Cycling BC AGM - the state of racing in BC

Nov. 16, 2012, 11:33 a.m.

There are 4 positions coming up for election, these guys are going to run for each one. They are 2 year terms. The current board sits on their hands and lets Keith do anything he wants without repercussions. That will change if these guys get in.

Nov. 16, 2012, 11:34 a.m.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nov. 16, 2012, 11:48 a.m.

Isn't Langley BMX sanctioned by ABA, not Cycling BC?

Yes, there appears to be a lack of clarity regarding Jeff's position on BMX (ABA VS Cycling BC)…

He states: "Broaden the development program at non-Cycling BC tracks. This would include clarifying the qualification process and acknowledging riders at all the tracks for their potential."

I'm not deep in knowledge on BMX, so go ahead and ignore me, but from what I hear, there's been a long-running issue regarding BMX tracks affiliating with ABA vs cycling BC. "non-Cycling BC" to be probably means ABA.

Does it matter? I don't know, but those of you more into BMX might care.

Just what is Jeff's stance on this?

And…."Truth Will Set You Free"… who are you?

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:13 p.m.

Jeff is going to have to become a member here to post a reply himself. But, I’ll offer some insight

[HTML_REMOVED]Climbs up on soapbox, again[HTML_REMOVED]

Langley BMX is ABA Affiliated. ABA is now known in Canada as BMX Canada, but really, still the same thing, http://www.bmxcanada.ca/ . The ABA www.ababmx.ca is an American based BMX race organization that runs races in the US and in Canada. There are actually 12 ABA affiliated tracks in BC alone, with what look like two more to follow in 2013:

Langley
Kelowna
Kamloops
Penticton
Vernon
Victoria
Coal Hills
Qualicum
Grand Forks
Squamish
Nanaimo
Prince George

There are four Cycling BC BMX tracks in BC: North Van, Surrey, Abby, and Maple Ridge.

Let me firmly point out, all the CBC tracks are very well run with great volunteers. Very good people involved.

Many riders, those at least competing at the expert level, carry both ABA licenses and CBC licenses.

If you are to throw a rough number at it, likely 80% of all BMX racers in BC hold an ABA license, and of those likely ¾ hold ONLY ABA licenses.

The rift was here long before I got involved in the sport with my son. I hold both licenses. What has pretty much become the undisputed truth of the matter, is that the ABA runs better races, and with better competition- a big reason being that with the ABA affiliation, we draw a lot of fast US rider up here to race in the ABA National Series. You only have to look at the numbers: there are 7 ABA National Series Races in Canada every year, plus the Grand National Finals in Chilliwack on Thanksgiving. Every year, the actual National championship in Canada, run by Canadian Cycling / UCI, is heavily outdrawn by the basically every race in the Canadian ABA National Series. That in itself is damning, when parents and racers are “voting with their wallets”, per se, and choosing instead to have their kids race in the more competitive ABA Series than the actual Canadian Championships. The other damning evidence is in the CBC run BC Cup, which doesn’t see nearly the same ridership as the ABA Provincial Series.

What does CBC do well? A few things, actually. They have invested significantly in coaching, but only at the four CBC tracks. I like Adam Muys; he works hard, is present, and accountable to his athletes. Ken Cools will also do a fantastic job as the new Canadian BMX Coach. CBC has also invested in infrastructure, case in point: the Supercross Track at Abby, as well as all four CBC Tracks having paved corners.

One thing I need to point out: whenever this debate comes up, someone inevitably says, “But the ABA is American Run, and all your money goes to the states to support American riders!”. WRONG. Anyone trying to sell this falsehood is telling a bold face lie. As with any non-profit society, all the Canadian BMX tracks are incorporated as such. They have their own executive that is charged with the responsibility of running the club. The ABA basically provides insurance to run the races, and they run the race series’. They are, essentially, a supplier- albeit an exclusive supplier. It is the access to the huge network of ABA riders- including all the yanks- that make it so much more competitive. In fact, this year in an interview leading up to the Olympics, Tory Nyhaug stated that if it weren’t for all the exposure he received in being able to race in the South in the ABA, he would not have been able to develop the way he has. He stated it just isn’t realistic to get to the top without racing the best Americans. The best in the world race the American ABA Series. He wasn’t getting the level of competition he needed racing in Canada, so his parents invested in his career in sending him to the States to race. This is now the tried and true formula for all the up-and-coming BMXers in Canada.

I can tell you that at Langley, out of every $7.00 race fee on a district race night, only $1.00 goes to the ABA, and again, that is to cover overhead such as insurance, advertising, etc. Yes, they provide a significant amount of advertising, and web support. The rest of the money stays w/ the track, to run the tracks, and run races. It is actually a pretty darned good and easy to follow model if you are going to start a BMX track.

Keith Ryan has placed ABA riders and parents firmly in his crosshairs this season, and in fact pulled one parent’s membership when he started getting a bit too loud in asking some very relevant questions. Like me, he was a dual license holder. Since then, after much criticism, Keith has re-instated the membership, but the damage to the PR was done. His organization has threatened that they may implement “it’s our way or nothing”, in that they’d cancel any membership that is found to also hold ABA licenses. I. Kid. You. Not. They have since backed off on that, but seriously

The CBC has for all intents and purposes chosen to ignore most of the BMX racers in BC. We want to get access to the same coaching, and the same development programs as the families in the four CBC tracks. We see no reason why we shouldn’t. After all, most of the CBC families- at least the competitive ones- hold ABA licenses and race the ABA Series. Why? Because the competition is far higher. Their kids improve due to being able to race against all of our kids.

My opinion: why the wall? Why not find a way to use all the assets around you to improve the overall picture? Like it or not, the ABA is an asset to CBC, but they will never, ever admit that. The access to coaching is what many ABA tracks desperately desire, but the CBC will not grant coaching certification to expert level riders, or pros, from the ABA tracks. Yes, I can give names. They is a logical way to combine the two worlds, and improve the overall picture. Keith Ryan has been the main roadblock here, so the only way to progress is to get someone on the inside that wants to shake up the status quo, and build the organization using all the assets in front of them. I believe Jeff’s intentions are sincere his goals are all about improvement and development for ALL riders, and he’s got the mental fortitude to take on this massive task.

[HTML_REMOVED]climbs off soapbox, again[HTML_REMOVED]

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

I skimmed the website and didn't read it in full…

Are they starting an organization to compete against Cycling BC? Or are they stepping up to put their hats in the ring to run for positions at the AGM?

They are stepping up to put their hats in the ring to run for positions at the AGM.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

The CBC has for all intents and purposes chosen to ignore most of the BMX racers in BC. We want to get access to the same coaching, and the same development programs as the families in the four CBC tracks. We see no reason why we shouldn’t. After all, most of the CBC families- at least the competitive ones- hold ABA licenses and race the ABA Series. Why? Because the competition is far higher. Their kids improve due to being able to race against all of our kids.

To play devils advocate here…

When you are "voting with your wallet" and going with ABA instead of Cycling BC…why would they provide coaching to an ABA track?

disclaimer I don't know anything about BMX racing other than what I read on the internet.

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

If you have a sample of 100 riders, immediately eliminate 80 of them, then they to pick the best of the best out of those 20 to develope, are you really doing yourself a service in trying to develope the "best" riders?

If it is all about grassroots, why then would you ignore most of the riders at the grassroots level?

Basically, if riders were given an ultimatum- either ride CBC or ABA, but not both- they would pick ABA because that is where the competition is, and that is where they will develope the fastest. This is not my opinion, the proof is already there, and indisputable. You can not replace the competitive side with great coaching. Great coaching is redundant without the competition.

So…you tell me, why wouldn't they?

(Good question- I know you are playing DA)

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:38 p.m.

If you haven't seen this yet, please have a look: The Future of Cycling in British Columbia: http://thefutureofcyclinginbc.weebly.com/

but have met Matt through WCR, and haver seen what impact he can have with his energy and focus. Jeff is very much the same way: a straight shooter, calm, pasionate about BMX, and ready and able to take on the considerable task in front of him there.

Thanks for the props above Dude. I figured a new account name easily associated with me IRL was warranted for this purpose. If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Although my proposed nomination is for the CX side, I hope we'll see a board that is very involved in a cross-discipline fashion instead of all retreating to our own bunkers, creating a right hand / left hand situation with the overall operations and governance. Although I have no first hand experience with the BMX, I consider it a requirement to learn more so that - along with the rest of the board members - we can all lend a bit of support to each discipline of the sport. I met Jeff for the first time earlier this week, and in response to some pointed he gave a very compelling summary describing how the adversarial situation is keeping the BMX community from reaching the level of participation and success it could potentially have under a functional partnership arrangement.

As a general rule of thumb, I always start with the approach that there's more to be gained by working together than having sides tear each other down.

Nov. 16, 2012, 2:25 p.m.

Mike, the individual tracks paid for the paved corners, Cycling BC does not fund our track improvements.

Andy MacDonald

Nov. 16, 2012, 2:27 p.m.

Fair enough. Credit given where due, then.

Nov. 16, 2012, 2:29 p.m.

Jeff Clarke here…

I'll try and clear up my plan of attack, if I get elected.

First is the coaching for all tracks. I don't expect CBC to fund this on their own. There are multiple ways the BMX Canada can contribute to the development and coaching of riders, we just need to sit down and find the best solution.

Second is the selection process. CBC needs to recognize the results of the BMXC Provincial series when making their choices. We can't ignore these riders because of the track they choose to race at, they deserve a chance just like everyone else.

The Dude has given the quick version of the sanction debate. It's not something that will be solved overnight. Once I get to see where BMX money is generated and spent with CBC, I will have a better idea on what course to take. Topics that never get discussed like insurance rates, UCI affiliation, distribution of funds and office labour all need to be clarified. I will work with both sides and possibly find a solution.

Clear as mud?
Thanks,
Jeff

Nov. 16, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

Seems my first post was snagged for moderator approval as a new forum account, so it might get released and show up in this thread eventually.

Just wanted to make myself available for any Q[HTML_REMOVED]A (thanks Dude for the +nod in your earlier post)

Feel free to fire away with questions. I'll do my best to provide answers. Like JeffC, I have no official standing at this time and am only a candidate nominee, but I can tell you what's on my mind. More importantly isn't so much what's on my mind, but what's on the minds of the membership as a whole. I'd like to have a process where as many people as possible are consulted on key issues (modern tech is a wonderful thing) over time, and then given some insight afterward into how decisions were reached as a result. "Black box" management has no place in a membership run organization.

Nov. 16, 2012, 5:06 p.m.

Heckle? Pitchforks? previous AGM's poorly attended . Now the call to throw out everyone and bring in a new slate and throw out keith. Finances like i said earlier, check them out . CBC has never attracted more money from corporate donations and fedral municipal dollars ,due to the Olmpics.
All CBC bmx tracks have gotten great support ,ask the executives ,those who work and work for our kids. ( I just read the papers $400Million more going into "own the podium")
I don't know what happened with Kevin Macuish to say the unequal statements of payouts regarding women.
I am in favour of supporting women.
The races I have done though, we get 30/40 pro elite dhers and 3/4 women . In BMX and all cycling sports to my knowledge women classes have and continue to be thin?
I hope the women who over the years I have supported in Bear mtn challenge and BMX racing will confirm this. INdoor Women only clinics last year ,bringing in Jill Kintner and Kat Sweet.
Other girls clinics over the years.

BMX war, it's been going on for a long time , no matter how some will try to sanitize it,it's been ugly.
When Keith refused to hand over the CBC tracks to ABA ,this to me is just another tactic in the long war to assimalate CBC tracks. Like a shotgun wedding Kicking Keith out after his answer to the sanction issue will only be answered when there is a win win situation.
The ABA budget is most likely bigger than all Canadian cycling put together , BC BMX is like a mom and pops organization against a mighty giant.
As a person who has been on both sides. (for the record I don't hate the Americans ,and have a lot of love in my heart for all kids)
Founder and builder of Abbotsford BMX ,first president for years and years.
Founder of Abbotsford INdoor BMX .
The Olympic's have generated a want of top quality coaching. One of the top coach's of BMX will now live in Abbotsford Ken Cools. Google his name . His family John Cools sister Samantha Cools is most likely the reason BMX is in the Olympics. John always dreamed of it and worked towards this goal.
Big National cbc races are not well attended,sometimes I have seen riders in the stands watching instead of racing.
ABA races are,and those who want to be the best ,need to race against the best.
No question. But the ABA tracks which send the $1 per racer and I used to send another$25 per race to ABA sanctioning fee, want coaching without qualifying at National or BC Cup races.
The ABA makes money in BC they are a good business model ,at ABA National races the local host club ,gets a small percentage of the money(concession money ,a modest amount for riders )this may of changed ? When our cbc clubs do a big race we get support in money ,and government . Witness the $37500 last from BC goverment ,when Abb. hosted the Supercross this year. Abbotsford will be hosting next years SuperCross again.
EVERY sanction debate I have ever heard regarding ABA/CBC goes like this.
Let ABA run the bmx races and let the CBC run coaching.
Never has the conversation to my knowledge been merging all the tracks to CBC .
We will still race across the line at ABA Nationals,for the competition. A small nation like Canada ,just does not have the sheer numbers to put up big races over and over like the U.S.
Those who think the massive $$ support from the Fedral /Provincial would continue if our sanctioning was from the U.S. are deluding themselves. The ABA is not about to take a large share of their profits to put CDN cyclist into the Olympics.
Jeff since he has decided to come onto the Mtb nsmb board ,can tear this apart or see where the weak points of my arguements are.
I feel his position is like the Quebec arguement of the "Lobster once in the pot will cook"
He unless I have gotten this way wrong will be to put the CBC affilation into ABA tracks.
CBC BMX tracks can put atheletes into the Olympics, keep upping the money for coaching programs .
Dedicated people is the core , Adam Muys /The Abbotsford BMX group/Ridge/Action/NShore.
Michelle Landers (VP of AbbotsfordBMX ) is the cbc VP of BMX ,if you support CDN BMX with cbc ,please vote for her.
While I respect the Dude,I completely disagree with his anylsis of where we need to go.
LIke I said in my earlier post on this thread.
Those who are making the noise regarding bmx and representation , are not sanctioned with cbc but with the ABA. The CBC BMX tracks are well served and Keith has done a great job for us.
I know nothing of the road situation and like any family we can argue over differences.
What I fear the most is that CBC will be destroyed.
Road cyclists new power and numbers ,please remember ,at the end of the day we are all cyclists.
The bmx sanction issue is not going to be solved by force.
Destroy everything and all we will have is ash's.
Phone CBC and ask questions, ask Adam Muys to voice his opinion.
I have had more hate mail and ugly confrontations over this question ,but I believe in our CDN
sanctioning and support it openly.
Having said my piece ,I don't want this to degrade into ugliness . Mtbers will not be well served bringing this arguement here.
It would sure give me satisfaction on some of these flaming posts to man up and sign your name.
Gary

FVMBA Website

Nov. 16, 2012, 7:49 p.m.

Michelle Landers (VP of AbbotsfordBMX ) is the cbc VP of BMX ,if you support CDN BMX with cbc ,please vote for her.

This. While I don't know the ins and outs of the sanctioning issue…why would I vote someone onto the Cycling BC board who is from an ABA track? That doesn't seem right.

Nov. 16, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

From? He's a member at both an ABA track and a CBC track. Just like Michelle Landers is a member of both an ABA track (Langley) and a CBC track. She just happens to put her volunteer time in at Abby (CBC), while Jeff puts in his volunteer time at Langley (ABA). Both Michelle and Jeff are good, quality people.

Remember…80% of the BMX racers in BC hold ABA licenses. Right now, 80% are being ignored. You want to bring the two parties together because you want those kids all under the CBC development system. So, Tom, I'd encourage you to ask more questions, and seek answers to the situation if indeed you are attending and have a vote.

Listen, for me, this is about progression, which is why I'm voting for Jeff. It is about creating a model where we (BMX) use all the assets available to us to create the best platform for development. Taking advantage of the better series, and the better competition from that series, as well as enhancing the assets already in place w/ Cycling BC.

Gary [HTML_REMOVED] I have had this chat before, and he's right- there is mutual respect there, and we agree to disagree on this one issue. Just like I have a boatload of respect for Michelle, Andy, and anyone who has put in significant of time giving back to BMX. Just because you are from one sanction or another doesn't mean you are good or evil. In fact, all parties involved here are really good people, all trying to do the same thing- progress the sport. We just have different ideas.

To outright disregard the ABA as a key component of development in Canada is shortsighted, and quite frankly foolish. It is a proven series out here that has done nothing but progress and improve in the years I've been in BMX, while the CBC Series(s) have floundered. The argument that the ABA takes Canadian money and sends it all south is complete bullshit (pardon the french), and to use that argument against Jeff it using lies against Jeff. Seek the facts.

Gary, the only key argument I'll make against you post is this: the reason why there is no movement to change all the tracks to CBC tracks is because the ABA tracks are happy w/ the product, and see the results. Kicking the ABA out of Canada, at this point, would be a significant step back in BMX. Most people in the sport know that and acknowledge it. As for Keith, he may have been doing a wonderful job for the four tracks that are CBC affiliated, but he’s been doing a piss poor job for the rest of the tracks that are not. More succinctly, he’s been ignoring a strong BMX membership, and hundreds of kids racing bikes. You say he’s doing a great job? Honestly? When you choose to ignore the majority of the racers in the province due to petty affiliation issues, you are doing a piss poor job. Not to mention some of the bullying that has gone on, sorry Gary, but this guy has to go.

Once again Gary, I love the debate, and in doing so I try not to lose focus on what is actually important, and that is that there are a lot of good people out here that care a great deal about the future of BMX in BC. I respect all those folks, including you, Adam, Michelle, Andy, and Jeff Clarke. Let’s make sure we keep everything in perspective.

~Mike Meade.