Cardiac Classic XC returns to Burnaby Mountain Sunday August 10th

July 20, 2014, 9:52 p.m.

Enduro may be taking over the world but XC is not dead. No it is alive and well and thriving when you put together a loop like we have on Burnaby Mountain. This year we are proud to play host to the 2014 Provincial XC mtb Championships on behalf of Cycling BC. We are bringing you this event in partnership with the fine folks at Mighty Riders

Registration is open and at westcoastcycling.ca/cardiac

A few changes can be expected for 2014

• Improved start: We will be starting with a bit more climbing than in 2013 on the start loops to spread riders out, but don't worry there will be lots of climbing once we hit the trails allowing lots of passing opportunity.
  • Complimentary single day licenses: Don't have a Cycling BC license? The organizers are covering the cost of single day licenses to entice riders to get into the sport of XC mtb racing
  • Lots of Categories to choose from including the Provincial XC championship categories
  • Awesome new Complimentary kids race venue: Jay Hoots is building a pump track at UniverCity and we will have exclusive access to it for our event
  • Hosting provincial championships on behalf of Cycling BC

What you can expect to continue from 2013?

• Complimentary Nesters Market BBQ
  • Awesome mountain bike course that will challenge all levels and abilities. Trails will include Nicoles, Mels, Cardiac hill, Dead Moped.
  • Awesome prizing courtesy of RaceFace, Cycles Lambert

Hope you can make it.

Please forward to your friends and riding buddies.

http://www.westcoastcycling.ca

July 20, 2014, 10:04 p.m.

Yes!

July 20, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

Sunday, August 10th, BTW.

July 27, 2014, 11 p.m.

Hey Tom, hope you can make it this year!

July 28, 2014, 9:55 a.m.

Rode it on Saturday and will do it again today… Burnaby Mountain is my home course, but this route is not one I usually take so it's definitely fun and a challenging lap! I think technical climbers will have an advantage on the traverse across Mel's and going up the North Road trail for sure. Also, being able to fly through Dead Moped and Ben [HTML_REMOVED] Jerry's will help too! Nicole's also has some recent trailwork which should allow folks to fly down along the pole (or on it if they choose!). Poplar and Lower Snake are always fun, and having Cardiac Hill at the end is a challenge too! I didn't even miss the Gearjammer descent from last year. I hope to be back from my trip in time to join the race again!

BTW, I like this comment… not sure if this was a typo. Don't forget the descents! =P

_ "We will be starting with a bit more CLIMBING but don't worry there will be lots of CLIMBING once we hit the trails."_

Looks like we're starting with about 2km/-250m of descending followed by 3km/210m of climbing. Then we lose 100m descending along the Powerline Trail before heading back into the woods towards Jim's Jungle.

July 29, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

yeah, last time i raced cardiac (a couple decades ago i think), i seem to recall it was uphill both ways. that's how it was in the olden days.

July 29, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

Just working on some final negotiations with the wife but I am most likely racing and bringing a few friends with me. Challenging for DFL in the 3 lap category.

July 30, 2014, 11:09 p.m.

wicked to hear Tom. best of luck in the negotiations!

July 30, 2014, 11:12 p.m.

Rode it on Saturday and will do it again today… Burnaby Mountain is my home course, but this route is not one I usually take so it's definitely fun and a challenging lap! I think technical climbers will have an advantage on the traverse across Mel's and going up the North Road trail for sure. Also, being able to fly through Dead Moped and Ben [HTML_REMOVED] Jerry's will help too! Nicole's also has some recent trailwork which should allow folks to fly down along the pole (or on it if they choose!). Poplar and Lower Snake are always fun, and having Cardiac Hill at the end is a challenge too! I didn't even miss the Gearjammer descent from last year. I hope to be back from my trip in time to join the race again!

BTW, I like this comment… not sure if this was a typo. Don't forget the descents! =P

_ "We will be starting with a bit more CLIMBING but don't worry there will be lots of CLIMBING once we hit the trails."_

Looks like we're starting with about 2km/-250m of descending followed by 3km/210m of climbing. Then we lose 100m descending along the Powerline Trail before heading back into the woods towards Jim's Jungle.

ya, it is a great loop and the trails are riding really fast. BMBA has done some awesome work on Nicoles and I really don't think GJ and Upper cut will be missed. You can really fly along Mels west to east. Even though we start with some descending it is a long race and there will be plenty of climbing. I believe the #'s are close to 700m per approx. 13km lap.

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

I was walking my dog on the trails monday and there were quite a few gel and shot block wrappers left on the trails maybe you could go pick those up. Thanks in advance :)

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

I think my legs have finally stopped cramping…thanks to everyone who made it happen.

PS 1x10 sucks for xc racing…I was totally spun out on the road sections at the top and had to do the walk of shame up cardiac 3 times

Aug. 13, 2014, 5:52 a.m.

I think my legs have finally stopped cramping…thanks to everyone who made it happen.

PS 1x10 sucks for xc racing…I was totally spun out on the road sections at the top and had to do the walk of shame up cardiac 3 times

ouch! That doesn't sound like fun. Bailout gear for the WIN?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 13, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

I was walking my dog on the trails monday and there were quite a few gel and shot block wrappers left on the trails maybe you could go pick those up. Thanks in advance :)

thanks for letting us know.

Aug. 13, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

Glad you made it out Tom and toughed out the epic 3 laps. Nice work finishing! Lots of people were in survival mode out there with hot temperatures and a tough course. Maybe we should make it easier??

Aug. 14, 2014, 7:29 a.m.

No way! I just need to get more fit ;)