enduro world series thread

May 20, 2013, 8:12 p.m.

how is it that there isn't a thread on this yet?

i'm curious to see what kind of race videos come out this week after round 1. in the past enduro race coverage videos haven't been stellar, but maybe they'll pick up this year with the increased hype/coverage

happy to see barrel win the first round against a stacked field

bummed that acc busted a bunch of ribs on the first track of the first race of the season. though, this is probably the handicap the women's series needed; her conditioning will innevitably suffer as she takes time off to heal, and that will keep things competitive ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 20, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

kinda thought the first race recap vid was kinda weak….tons of slow-mo and seemed like not much riding….barels my main man on my dirt team, and I had blenki and lopes too, as well as ACC so was bummed to hear she cracked up ribs!

May 21, 2013, 11:45 a.m.

Glad that all the 'real' DH racers got spanked. Would have removed any legitimacy IMO if Minaar, Peat etc had swamped the podium.

May 21, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

Glad that all the 'real' DH racers got spanked. Would have removed any legitimacy IMO if Minaar, Peat etc had swamped the podium.

As unreal fast as all the world cup guys are, I think this format is different enough that they wouldn't have been able to waltz in and clean up. If they keep at it though, that could be another story.

Look at Fabian. I'm sure if Peaty retires and focuses all his training on Enduro, he'll start winning.

Ride, don't slide.

May 21, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

As unreal fast as all the world cup guys are, I think this format is different enough that they wouldn't have been able to waltz in and clean up. If they keep at it though, that could be another story.

Look at Fabian. I'm sure if Peaty retires and focuses all his training on Enduro, he'll start winning.

and to be fair, Fab isn't exactly not a dh'er….and Blenki in fifth….that being said, it's no secret that a bunch of current WC guys weren't exactly taking risks in this event as they have other more important goals for the season.

May 21, 2013, 12:30 p.m.

and to be fair, Fab isn't exactly not a dh'er…

That's what I mean. I'm sure if any of the WC guys retire and focus their talents on enduro, like Fab, they will move up the leader board pretty quick.

Ride, don't slide.

May 21, 2013, 12:46 p.m.

That's what I mean. I'm sure if any of the WC guys retire and focus their talents on enduro, like Fab, they will move up the leader board pretty quick.

I think the DH guys would dominate only if they continue to allow shuttles for multiple practice runs. If the entire race were self-propelled the DH guys that study courses in greater detail would lose some of their advantage over the racers that are removed from elite DH racing and pre-determined line selection.

If they only get a lap or 2 for practice, the DH guys would be forced to slow themselves down a little bit.

The media seemed to portray the course as technical challenge rather than a fitness challenge which gives and even greater advantage to those with a pure DH background.

May 21, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

drama already, Peaty having a go about Fab's fullface helmet up off his face on a liaison stage as shown in one of the PB photos…

May 21, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

drama already, Peaty having a go about Fab's fullface helmet up off his face on a liaison stage as shown in one of the PB photos…

I think Peaty etc weren't expecting to get destroyed by so much. Sore looser?

The guy I'm most surprised about is Graves. I really didn't think he had it in him to smash the rough crap. Super nice guy so great for him to have a second career so to speak.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 21, 2013, 2:32 p.m.

I think Peaty etc weren't expecting to get destroyed by so much. Sore looser?

The guy I'm most surprised about is Graves. I really didn't think he had it in him to smash the rough crap. Super nice guy so great for him to have a second career so to speak.

Norba overall dh and multiple wc dh top 50s not enough for you??

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 21, 2013, 8:01 p.m.

I guess. I'd still have had money on Atherton and Absalon etc beating him though.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 22, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

http://mpora.com/videos/AAdhcli5pb90

now that's what i'm talking about. lots of slow mo, but pro-level footage rather than (what looks like) riders being chased down trails with ipads

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 22, 2013, 10:29 a.m.

So glad to see the Parkin Bros doing EWS coverage. Quality race footage and good commentary too.

flickr

May 22, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

at the Australian National Championships this year — he finished eight in the pro cross-country race and less than an hour after his race, qualified first in downhill and went on to place second in the finals.

If that doesn't make him well suited to Enduro…

May 22, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

[QUOTE=ol' dirty;2752666]at the Australian National Championships this year — he finished eight in the pro cross-country race and less than an hour after his race, qualified first in downhill and went on to place second in the finals.

If that doesn't make him well suited to Enduro…

Yep you guys are right. I totally underrated him.

People seem pissed about Barel shuttling the shit out of the course for two weeks leading up to the race. Rightly so IMO.

- Morgman