Cycling BC AGM - the state of racing in BC

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:22 a.m.

Nope, that about covers it. I wouldn't have made any comment on your last post but anyone reading that could have easily formed the opinion that I am a stubborn holdout and I am really tired of seeing inaccurate information posted about this endless debate and me personally.
You are correct in saying that we both want the sport to progress but I doubt we agree on what progression means or the best path to that goal.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

I haven't been a part of the BMX scene for awhile so this question is somewhat uneducated.

If the ABA tracks have chosen to affiliate with ABA and they feel they are not getting something that the CBC tracks are (ie coaching) why not pressure the ABA to provide that service instead of forcing CBC to switch to a new affiliation? You choose your affiliation and live with the consequences.

From a CBC (gobernment sponsored entity) I can see the conflict from a optics perspective. Could you imaging the outcry from taxpayers if they found that a portion of any funding was being sent south, especially if other sporting groups are working independently in Canada. I know the funding wouldn't go directly to the US but race revenues represent offsets to government funding. I think this concern could easily be resolved by having ABA open a Canadian office with canadian employees where the cdn admin could be done.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

Nope, that about covers it. I wouldn't have made any comment on your last post but anyone reading that could have easily formed the opinion that I am a stubborn holdout and I am really tired of seeing inaccurate information posted about this endless debate and me personally.
You are correct in saying that we both want the sport to progress but I doubt we agree on what progression means or the best path to that goal.

Well, maybe you are taking it a bit too personally, then. The only things I've said about you personally is that I have a lot of respect for your volunteer work. And, I don't think I was inaccurate in stating that you and your family don't race the ABA races. You don't, generally. I have NEVER seen you at one, but I was also not at the Grands in October, and I understand your son raced there. I'm sure you can come back at me and post a few Nationals your boy raced at now. Fine. Point being, it doesn't change the facts that you pretty much do not race or participate in any meaningful way in ABA events, and largely have avoided being a part of that series in any meaningful way. Am I being inaccurate in that statement? Because if I am, please tell me, as I believe the point is relevant in that we required someone at that BMX position at CBC who has deep roots and connections to all BMX racers in BC. I used you as an example as someone who doesn’t, I’m sorry about that if it somehow offended you, but in no way am I going to apologize for any other statement, because it simply isn’t warranted.

Andy, I am not and have not taken a run at you, and for whatever reason you seem to think I have. Point it out to me. I am taking a run at CBC, and specifically at their CEO. I completely disagree with the way he chooses to run the entire organization- not just BMX- and how he has chosen to treat certain members.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 18, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

I haven't been a part of the BMX scene for awhile so this question is somewhat uneducated.

If the ABA tracks have chosen to affiliate with ABA and they feel they are not getting something that the CBC tracks are (ie coaching) why not pressure the ABA to provide that service instead of forcing CBC to switch to a new affiliation? You choose your affiliation and live with the consequences.

From a CBC (gobernment sponsored entity) I can see the conflict from a optics perspective. Could you imaging the outcry from taxpayers if they found that a portion of any funding was being sent south, especially if other sporting groups are working independently in Canada. I know the funding wouldn't go directly to the US but race revenues represent offsets to government funding. I think this concern could easily be resolved by having ABA open a Canadian office with canadian employees where the cdn admin could be done.

Already done. We're calling it ABA here for transparancy reasons, but the Canadian branch of ABA is called BMX Canada.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

The ABA does not train or certify coaches. CBC does, but they have chosen not to certify coaches in BC if they race at a BMXC track. Even if they hold a CBC membership, are willing to pay for the certification and race the CBC series.

From a CBC (government sponsored entity) I can see the conflict from a optics perspective. Could you imaging the outcry from taxpayers if they found that a portion of any funding was being sent south, especially if other sporting groups are working independently in Canada. I know the funding wouldn't go directly to the US but race revenues represent offsets to government funding. I think this concern could easily be resolved by having ABA open a Canadian office with canadian employees where the cdn admin could be done.

I agree with that perception, but there are many details that are not public and I hope to bring those to light. Money for development will never be sent to the ABA, that is a given. BMXC is willing to work with CBC and find a way to solve the problem, but CBC does not want to discuss any options.

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:25 a.m.

We have some really fast kids on Vancouver Island, but the tracks are all ABA…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Oh and I loved how the Island cross racers and women in particular did really well at Nationals… Norm and all the volunteers at Cross on the Rock have done a great job!

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

http://pedalmag.com/?p=177768

in other news my home town in Ontario is getting a velodrome??!! didn't know any roadies or track stars back in the day, but we got a strong bike community….

Simple… Hamilton didn't want it. Milton wanted it and got it.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2012/11/15/hamilton-pan-am-velodrome.html

Looks like the Velodrome facility is being built as part of the new Sir Wilfred Laurier Campus.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 18, 2012, 10:49 a.m.

Perhaps I have gotten to the point that I am taking much of this too personally but in the context of this particular topic that could just as easily be an interpretation issue. Without typing out a novel length post it is easy enough to leave things open to a myriad of different possible interpretations.

My decision to post anything at all to this topic was to ensure that people that are seeking information to base their vote on are aware that not everything they read on these forums is fact. I have a pretty solid understanding of BMX and funding from the Cycling BC context and only passing knowledge of what happens at the ABA tracks. The fact that I have run a track that races on the same night as the only local ABA track more or less ensured that was that case. I have loads of second hand ABA knowledge, I try not to post any of that anywhere as I have no idea if it is correct and I would not want anyone basing a decision on it.

As a general statement I would say that the truth of the matter lies somewhere in the middle and anyone seeking information should be aware that most views presented are biased, including mine.

Nov. 19, 2012, 10:14 a.m.

Not that I am trying to divert attention away from the BMX discussion but what about a new governance model for Cycling BC?

I’d like to hear from anyone who has ideas about how to reform Cycling BC’s governance model. Here’s a few common sense ideas below I’ve compiled to start the ball rolling in case anyone else is interested in discussing.

The diverse geographical distribution of members (and potential new members!) within our large province is currently under served in terms of the realistic opportunities that are made available to participate within Cycling BC’s governance process. Requiring members to allocate non-trivial amounts of personal funds toward travel expenses to attend annual general meetings in or near the Lower Mainland is not inclusive or equitable.

As a result, AGM participation is largely skewed every year toward a disproportionate number of local attendees, regardless of the location. The current bylaw requirement is to hold the AGM outside the Greater Vancouver Regional District only once or more every five years. Even if the AGM location were to be moved around to different locations in B.C. each year above and beyond the minimum requirements, only the fraction of the membership located in any given locale would be likely to attend the AGM.

The members deserve a more forward-thinking governance process which provides greater opportunities for member oversight of operations, and to help shape future directions. Several possible methods exist in our world of modern technologies that could improve access to the governance process for the entire province, such as;

1. Establishing a number of remote AGM venues (e.g. Lower Mainland, Island, Interior, Northern B.C.) to be interconnected by audio/visual teleconferencing in real time, using pre-configured hosting locations that are available for rental use. Many universities, as well as commercial providers, offer such a service.

2. A more structured nomination process that can accept nominations in advance instead of nomination from the floor at the AGM in person or in writing, which is the only current method made available within the bylaws. This will greatly expand opportunities for candidates from across B.C. to participate in the nomination and election process, hopefully allowing a more diverse regional representation on the board of directors.

3. Update the voting process within the bylaws to current day standards using all available technologies. Possible methods are outlined in section 74 of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Regulations, which should be similarly possible within the constraints of the B.C. Society Act. These federal regulations describe voting methods by each of proxy, mail-in ballot, and “telephonic, electronic or other communication facility in a manner that permits subsequent verification, and permits tallied votes to be presented to the corporation without it being possible for the corporation to identify how each member voted”. Not only would this help to break down the current geographical bias, but it would also enhance the ability of Cycling B.C. to respond more dynamically during each calendar year through an efficient method of special resolutions, versus the current status quo of waiting until the AGM or else scheduling a very cumbersome special general meeting mid-year.

4. Post minutes from all meetings of the board of directors and any official committees - where they exist - to the Cycling BC web site shortly following all such meetings. This will allow all members to observe and provide ongoing feedback concerning operations and planning.

Some of the items above have been discussed and proposed at previous AGMs, yet no improvements have been observed yet, and there are no plans to do so within proposed bylaw amendments at the upcoming AGM. Additional governance reforms above and beyond those described above may also be warranted as further progressive steps afterwards. Can we achieve success implementing all the above? How soon can it be put into motion? It will be necessary to wade into the process to learn what hurdles exist, if any, on the path to governance reform. However, putting it off is no longer an option. It’s time to try to bring this into reality to better reflect the interests of members across the province, within an organization that can gain the capacity to act and adapt in a more timely and responsive fashion.

Nov. 19, 2012, 11:08 a.m.

My professional association just changed our by-laws to permit e-voting or web based agm attendance.

I think the current model for content on the Cycling BC sites is too fractured - hard to know what other disciplines are doing. So many places to look at for information.

Having regular meetings in each district could be good too. Maybe in the fall to coordinate the next year plans.

Nov. 19, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

My professional association just changed our by-laws to permit e-voting or web based agm attendance.

Exactly. As a common example that many people will probably have interacted with themselves, MEC has had e-voting for board elections for some time now. The requirements to be able to verify/audit results, and yet still have those results only anonymous to the society (per the quoted federal regulations I quoted) is a bit of a trick, but nothing that can't be handled by some savvy IT folks, perhaps in conjunction with a contracted third party to manage the results.

I think the current model for content on the Cycling BC sites is too fractured - hard to know what other disciplines are doing. So many places to look at for information.

There's a huge amount of content that should be available on the web site, and I agree that the structure could use an overhaul, although it is not an area of professional expertise for me. Perhaps a few members with professional skills in web design could be convinced to participate on a new committee to give input over time and help keep the content from sprawling out of control? Cycling BC staff and possibly a contractor would be responsible for the actual work and updates, but a qualified committee of members could help keep their work on track.

Having regular meetings in each district could be good too. Maybe in the fall to coordinate the next year plans.

Ideally, no question about it. Within all these great plans and ideas it's likely some roadblocks will be encountered in terms of finite resources (people and expenses) that will prevent a complete wish list from being implemented, but every idea is worth running through to see if it's viable.

Nov. 19, 2012, 12:08 p.m.

The ABA does not train or certify coaches. CBC does, but they have chosen not to certify coaches in BC if they race at a BMXC track. Even if they hold a CBC membership, are willing to pay for the certification and race the CBC series.

If true this seems unreasonable.

Already done. We're calling it ABA here for transparancy reasons, but the Canadian branch of ABA is called BMX Canada.

Does the money sent to BMXCanada stay in canada? If not this will be the dilema CBC/CCA is trying to avoid.

Nov. 19, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

The coaching part is true.
The money for membership and a portion of race fees goes south, the rest stays with the individual track.

This is the point of concern for many and it's been argued for years. The CBC tracks are happy with their support and the BMXC tracks are happy with their support. They each think they are getting the best support…who is right? Both of course.

Getting them to work together is the hard part and the longer we go without communication, the more cemented the tracks become.

Nov. 19, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

I understand what Jeff means as I have the context, but I think it is easy to misinterpret the post about coaching.

The coaches that have been certified by Cycling BC and are employed as coaches at the four Cycling BC tracks are all riders that hold both ABA and CBC licenses and race in both sanctions. I believe that the issue is that Cycling BC was not willing to train coaches that would be coaching at the ABA tracks.
This is something that I disagree with personally, I think anyone that wants to get certified should be able to if they are willing to pay for it. I believe that there may also be a liability issue at play in here as the insurance does differ between the two sanctions.

The money that flows from the track to the sanction in either sanction is pretty small in the realm of things, too small for anyone to be very concerned with. The majority of the money changing hands is in the form of the individual registration fees paid directly to the sanction for the nationals series races. That is a tangible amount.