Good DH Training Runs

Feb. 16, 2005, 9:14 p.m.

Heya I live at the base of seymour (off of hyannis) and was woundering what trails on the shore (pref. the 3 peaks) are the best for dh training. Ive ridden Mystery Downhill and found it to be decent, but I would like to hear all of your opinions. I am new to DH, so please don't suggest retartedly hard courses.

~NSP~
Hardtail Pride
Join the NSMBA to support your trails!

Feb. 16, 2005, 9:16 p.m.

Cypress Roach Hit/ Clip Is good. Also Mystery. Take your bike for a whirl around the demonstrationf orest to get cardio up.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Feb. 16, 2005, 9:20 p.m.

if you go hard on Neds it's pretty good. Time your runs, top to bottom and work on improving your lap speed.

it's really tiring when you pin it the whole way.

Feb. 16, 2005, 9:31 p.m.

NOT NED's

This trail was never intended to be a high speed DH run. It's going to see some changes this year that will slow it down. If you're not a hack you'll still be able to have tons of fun on it tho.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 16, 2005, 9:56 p.m.

^ I love you man.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Feb. 16, 2005, 10:07 p.m.

Originally posted by synchro
**NOT NED's

This trail was never intended to be a high speed DH run. It's going to see some changes this year that will slow it down. If you're not a hack you'll still be able to have tons of fun on it tho. **

bingo. there have several times ive been passed rudely beside or overtop me by people trying to break the world landspeed record. if you wanna race go to a official race course.

any hints on what will be put on neds??

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Feb. 16, 2005, 10:16 p.m.

Bear Mtn.

I always thought Ned's was the beginner downhill training run. When I started riding 3 or 4 years ago, that's what it was described to me as. I think Ned's was likely originally intended as an xc run that people used to climb up. Trails evolve, things change. I think you'll have lots of opposition if you want to slow it down.

Personally I don't care, fast isn't usually used to describe my riding.

Feb. 16, 2005, 10:37 p.m.

Neds is endorsed as a DH "fast" trail on the trail guide maps.

Feb. 16, 2005, 11:54 p.m.

Neds is only good if you like riding stairs for 20 minutes straight. Nothing but rocks and roots on that trail.

http://www.scottvelez.com

Feb. 17, 2005, 6:20 a.m.

Originally posted by bullit_kid
Neds is endorsed as a DH "fast" trail on the trail guide maps.

that's true, but it shouldn't be tho.

the builder didn't intend for it to be a dh course
ned's used to be a nice climb up
ned's is designated as an intermediate run
ned's is/was one of the best trails to cut your teeth on the shore

ned's has taken a lot of punishment and abuse because of:

1. the amount of traffic it sees
2. the type of riding it sees
3. re number one - the lack of people maintaing the trail

you will still be able to ride ned's fast, just not at warp speed. the changes being made will slow it down a bit, make it more technical as opposed to a straight line down the mountain, help prevent erosion and make it safer for newer riders so they don't have to worry about getting run off the trail

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 17, 2005, 7:22 a.m.

I kinda thought Mystery DH on cypress is probably the best trail for training run.

Feb. 17, 2005, 7:44 a.m.

There's nothing that great on the North Shore for DH training. For high speed and reading the terrain fast Ned's is good, but DH courses aren't like that at all. Some section are ok though.

Sex Boy can be effective as long as you do multiple timed runs, trying to better it each time. Scary as hell riding it at race pace. Roach hit/clip is good for the same reason. Mystery DH is pretty good for speed. Cypress is pretty much the best because will prepare you for anything scary you'll see in a race and make you work for it.

7th is actually not bad because it's so long and will give you a hell of a workout. Not so good on a DH sled though.

Feb. 17, 2005, 10:50 a.m.

I say just ride a lot of cypress, steep slick rooty stuff will make you faster in all aspects especially if you cna pin it through tthat stuff.

I was a little dissapointed actually just because all the stuff for sale was mostly for females, but I was able to pick up some "rocket power" which is like a tingiling balm for your peepee.

I was joking I'd probably never have sex with a hooker. I'm friends with a couple of the high up ones though…

Feb. 17, 2005, 12:36 p.m.

Originally posted by synchro
**NOT NED's

This trail was never intended to be a high speed DH run. It's going to see some changes this year that will slow it down. If you're not a hack you'll still be able to have tons of fun on it tho. **

Blow me, Neds rocks for a DH run. just dont do it mid day on the weekend when there is some traffic. the fun thing about neds is the faster you go the smoother it is.

Mystery is good and you can really rail on both Krinkem and Esspresso on fromme.

Feb. 17, 2005, 12:50 p.m.

wayne - pls dont publicize Cypress. A lot of the switchbacks on Sex Boy are trashed by skidiots out of control. Can you edit this post to take it out?