Bear Mountain Challenge 2010

July 6, 2010, 8:09 p.m.

I think the local "Pro" (I hate that word) classes in mtb racing is a bit of a joke to be honest. Not taking anything away from the talent because there are a lot of talented riders, but it seems to be too easy to get into the "Pro" class. If you race for long enough you'll probably make it into the elite class. I"m a mediocre rider and it took me 3 seasons to make into that class. That shouldn't be.

Maybe its just mtb racing though. The other two sports I'm into - moto racing and skateboarding - to make it to the Pro level takes a huge commitment and many years to even hope to get anywhere near there.

I always said there should be a semi-pro/elite class and a separate pro class.

man you talk more than Cory…

at least he shows up.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 6, 2010, 8:19 p.m.

I don't race anymore so I can't have an opinion? That's a steamy pile of shit.

July 6, 2010, 8:51 p.m.

Thanks to all the positive comments,and remember those of us who have chosen to keep Bear Mtn Challenge going is a small group.
Months of planning, everyone of us begging our friends to volunteer,our families all stepped up and helped. The planning is useless if we don't get enough help.
We go on faith and a love of this sport, no matter what the Bear back road is small and narrow and the road with all those vehicles ,makes things slow down.
What we could control we did, look at how all the loaders and unloaders worked non stop all day. We started the shuttles early and went as late as we could.
The race again started on time and ended on time ,straight into the awards.
We made extra awards for the parents and any racer who wanted a memento we gave out free. Handed out free chocolate milk in the lineup, smiled non stop.
Raised a lot of swag to giveaway and kept nothing for ourselves.
Took time off work and rose up so early to get there to make sure everything was getting done. Everyone of us could hardly go to work tuesday(sunday night we did cleanup of the site and monday took back all the rental gear and cones etc..)
All ready a list is being made to try and get everything right ,like we now know a extra 20 shuttle bus and 1ton van can handle the top and bottom.
No matter how hard we work ,if we don't get enough volunteers ,it doesn't matter,
but I tell you " it was all worth it"
To all the volunteers and racers who had a good time thank you.
Logistically those who have never put on a race ,just don't have a clue ,I doubt if there are many who will step up and shoulder the stress.
The whole Bear race committee are riders who can now get back to riding.
Months of work finally done, don't make us feel bad ,we can handle constructive criticism.
Personally I feel we all did a great job and are proud to see the Bear Race continue.
Thanks again to all the smiles, and thank you's.
Gary

FVMBA Website

July 7, 2010, 6:55 a.m.

Thanks to all the positive comments,and remember those of us who have chosen to keep Bear Mtn Challenge going is a small group.
Months of planning, everyone of us begging our friends to volunteer,our families all stepped up and helped. The planning is useless if we don't get enough help.
We go on faith and a love of this sport, no matter what the Bear back road is small and narrow and the road with all those vehicles ,makes things slow down.
What we could control we did, look at how all the loaders and unloaders worked non stop all day. We started the shuttles early and went as late as we could.
The race again started on time and ended on time ,straight into the awards.
We made extra awards for the parents and any racer who wanted a memento we gave out free. Handed out free chocolate milk in the lineup, smiled non stop.
Raised a lot of swag to giveaway and kept nothing for ourselves.
Took time off work and rose up so early to get there to make sure everything was getting done. Everyone of us could hardly go to work tuesday(sunday night we did cleanup of the site and monday took back all the rental gear and cones etc..)
All ready a list is being made to try and get everything right ,like we now know a extra 20 shuttle bus and 1ton van can handle the top and bottom.
No matter how hard we work ,if we don't get enough volunteers ,it doesn't matter,
but I tell you " it was all worth it"
To all the volunteers and racers who had a good time thank you.
Logistically those who have never put on a race ,just don't have a clue ,I doubt if there are many who will step up and shoulder the stress.
The whole Bear race committee are riders who can now get back to riding.
Months of work finally done, don't make us feel bad ,we can handle constructive criticism.
Personally I feel we all did a great job and are proud to see the Bear Race continue.
Thanks again to all the smiles, and thank you's.
Gary

I have heard this from so many race organizers.

I am out of the racing game but I will say thanks to your team for keeping the race scene alive!

July 7, 2010, 9:17 a.m.

I think every racer should put in time to see how much work goes into putting on a race. lol….. especially at Sun Peaks.

July 7, 2010, 10:46 a.m.

i agree, should be a part of your licence to volunteer for an event or pay up an extra $100?

I beleive cbc clubs must have a commissaire registered, correct?

Same issue with officials, not enough of them. Those we do have have been at it for a looong time, right Wally?!

July 7, 2010, 11:27 a.m.

I really enjoyed working with Wally.

July 7, 2010, 12:26 p.m.

Wally is the best.

July 9, 2010, 8 a.m.

correction, wally's hat is the best. ;)

what I don't get is people whining when the course is in mission and there was a statutory holiday the thursday before. man up and hike some laps. I realize that if you're coming from the interior it may not be feasible, but from the lower mainland?

Check my stuff for sale!

July 9, 2010, 4:21 p.m.

^ exactly, I came out from the coq and rode the saturday and monday before. nice and quiet with plenty of time to stop and session tricky (for me) areas.

July 9, 2010, 5:25 p.m.

Me and Trevor only got one practise run late saturday night

July 9, 2010, 6:03 p.m.

even people who have the key, man up and hike the course…

July 9, 2010, 7:31 p.m.

I would bet that at least 50% of the field has raced at Bear in the past, there is usually not that much changed every year, I can go over that course in my head a thousand time now, should be easy peezy with only a few practice laps…..

mtbskierdad

July 9, 2010, 7:58 p.m.

Me and Trevor only got one practise run late saturday night

and props to you and Trev for loading and unloading all those bikes both days. Hat is off to you! Thank you sir.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

July 9, 2010, 8:21 p.m.

and props to you and Trev for loading and unloading all those bikes both days. Hat is off to you! Thank you sir.

I am glad that you and Denise had a chance to relax and race