Canada cup joke

Aug. 3, 2005, 8:33 a.m.

Speaking of silly UCI rules, I was told that in cyclo-cross racing, you are not allowed to wear knee warmers if it's above 4 degrees celcius.

at the Brockton Crit in June they made all the categories race in shorts and jerseys in the pissing rain. nothing else. I was wearing knickers and had to roll them up past my knees. probably the stupidest ruling for no reason considering watching Paris-roubaix etc. and seeing the pros wearing what ever they want.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 3, 2005, 9:13 a.m.

i'd like to point out to everyone listening out there.

not only did Fionn not win, she got whooped, (10 seconds) by a 16 year old girl and actually finished the race second to last.
if i was a former world cup winner, i wouldn't be protesting, i'd be hiding my head in shame.

this protest is not out out character for her, she protested her results at the last CC event when danika handed her ass to her.

as for the UCI, they told Danika that they had no issue with the jersey and would only enforce the rule IF there was a protest. they are there to enforce the rules, and that's what they did. i can tell you for sure no one was happy about the decision.

the views expressed above are those of the writer and not those of his organization.

Aug. 3, 2005, 9:28 a.m.

GRJ that makes it even more weak on Fionn's part. Norco should cover the fine and send Fionn packing. end of story.

Aug. 3, 2005, 9:49 a.m.

Alex lag you are comparing cheating to a stupid rule Danika does not go any faster in her team jersey than she does in the leaders jersey. I agree it was stupid to forget the jersey but she has done it befor with no DQ. If the guy that did not move out of your way simply wooped your ass but was wearing a fox jersey would you be as upset. The rules say no compony logos if you are not affiliated to them. There are rules and then there are rules. If somone cuts the course BAD (shit happens,most people off course are losing time) i might protest, but if they kick my ass after crashing hard and pinning it with one shoe i would celebrate there victory with them no matter what they were wearing.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Aug. 3, 2005, 10:16 a.m.

I should add that Danika beat Fionne at the last canada cup by 11 sec. and Fionne filed a protest saying there was a timing error. She said there was no way Danika could beat her by that much(she lost the protest). Fionne stop protesting start training and try to win by posting a faster time, thats how you win in Canada.

Aug. 3, 2005, 11:51 a.m.

I agree it was stupid to forget the jersey but she has done it befor with no DQ.

So she knew the rule from past experience and yet forgot it again?

All I am saying is, if you want to play the game you better know the rules.

:mexico: :canada:

Aug. 3, 2005, 12:08 p.m.

Alex lag are you in love with Fionne. There was not even the slightest sign of there ever being an issue about not wearing the jersey at her last race. So ya she knew from past experiance that it was not a big deal. The last time she forgott her jersey second place shook her hand and was stoked to be racing a world class athlete at a Canada cup. Mistakes happen she Knew 20 min befor leaving to Fernie that she was going as her ride bailed on her last min. Ps i dont believe your i caught a rider and i could have won story,sounds like a sorry excuse to me. Step it up race more and move up a cat. and it wont be an issue.

Aug. 3, 2005, 12:36 p.m.

I'll help with the fines if it turns out that D really has to pay to keep racing.

I just wish that we could put the money right back into the purse for the next race. Let them fight it out on the bikes for it.

37 YEARS ON THE BIKE :: 1981-2018

Aug. 3, 2005, 12:45 p.m.

I'll help with the fines if it turns out that D really has to pay to keep racing.

I just wish that we could put the money right back into the purse for the next race. Let them fight it out on the bikes for it.

If she gets fined, there should be a pool. I'll certainly cough up a couple bucks.

Danika beat Fionne already in a specific race, there should be no re-match. Sure, there should be plenty more races!

Does anybody know what the total prize purse was for Fernie? It wouldn't surprize me if it was less than the $2500 fine that Danika faces.

Aug. 3, 2005, 12:55 p.m.

Lets hope this whole fiasco stirs up some more support/sponsorship for Danika so she gets the full race/expense support she deserves.

(My comments are not intended to belittle Danikas existing sponsors!!)

Apparently Danika isn't going to race the world champs in Livigino this year because CCA pulled funding from DH in favor of other Olympic programs?

If Danika (with one shoe) is able to trounce a pro factory rider that has a world cup win under her belt, should she not get the full pro/factory rider treatment??

Existing/Potential sponsors, sit up and take notice!

Aug. 3, 2005, 4:07 p.m.

Lets see who beats who this week at Crankworx, saw Fionne and her giant helmet, haven't seen Danika yet but hope she turns up….

mtbskierdad

Aug. 3, 2005, 8:41 p.m.

hey guys. Just to sorta clear things up, i'm quite sure the fine is substantualy less then 2500 bucks. were talking more like 200. still big time rip off when u think that shes gone all the way out there just to LOSE money.

Aug. 3, 2005, 9:01 p.m.

Hey when you kick someone's ass by that much on 3-4 minute course with speeds in the 60-80 kph range, and you do it with one shoe on for a quarter of the course, hell, they should pay you $2500. And you should get to do what Smoke said. Hope she's there at Crankworx. Thought I overheard her say she was planning on it.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Aug. 3, 2005, 9:01 p.m.

Copied from section 1.3.072 part 4 of the CCA PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS
http://www.canadian-cycling.com/English/information/rules/2005%20Part%201%20General%20Regs%20-RevisedArial%20pdf.pdf

4. Rider not wearing:
[snip]
- National Champion's jersey: team: 1,250 to 2,500 and start of the rider concerned not permitted

That may not be the actual rule that applies, I'm no expert, I just got my google on…

Aug. 3, 2005, 10:40 p.m.

So the rule states the TEAM gets fined and the racer is not aloowed to start the race, therefore the UCI official who said she could race screwed up….

mtbskierdad