Hard Enduro

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:21 a.m.

I have been watching the dirt bike Hard Enduro series on Red bull.
http://www.redbull.tv/episodes/AP-1H1X5D3Y12111/red-bull-hare-scramble

We used to have something quite similar in mountain biking with the Tony Horn Samurai series and Clark Lewis Races in Whistler. The races are definitely not "enduro", but a survival/sufferfest/high-five series. Goal was always to punish and see who made it. Definitely, needed to be a jack of all trades, to do well.
Some of the events made me laugh (i.e. phd climb and descent race, lost lake night-time time trial, 5 person hole shot race up Yummy Numby, Pemby samurai long course).

Personally I love this type of racing. It's a ridiculous event, that causes excitement, banter and fear leading up to the race. Usually super grass-roots (with the typical timing glitches - which I enjoy).

So, what's similar on the 2016 calendar in BC this year. I think I have already burnt out on the strict format of enduro.

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:40 a.m.

I've heard a couple of rumours, and ideas, we'll see if they shake out over the next few months!

Jan. 12, 2016, 4:26 p.m.

I'd love to see one of these be an annual event that migrates up and down and around the Sea To Sky / Valley / SSC. Spread the organizational load out among a team. Keep it grass roots, no real sponsorship or categories.

Tony has set a bit of a foundation on the style with the Royal events and we now have timing figured out with the SportIdent system.

With the work involved in the Fiver's and a 7 month old on my hands I won't commit to more, but can help/advise if anyone wants to step up and organize.

Jan. 12, 2016, 10:14 p.m.

Not sure something of Tony's caliber can exist in YVR. The rides themselves occur, but probably 50% or more of the terrain used wouldn't be usable for a race for various reasons. For example a triple crown is a great ride, but couldn't be made into a race.

Not to mention the lack of a "valley trail" connecting multiple riding areas. With a race going through streets, I wonder what sort of permitting is required.

I think Squamish has the potential. A huge weekend of riding can be had by hitting up every single zone there.

Jan. 13, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

It's called the Test of Metal. Take your enduro bike!

Jan. 13, 2016, 3:12 p.m.

It's called the Test of Metal. Take your enduro bike!

Not even close to the same level. The TOM is bit of a sprint fitness challenge.

These classic events required equal parts skill and technique and challenged more than one type of fitness.

They could happen on the Shore, it would be much more permitting and planning work, linking up the mountains via road on untimed sections can happen just need to plan for it and ask for the right permission from the right folks.

Jan. 13, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

you're only allowed spandex races in Squamish

Jan. 29, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

I have some ideas. Won't happen this year though.

Jan. 30, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

4 Aces!!!

Jan. 31, 2016, 2:41 p.m.

Whatever happened to that race on Sea Isl. where you pounded a :beer: every lap?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 6, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

The 4 Cards races piss on the Enduro format,

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman