to get a discount to have to pre-reg for all the BC cups even if I knew I was going to miss one since you essentially recieved on race for free. Just my 2 cents.

Dalen

Ball drop by Cycling BC… not CCN. Far too much politics to get into but I know that forsure.

www.steedcycles.com

July 6, 2011, 10:39 p.m.

I still love you Dan, and if I raced at all would've pre-registered…..in fact, this fiasco even has me thinking of signing up for Hemlock just to be on your good side.