Carbon Handel Bars a safe idea for DownHill Racing

Nov. 11, 2007, 8:45 p.m.

I was thinking of getting a Easton Monkey Lite DH Bar for my downhill bike. I was wondering if anybody had goor or bad experiences with them or any other Carbon Bar.

Nov. 12, 2007, 11:34 a.m.

well at the top of the garbonzo dh this year when i was waiting to do my run this kid on a sunday who happened to have carbon bars pushed out of the gate and within 10 feet his bars snapped in two, he was fortunate for it not to happen later on but woulda sucked to spend 50 bucks on a race and have no shot at racing

Nov. 12, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

why would you want to run a carbon bar on anything that has the potential of facial surgery?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 12, 2007, 12:32 p.m.

why would you want to run a carbon bar on anything that has the potential of facial surgery?

well put ^^

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

Nov. 12, 2007, 9:54 p.m.

well at the top of the garbonzo dh this year when i was waiting to do my run this kid on a sunday who happened to have carbon bars pushed out of the gate and within 10 feet his bars snapped in two, he was fortunate for it not to happen later on but woulda sucked to spend 50 bucks on a race and have no shot at racing

he was pinned in practice too. I bet he woulda won.

Nov. 14, 2007, 11:49 a.m.

i run a carbon bar for XC and all mountain riding. i also ran (past tense) one on my DH bike a few years ago to get a low rise.

if you replace it often, read every time it gets a scratch they are stronger than alloy. the problem with carbon is that is doesn't fail "a little" it completely shears and you are left with nothing to hang on to a pungy stick on your bike.

check out the WC pros. they are all seriously worried about weight and still run alloy bars. probably a good indicator that it's NOT such a good idea.

g

Nov. 15, 2007, 4:22 p.m.

best thing to do is run a light alloy bar (easton EA70, Funn Fat boy, Sunline V-one OS)

Nov. 16, 2007, 2:16 p.m.

if you replace it often, read every time it gets a scratch they are stronger than alloy. the problem with carbon is that is doesn't fail "a little" it completely shears and you are left with nothing to hang on to a pungy stick on your bikeg

You got it Gary!

If you keep the DH rig rubber side down all the time you'll have no problems. However 1) If you crash all bets are off and you won't know if it's damaged until it fails. 2) If you aren't crashing you aint "DH racing".

:canada:
My outdated bio, results, pictures and blog are here:
http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/MtbBryon

"Champions expect pain, endure pain & never complain." -Unknown Source.

Nov. 23, 2007, 3:52 p.m.

I've ran the Easton EC70 Monkey Light DH Carbon bars for the last 3 years on different bikes… The are hella light but have some flex compared to an alloy bar.

From my experience I've had to warranty the bars at least once a season because they either crack or buldge if you are riding aggressively. If you do decide to get the Carbon eastons, I would suggest the O.S. version, as they have lasted the longest… Just make sure your shop is willing to warranty stuff if they dont work out.

MITCH

www.painincorporated.com