Hope for Cycling BC?

Nov. 18, 2011, 1:48 p.m.

So, Cycling BC has launched a new mountain bike specific site. Am I being too hopeful that this may be an indication of a better CBC this year?

http://mountainbike.cyclingbc.net/

Nov. 18, 2011, 2:23 p.m.

Yes, too hopeful. Most of the disciplines have their own site … I don't think it means sh*t as a barometer for how the services will be delivered.

:canada: :england:

Nov. 23, 2011, 8:34 a.m.

Yes, too hopeful. Most of the disciplines have their own site … I don't think it means sh*t as a barometer for how the services will be delivered.

Yes. The new initiative provides opportunities in all six cycling disciplines.

Defeat Easy, Win Hard

Nov. 23, 2011, 10:35 a.m.

I have gotten great co-operation from cyclingbc for the myriads of problems which always seem to come up with indoor.
U.S. riders ,licensing issues.
The BMX guy Adam Muys is as dedicated as Tanya was (Tanya we miss you) and when I have phoned or e-mail questions the response timely.
I actually went for the first time to the AGM,I came away with the fact they know they need to do better ,and are committed to change.
gary

FVMBA Website

Nov. 24, 2011, 6:19 a.m.

You sure are. Still no results posted from this past season from what I can see. What the hells with that?

Nov. 24, 2011, 8:58 a.m.

Well, I guess I'm just an optimist. I'm still holding out hope now that I know that a DH racer has started working for Cycling BC.

The sad thing is that I know a several people who have been steady DH racers that are leaving the BC Cup scene. I know this past season has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Nov. 24, 2011, 9 a.m.

You sure are. Still no results posted from this past season from what I can see. What the hells with that?

it's there,just click on results, not past results.

http://mountainbike.cyclingbc.net/results/

Nov. 24, 2011, 9:03 a.m.

Also, I've sent a few emails to CBC over the past few days, and the responses have been super quick. I was rather impressed.

Nov. 24, 2011, 11:59 a.m.

DH? XC? They're all up to date and have been since the end of the October. CX is updated as the season progresses and there was no Road or Track series this year as no event organizers were interested. What results are you looking for?

By calling CBC I was able to find out a few of the steps their taking…..
They just purchased two pieces of timing equipment including a timing board similar to what they use for Crankworx as timing was a gong show this year (Panorama anyone?!) - all CBC sanctioned events will have to use this timing system, no more ski timing systems. They also just launched a Youth Program that is introducing youth to the sport of cycling (without this the sport is not very sustainable - looking at the race demographic for a DH race is evident of this), they have also purchased lap counters, chip timing devices, and are in the process of purchasing a timing trailer - this would act as the hub for DH and XC races. They're looking to build their brand and consistency across the disciplines….So…these all seem like "better" steps.

But I'm also curious what a "better" CBC means to you? I'm sure if you provided them a little insight into what your definition of "better" is they could make some movement in that direction. Believe it or not there are a few people working for CBC that are committed to making it a better organization, but it requires people to wo/man up and share their ideas, rather than bitch and complain about them being and ambiguous "better"…

So let's hear it…..

Nov. 24, 2011, 3:39 p.m.

My main issues from this last season:

Results not updated online in any timely fashion. No current leader standings or leader jerseys for the pros. Also, no leader plates for the pro class.

BC Championships weren't even recognized at the Mt. Washington race. No medal, no mention etc. Yes, there was an award given for the BC Cup recognition of the race but not even a mention of the word "BC DH Champion". Also, in some of the categories (pro men, for example) the winner of the BC Cup race wasn't from BC. In the previous BC Cup race/BC Championship event there was a separate distinction and if there was someone from out of province then the fastest BC person in that category was declared the BC Champion. The winners also received a BC Championship jersey. None of that happened this year.

The BC Cup webpage says that the BC Cup Series overall winners will receive some token of recognition for the series. In previous years, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers all received something that was awarded to them at the finals. One year it was a nice glass etched trophy; another year it was nicely framed pictures. This year, the organizers of the final race of the year were simply given a list of the overall winners (no 2nd or 3rd place standings) but nothing with which to award them. Some people worked very hard and made sacrifices to make it to the appropriate number of races and didn't receive any recognition of their commitment to the BC Cup Series. I noticed that this really affected the younger up and coming racers who, incidentally, should be very important to CBC.

Finally, there was a real lack of communication in general. A specifically bad instance was during the time of the cancellation of the Arduum race. Between that cancellation and the following race there was lots of misinformation of how the overall series was going to be calculated and it wasn't confirmed until the following races were almost upon us, leaving very little time to change one's availability to make races.

That all being said, I'm optimistic that changes have already been put in place to not repeat these mistakes next year. But you did ask for specifics.

Nov. 24, 2011, 7:52 p.m.

The BC Cup webpage says that the BC Cup Series overall winners will receive some token of recognition for the series. In previous years, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers all received something that was awarded to them at the finals. One year it was a nice glass etched trophy; another year it was nicely framed pictures. This year, the organizers of the final race of the year were simply given a list of the overall winners (no 2nd or 3rd place standings) but nothing with which to award them. Some people worked very hard and made sacrifices to make it to the appropriate number of races and didn't receive any recognition of their commitment to the BC Cup Series. I noticed that this really affected the younger up and coming racers who, incidentally, should be very important to CBC.

According to the cycling bc Facebook page, bc cup series winners should be expecting something in the mail shortly. Better late than never I guess.

Nov. 24, 2011, 10:31 p.m.

^^^Yup, I agree. Let's hope that it's a sign of better things to come!

Nov. 25, 2011, 8:35 a.m.

Well since fvmba is running this 4X series as a BC Cup series, I should again state what we are offering.
Champion Jerseys for series.
CyclingBC rep. will be on hand to hand out to winners.
FVMBA will be taking pixs at the end with them on a podium ,to go onto fvmba website under the 4X series page.
All swag collected to date will be given away ,with the younger guns getting first crack at it,older riders to date in knowing this have all said "perfect".
All 4X races including final are $12 and with practices being $7, like our toonie series we the fvmba ran this summer for $2, can be no cheaper.
sponsors,likeNorco/Kona/Kaliprotectives/Northshorebikeshop/wentings/Obsession/Lifecycles/mapleridgecycle/crankys/bikebrewery have all given swag .Some have come up with nominal $cash,which we donate back to the sport by way of helping out some kids who can't afford it. I will not elaborate.
FYI the bulk of the money from entry fees goes to Abby BMX ,for the rent. No one is paid.
At the end of the season when we are done and crawl home,just paying the rent and being able to do this again ,will be our reward. I do get hugs once in a while and thank you's.
Still feel a little hard done by or maybe feel you have valid concerns? pm me.
Thanks to all of you who come out and support 4X cycling and abby bmx/fvmba,because with out you
None of this would be here.
gary:)

FVMBA Website

Nov. 25, 2011, 8:36 a.m.

There was an AGM which gave you an opportunity to voice your concerns. I did attend and asked questions regarding the BC Cup the shortcomings on results and awards. Cycling BC provided answers to the concerns which are being discussed in this thread.

The AGM is just one way to provide feedback to Cycling BC, when I phone or email my concerns they are always more than helpful.

Is this all talk or how many of you have been pro-active in helping improve the racing community and work with Cycling BC by providing feedback and suggestions?

Another NSMB elitist know it all wanker!