Bear Mountain Challenge 2010

July 5, 2010, 2:57 p.m.

I would assume there were quite a few people hiking up JR. I saw at least 3 groups arriving from there when I got off the shuttle. I don't recall lineups at the top on Saturday. We could go when we wanted as lots rode in groups.

Sunday practice, we were on the second shuttle and by the time we were to get on for a second lap it was after 10:00 and getting to close to D's starting time to risk it.

Well done this weekend Steve.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

July 5, 2010, 3:13 p.m.

Race was awesome, but the shuttle system needed some beefing up. I arrived 1.5 hours ahead of the last practice run and still missed the last bus up. 10-15 minutes of that were eaten up checking tires and getting geared up, but most of it was just waiting in the line that started well past the bridge just to be told I couldn't warm up.

That said, I thought EVERY other aspect of the event was top notch (not including my own performance).

iforonewelcome.com

July 5, 2010, 6:01 p.m.

Ewan definitely had the right line choice there.

This was pretty funny
https://vimeo.com/13090014

July 5, 2010, 6:09 p.m.

anyone know who was taking pictures @ the stepdown up top?

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

July 5, 2010, 7:45 p.m.

constructive criticism.
A garbage can at the top of the hill would have been nice, as would have a water station. Either one could have cut down on the time vollies would need to pick up garbage after the race. I knew water wasn't available at the top and had to ask the marshall if i could leave my empty water bottle with him. He was cool with it, but it seems a lot of people just left stuff everywhere.

July 5, 2010, 8:01 p.m.

There are no upgrades in Citizen, that's why it is Citizen. He would need to purchase a license like the rest of us. Once he purchases a license then he should be able to upgrade to Pro/Elite.

but if you only race once or twice a year it makes it hard to fork out 130 bones

there should be a pro/elite day license

July 5, 2010, 8:09 p.m.

but if you only race once or twice a year it makes it hard to fork out 130 bones

Petition the CCA and try to make it happen. I have found that sometimes all things need is for someone to do something, like talk to the right people. Take the initiative and start it.

Make a report, show how to track who races when, what type of events, and so on. Come up with a system that might work and submit it with a petition, who knows, there is no harm in trying.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

July 5, 2010, 8:10 p.m.

^^ for sure.

riders should race their proper class and if they don't have a license they just don't qualify for championship points.

this would allow the actual classes to grow and eventually be turned into an A and B class. Cat 1, Cat 2, whatever.

Simple effective and proven in so many sports.

Please I have been asking for this since I started racing MTBs.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

July 5, 2010, 8:14 p.m.

you have to earn your Pro status, how do you prove to a commisare that you are that fast? in expert in order to move up you need so many points, then in at least one race of the BC Cup you must beat 75% of the Pro field in order to move up. I once had enough points but I did not have a fast enough time in any race to advance. Them's the rules…..

mtbskierdad

July 5, 2010, 8:46 p.m.

Hey Everyone,

I took almost 1000 pictures this Saturday and Sunday at the Bear Mountain Challenge.

All the photos will be available for Viewing __HERE__

Email me at [email protected] for purchase info as well.

July 5, 2010, 8:53 p.m.

I think there are enough guys that are at the in between stage that we need a category before elite. back to sport - expert- pro. or even throw a semi pro in there.

It must be very discouraging for someone to start racing in any category, racing against guys that would be in the expert class. you need to feel competitive to have the drive to continue. constantly finishing 20 sec. back doesn't help.

July 5, 2010, 9 p.m.

your math is off check the other thread.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

July 6, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

I was just reading some comments on Pinkbike about the shuttles and I know the same sentiment has been expressed on this board. I would like to throw in my 2 cents. Saturday I finally strolled into line around the 3rd shuttle up the mountain, had a super slow scoping run, took a breakfast and mechanical break, did some more shuttles, and sat around from 2pm onwards. I could have easily put in 6 laps if I showed up for first shuttle and kept going til the end. How can anyone consider that bad? Same idea for Sunday… if I had been on the first shuttle instead of the one I did make, I could have easily had 2 laps. Because I wasn't concerned about this, I wasn't in a rush to show up. Even still, though, I could have squeezed in a 2nd one. Come on, people. Given the restrictions of the road and organizing for a number of people that isn't completely defined; and racers knowing that this is an issue and could just show up early to make the best of it; I think everything was great!!

July 6, 2010, 8:06 p.m.

I was on the first shuttle both days. sat around at the top both days for 15ish minutes (at least it seemed like it) waiting before we were allowed to ride.

I had really limited time avail on Sat and barely got 2 in b4 10:30 when I had to leave. Same on Sun. I would have liked to have seen some more time on Sun, but whatever.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 6, 2010, 8:07 p.m.

I think the local "Pro" (I hate that word) classes in mtb racing is a bit of a joke to be honest. Not taking anything away from the talent because there are a lot of talented riders, but it seems to be too easy to get into the "Pro" class. If you race for long enough you'll probably make it into the elite class. I"m a mediocre rider and it took me 3 seasons to make into that class. That shouldn't be.

Maybe its just mtb racing though. The other two sports I'm into - moto racing and skateboarding - to make it to the Pro level takes a huge commitment and many years to even hope to get anywhere near there.

I always said there should be a semi-pro/elite class and a separate pro class.