enduro world series thread

Aug. 12, 2013, 4:28 p.m.

Fabian would have finished 3rd without the time penalty…

What are the 5sec time penalties for?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 12, 2013, 4:35 p.m.

Must be a start line penalty. It's the only thing listed in the rule book that has a 5 second penalty.

Racers must have a least one foot on the ground until the start horn. Failure to do so will result in the assessment of a 5
second penalty. Leaving the start before the start horn will result in a 60 second penalty.

Aug. 14, 2013, 8:42 a.m.

Pinkbike. There's a whole interview with Barel about the penalty. I'd explain, but I didn't bother watching.

welcome to the bottom of my post.

Aug. 14, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

Good interview with Fabien on Pinkbike.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Fabien-Barel-In-The-Penalty-Box-Five-Minutes-For-Shuttling.html

Greg Minaar let loose on facebook yesterday with a few comments on Barel

I love the sob story on @pinkbike. 3 of the 5 Enduro rounds you are accused of cheating…. Never smoke without fire!

EWS is a lot of fun, no pressure of knowing the track, just pure old school racing. But obviously there are some who feel the need to push the boundaries of the rules. It's a new sport, there gonna be gaps in ruling, but I just don't see the need for riders (one in particular ) to be at the forefront of bending the rules. It's not the heart of sport or apparently the spirit of Enduro.

I have been to 2 EWS, and on both occasions the same rider was involved with some kind of controversy.

I really feel for the guys like Graves and Clemonts, they are great ambassadors for EWS, but have to race with the thought of a competitor taking short cuts

Do you remember Canberra world champs??? Actually in my opinion he broke the rules there

Ask CG's photographer who was almost run over by a certain rider cutting the track in Val d allows… I've seen the pics. Unfortunately it's up to the character of riders, which you won't see in an interview

Aug. 14, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

for a guy who is usually pretty quiet(or seems to be), he sure seems to have a bug up his ass with him. I'd love to know some back story or see the photos…it always seemed like Barel is a likeable guy.

Aug. 14, 2013, 9:45 a.m.

Not to clump one set of people together, I am sure there are lots of honest French people in France. But I know a few parisien French people and they are a crafty shady crew. I wouldn't trust the ones I know as far as I could throw them.

mtbskierdad

Aug. 14, 2013, 9:54 a.m.

From the Jared Graves journal (http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Jared-Graves-Rider-Journal-EWS-5-Whistler-2013.html).

"The day before the race and I was feeling pretty tired. I knew I needed to take it easy or, at least, easier than Friday. The bottom of Stage 4 was very close to our house for the week, so it was an easy pedal over."

Isn't that a 2 minute minor penalty for not starting in the village?

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:03 a.m.

for a guy who is usually pretty quiet(or seems to be), he sure seems to have a bug up his ass with him. I'd love to know some back story or see the photos…it always seemed like Barel is a likeable guy.

Backstory for anyone that hasn't been following every round of the EWS.

Round 1 in Italy. Courses were announced weeks before the event, some riders showed up early and shuttled the crap out of the courses daily for weeks pre-riding. Some riders didn't have that luxury, as the race was posted you had to climb up on race day riders assumed practice was the same. Riders were scrambling to figure out shuttles or trashing rental cars on crappy roads to shuttle. Race day rule is helmet is mandatory at all times. Fab chooses not to bring along a second XC helmet and just pushes up his full face on top of his head. Other like Peaty and Minnar strap the full face to their pack and put on the XC lid thinking that is the rule. Peaty tweeted about the helmet thing saying why did they bother having XC helmets floppy around on their packs if they didn't need them.

Round 2 Val d'Allos France. Lots of murmurs in the edits about course cutting. This photo surfaced after the Fab penalty in Whistler. http://instagram.com/p/c2rx6OzPts/

Round 5 Whistler. In the rule book there is a rule about no shuttling. It does not specify anything about practice. Just no outside help and shuttling. Many racers including myself assume this is just for race day. At the MANDATORY racers meeting the organizers clarify the rule stating that there is no shuttling allowed in practice. Ride from home/condo or ride form the village, no exceptions. Fab skipped the meeting. At the meeting the organizers specifically state that photo evidence is needed from the riders if they see other riders breaking the rules and want to make a claim. You can't just say so and so was breaking a rule, get some evidence that clearly shows it. We were told to pretty much self enforce the rules and keep each other honest this way.

That would be most of the info to fill in a backstory to the drama and give some context to Minnar's tweets.

Fab's story after the race is pretty one sided in my opinion. Doesn't matter that he ONLY drove 1.5km of flat road. What if he had also then drove up to the top of AM/PM to get some laps on that, then drove over to the top of Alpine to cut some of the ride off for Stage 4? Driving is driving and it was against the rules no matter how small the amount. Lesson is don't skip the mandatory meetings.

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

if it's a mandatory meeting, is there no penalty for not attending?

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

if it's a mandatory meeting, is there no penalty for not attending?

No written one.

How about 5 minutes, same outcome.

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

Round 2 Val d'Allos France. Lots of murmurs in the edits about course cutting. This photo surfaced after the Fab penalty in Whistler. http://instagram.com/p/c2rx6OzPts/

-edit-(if it's true) That's bad, I used to like Barel. Loosing a fan…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:40 a.m.

No written one.

How about 5 minutes, same outcome.

I was thinking if it's mandatory:

no attend = no race

otherwise it's not really mandatory

Aug. 14, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

^exactly.

regardless, the sport is in it's infancy, and we're bound to see a bit of drama as the grey areas are ironed out. i'm sure fb, or others for that matter, won't be making the same 'mistakes' moving forward.

overall, a super rad race series.

Aug. 14, 2013, 12:05 p.m.

Thanks shirk. Although I've followed it loosely, I never saw the photo.

Aug. 14, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

When the fastest guy takes home $10k, they need to have some rules and make sure racers stick by them.