Bear Mountain racing 2007!!

Feb. 10, 2007, 9:18 a.m.

"dh end- will be changed,the goal is for the race to END at millpond"

Does that mean a new piece of trail will be cut in?

Feb. 12, 2007, 4:49 p.m.

May 26/27th date looks best.
Long way away yet,so give a little time here.
g

FVMBA Website

Feb. 14, 2007, 2:24 a.m.

This year……I will not eat the gaps, I will not eat the gaps,I will not eat the gaps, I will not eat the gaps.

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

Feb. 28, 2007, 12:27 a.m.

I hate to recommend this as it may be a suitable idea for another future venue but one viable solution is to move the event or at least approach other cities or park boards about the idea. Chilliwack and Coquitlam have options and there was that race out out in Maple Ridge last year. It'd keep transportation costs down as one thing I always remembered about racing at Bear was the drive out and the concussed drive home. With cheaper gas no less.

That was a bit of ramble but also, why not just approach NSMB and see if Bear can join the Ripper Series if it needs cash to get it going? It'd be asking a lot of course, but just a crazy idear.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 28, 2007, 7:02 a.m.

It'd keep transportation costs down

It only takes me 15 minutes to get there. ;)

There's definitely enough interest that it will succeed as a local race.

Feb. 28, 2007, 7:25 a.m.

Coquitlam have options.

Where in Coquitlam?

Feb. 28, 2007, 7:31 a.m.

That was a bit of ramble but also, why not just approach NSMB and see if Bear can join the Ripper Series if it needs cash to get it going? It'd be asking a lot of course, but just a crazy idear.

they declined:

oh wait; they didn't even bother responding to the request.

Feb. 28, 2007, 4:26 p.m.

Bear race meeting

Wed, evening Mar7th at Wentings cycle shop Mission
6-7:45 another meeting as we figure out the final questions .
Sanctioning /exact format DH/ XC/
Who will put their hand up and volunteer ?
Here's what it looks like
xc sat may 26 expect a mass start.
Everyone wants it cheap,fun and low key, and
to continue.
Want input this is it.
G
[email protected]

FVMBA Website

Feb. 28, 2007, 4:49 p.m.

how much did the race cost to enter in previous years?

March 7, 2007, 10 p.m.

Thanks to everyone who came out to the meeting tonight.

The race organizing committee (for lack of a better word) has tentatively decided to go with Cycling BC sanctioning for this years race. We feel it is easier for us to use them at this point, so we will go with that. So you will need a Cycling BC race license, or you will need a one-event license (edit not sure of cost).

The race entry fee will be cheaper than last year.

Shuttles - too expensive (last years entry fee was $40 + $15 for shuttles = $55 total) There edit might not be any practice shuttles.

Stay tuned for more details as they are figured out…

March 8, 2007, 7:08 a.m.

No shuttles for a dh eh. Oh are you still planning on adding that 45+ seconds of climbing onto the end of the course. Just curious but have you even talked to local residents or are you relying on the goodwill of neighbours. Just a few things i'm interested in.

Disclaimer. Anything written above this should not be taken literally, its called sarcasm you idiots.

March 8, 2007, 8:23 a.m.

Has opening it up to volunteer shuttle drivers(guys/girls with big trucks)been discussed at all?

ESC 4 Life.

I create feelings in people that they themselves don't understand.

"Perhaps it was the Noid who should have avoided me." - Mayor West

March 8, 2007, 9:31 a.m.

so is the new finish line going to end on that uphill? that would be painful

March 8, 2007, 9:41 a.m.

There's still lot of work to do.
Bear end ,the goal is to end at millpond,but that doesn't mean we will be looking to see riders pushing their bike up to get there.
One possibly two bridges ,will need to be made . (this will not affect the main line as it now stands.)
Yes I have already started the process asking M. for permission.
If it doesn't work ,then we will end in the hole as always.
neighbours- we had to figure out if enough people even cared enough to do the race.
So I will be going to rod and gun club ,Lafarge,letter to the district asking permission to hold the race.
Shuttles are being looked at and we are trying to figure it out.
Renting cube vans and loading up as many riders and bikes is dangerous.
Just because it's the way it's been doesn't mean it will continue.
Think of yesterdays accident abby 17people in a small van,with wooden seats.
Millpond at times can be hectic , we will be trying to figure out a floorplan ,so things like ambulances can get in if need be.
It's looking like we will solve this a certain amount be attempting to restrict the pickup of riders from millpond. Instead making riders ride down to a lower p/u point .
Local riders will be hitting Bear/red as always in numbers in the weeks before,so sunday will mean very little preruns ,unless you get up early.
xc may 26 sat. noon- mass start, route tba and flagged,so riders will be able to preride.
dh 27sun not set in stone but Schoolboy class cheap$ to start at the rock
10:30 -12 noon dh race starts -the race will be capped on numbers.
Those who have concerns,get on board, help out.
Bear has always had a weakness and that's been shuttles,getting riders to the top over and over.The skinny road will not handle the numbers.
pm me if you want but those who make demands ,and are too busy….
Good ideas great,we all want it pro as possible,that's why I have signed on to help out. No pay, but no abuse.
We will be looking hard at camping,and maybe some light entertainment,like a bonfire and cookout ?
Fun stuff ,things like that can make the weekend an event.
g

FVMBA Website

March 8, 2007, 6:18 p.m.

If you would like to have input…you need to show up at the meetings and discuss it. The two meetings that have taken place at Wentings' so far were both "advertised" on this board in advance.

I can understand that there are people who want the race to be exactly how it was when Cory was putting it on…but those people haven't stepped up and said "I'll do it." As far as I know, no one else is even talking about putting on a race…so it would seem it is this or nothing.

PS I love the work you have been doing on the course so far Ewan!