enduro world series thread

May 22, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

Yep you guys are right. I totally underrated him.

People seem pissed about Barel shuttling the shit out of the course for two weeks leading up to the race. Rightly so IMO.

yeah, at first I didn't get why they were making such a big deal about practice, but if that's your focus and you have the resources to get there that far ahead of time, it could be a real advantage.

May 22, 2013, 4:07 p.m.

yeah, at first I didn't get why they were making such a big deal about practice, but if that's your focus and you have the resources to get there that far ahead of time, it could be a real advantage.

Yeah I just don't think it's fair. So now every Enduro racer has to have a car and driver to shuttle them at every race? BS IMO. I think Tracey Moseley has the right attitude.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 22, 2013, 4:42 p.m.

next race will be different, less practice and more stages.

May 22, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

seems like the unavoidable trajectory of a sport hitting the mainstream: it starts out all grassroots and chill, people like it so it starts getting more attention; then the cool kids come, followed by the type-a's and the spawnzors; pretty soon its like any other sport, dominated by money and front-runners; the hordes go nuts and the og's decry the state of the sport and go looking for the next/"real" thing. seems we're in between stage 2 and 3 right now with enduro, there's still a chill grass roots vibe but the big companies and their riders are on the scene, and will bring all the trappings of corporate wealth and try to tilt the playing field in their favour, gut the sport and kill its soul as quickly as possible to make a buck because its the only economic model they know. in that video about flow a few weeks ago, barel was talking about how enduro was different and more pure than modern dh because it required the rider to "just ride," reading the terrain as it came and just flowing. now he's at the heart of a "too much practice is killing the soul of enduro" controversy :dizzy:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 22, 2013, 9:14 p.m.

Wasn't this issue brought up a few weeks back when the EWS released the course info? I wondered how anyone without a big bankroll would be able to compete

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 22, 2013, 9:52 p.m.

I just think you should have to ride a bike, even in practice. If you shuttle your out. Surely that is fair to guys who have put in the training who will be at an advantage.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 22, 2013, 11:12 p.m.

generally seems like the spirit of these events dictate that you pedal around to practice, but if you can drive or take a chairlift to the start, people will do that. you can have some influence on that with course design, and with keeping details sparse until near race day (days or weeks ahead). local trail knowledge will be an advantage, but the best riders with still be fastest after a few laps.

May 23, 2013, 6:30 a.m.

Wasn't this issue brought up a few weeks back when the EWS released the course info? I wondered how anyone without a big bankroll would be able to compete

if you are able to compete the big bankroll will come soner or later. exhibit a: martin maes, 16, on flats and 2-ply tires

May 23, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

if you are able to compete the big bankroll will come soner or later. exhibit a: martin maes, 16, on flats and 2-ply tires

Riding for a team with a Vito and mechanic to shuttle…

Say your a fast guy from out of town who has a real job, takes time off work to practice a few days before, flys in an gets a taxi to the venue and boom. All the locals and pro's and sort of pro's have been shuttling the course to death. What you gonna do? Panic and get hire a car with someone in a similar boat and shuttle or kill yourself for the race by pedalling multiple laps.

One turns it into an expensive hassle and the other puts you at a massive disadvantage for the race. BS.

- Morgman

May 23, 2013, 10:03 a.m.

Each event in the series has it's own take on the rules for pre-riding.

Punta Ala is a resort town and they want people to come and pre ride in the weeks leading up to the event so they posted the courses a month before the race. They wanted the semi local Italians to be able to come for a weekend (ie spend money in the town) and pre-ride.

The races in France will be back to the blind/semi blind style of racing. Set number of practice available and courses not announced until shortly before the race. I think it's a mix of lifts and stuff that can only be ridden pedal power to access. Going to be a whole difference character.

There will be some teething problems to work out with shuttling/pre-riding, but I think they'll get a handle on it.

The Dirt mag 17 minute video was great.

May 23, 2013, 10:43 a.m.

Riding for a team with a Vito and mechanic to shuttle…

he wasn't last year, and yet he got a spot in a top team.

Say your a fast guy from out of town who has a real job, takes time off work to practice a few days before, flys in an gets a taxi to the venue and boom. All the locals and pro's and sort of pro's have been shuttling the course to death. What you gonna do? Panic and get hire a car with someone in a similar boat and shuttle or kill yourself for the race by pedalling multiple laps.

One turns it into an expensive hassle and the other puts you at a massive disadvantage for the race. BS.

race a few smaller enduro races, make a name for yourself, get spot in top team, try to win? the ews is NOT a series for amateurs. this is supposed to be the world cup equivalent for enduro, why do you guys assume it should be something for normal guys? thats what the national series in europe are for…

July 9, 2013, 1:47 p.m.

So some big differences from Punta Ala to Val D'Allos and Les Deux Alpes.

A lot less open training time. Plenty of lift riding, but sounds like racers are still beat from the racing.

Dirt TV again with a wicked edit.

Certainly has me stoked and a big scared for when the EWS rolls into Whistler in a month.

July 14, 2013, 7:07 p.m.

Certainly has me stoked and a big scared for when the EWS rolls into Whistler in a month.

Thats certainly what I'm feeling more and more following all the EWS coverage…this is SERIOUS!!!…with all these names like Clemenz, Atherton, Barel, Graves, etc., etc. And at least you've got some local knowledge;) Oh well, I'm looking forward to a fun time without any carnage hopefully.

July 14, 2013, 8:17 p.m.

You doing the WBP Enduro on Friday?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 15, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

You doing the WBP Enduro on Friday?

Yes I think so. Going to try the call in pre-reg. I think 150 spots will go quick.