Gate tips?

Feb. 18, 2005, 4:10 p.m.

So I guess this would be more for the 4x people or maybe for a few of you that might race bmx (not sure about how dh gates work). But anyways I guess this thread is to share any tips for how to get that extra 'pop' out of the gate, whether it be tips for on the gate, or for training for the gate.

I guess I will start it off with saying that a good basic practice for gates is just doing quick sprints from a standstill. I find that this helps to build the right muscles for that quick start, and it will allow you to over time increase your acceleration out of the gate.

A tip for on the gate that I have been told is to breath deep and heavily. This will allow you to have that extra oxygen to burn near the end of the race, instead of running on fumes.

Feb. 23, 2005, 2:40 a.m.

Well, when I used to run I'd always yawn before starting a race. I started doing it as a way to calm my nerves as it helps lower the heart rate, but I was told later that it can actually help my start as I get more oxygen into my blood. I'm not sure if this is true, but I do it out of habit before any competition.

As for get starts: Work on trackstands, be able to balance perfectly without brakes for extended times. Then start working on fast breaks out of track stands. The more balance you have the quicker you can start.

Off the bike get those fast twitch muscle working. Do explosive weight training: clean and jerk, squats, etc. Do sprint workouts on a track(running). These will all help you if you are serious about getting the gate starts dialed.

The Ito