Endurance Road Race (Vätternrundan)?

April 27, 2014, 11:55 p.m.

Just curious if anyone here has done the Vätternrundan in Sweden? 300km recreational (sort-of) bike ride. Or has any amateur roadie here finished some other long endurance ride?

First time doing something this long, any words of wisdom?

edit: Not just trying to finish the race, trying to do it in a semi-respectable time with a group.

April 28, 2014, 6:52 a.m.

haven't done that one , haven't even been to sweden but here's my advice . . .

have a meeting with the group well before the event and decide what the goals are for individuals and the group as a whole . only then can you realistically plan the ride .

you should have some idea of what you are capable of for time and average speed in an ideal situation , then account for poor weather , mechanicals , eating and resting . decide beforehand how you and the group will deal with unforeseen circumstances so that if and when they do happen , you will be executing a plan that you have already at least thought of , rather than just reacting out of surprise .

i haven't done a three hundred , but several two hundreds . for me , the fitness is never a problem . the bigger challenge , which i really like , is the ability to stay mentally focused and upbeat throughout a long day on the bike .

redbull and reggae are my secret weapons :lol: .

April 28, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

I've never done that kind of thing but worked with a guy who was in to very long road rides.

I'm sure some of these people have done the race in Sweden you are interested in, or will have good advice:
http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/

May 7, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

A bit late to the party but in Canada at least, look for people who have done the 'Golden Triangle'. From the HWY1 junction 92 outside Calgary (I think) to Radium hot springs to Golden and back to the start. Approx 300km. Definitely know at least one group that has done that as a day ride.

May 13, 2014, 10:53 a.m.

A bit late to the party but in Canada at least, look for people who have done the 'Golden Triangle'. From the HWY1 junction 92 outside Calgary (I think) to Radium hot springs to Golden and back to the start. Approx 300km. Definitely know at least one group that has done that as a day ride.

Holy, 300 km for a day ride. Last year I did about 140 on my commuter, not really road bike thin tires, still far away from 300 on any bike.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 13, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

I've done a couple of 200s, one 300, and a 400. Average speed goes down the longer you go, due not only to slower pacing but just more shit going on. I finished a 200k rando event in under 8 hours, did 220 in 10 hours, 300 in 15, and the 400 took 19.

All of these rides were accomplished as a team and not solo. The longer rides were done with a trusted riding partner. Someone you actually like spending time with is key. This is like road tripping with mid day bonks, flats, and so on.

Shitloads of bananas, coke half cut with water, clif bars. Water, water, water. Extra tubes, patches. And a proper bike fit if you haven't done that already.

If you really want a "respectable" finish but haven't done this kind of distance before, I would highly recommend doing some shorter rando events to practice.

And, always stop for a photo when you reach a summit ;)

flickr

May 13, 2014, 11:20 a.m.

Looks like a nice ride through gentle rolling countryside based on the altitude profile online. Its only 1800m of total elevation, according to Strava. Lots of gentle climbs and descents to break the monotony of a 300 km ride. Should be fun.

May 13, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

who that silver bike , morg' ?

saddle do not look " clit friendly " :lol:

May 13, 2014, 12:11 p.m.

I've done a couple of 200s, one 300, and a 400. Average speed goes down the longer you go, due not only to slower pacing but just more shit going on. I finished a 200k rando event in under 8 hours, did 220 in 10 hours, 300 in 15, and the 400 took 19.

All of these rides were accomplished as a team and not solo. The longer rides were done with a trusted riding partner. Someone you actually like spending time with is key. This is like road tripping with mid day bonks, flats, and so on.

Shitloads of bananas, coke half cut with water, clif bars. Water, water, water. Extra tubes, patches. And a proper bike fit if you haven't done that already.

Seems like food/energy intake is one of the biggest things. I did 180 last weekend, pulling two guys 1/2 of it, and solo the rest. So 300 with the group should be alright. It's coming up in 30 days or so now, so we're pretty much down the stretch now.

May 13, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

who that silver bike , morg' ?

saddle do not look " clit friendly " :lol:

My buddy Andrew. People often like their Brooks tilted up, but his was extreme. He was having some ahem chronic pain, and that's what was working at the time.

flickr