BC Enduro Series

May 12, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

Taping shouldn't be necessary, defined trail and all…

7.1: Course cutting

Taking short cuts on course in order to gain an advantage can both damage the environment and brings the sport and spirit of enduro mountain biking racing into disrepute. Therefore, any rider trying to save time by choosing a line that lies outside of the defined trail will be disqualified.

The race organiser may choose, in exceptional circumstances, to apply a time penalty, not a DSQ to a rider found to have cut the course without intention. However, any rider leaving the obvious line must be aware that they risk a DSQ.

I feel extremely strongly that we as riders and racers really need to get serious about this. Racers really need to buck up and start accepting some responsibility and commit to cleaner riding, regardless of course tape. The cool thing about enduro events is that they typically use public trails, and we need to show those trails the respect they deserve, and that means not riding off trail to braid or cut corners. If you want to get super creative with your lines, enter a downhill race on a track taped with that in mind, please, but shit like this can and will affect a communities willingness to accept these events on their trails, and in certain places already is.

May 12, 2015, 6:11 p.m.

I dunno, maybe i'm just looking for something to complain about, but that post is not there for fun, and that is not the trail line.

https://igcdn-videos-c-18-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t50.2886-16/11244303_1600112856941338_1971378692_n.mp4

You're not wrong about Barelli going around that post. Clearly off the defined trail, advantageous, and contrary to the rule that Flip posted. I'm not sure anyone else, even Craig, did any course cutting though…

Ride, don't slide.

May 12, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

I think that's pretty minor. I don't think anyone would get dq'd for that. It would be different if he was cutting a straight line through a switchback or corner. He's just setting himself up for better entrance speed.

May 12, 2015, 10:22 p.m.

Just hiked Asian Adonis, No real issues after the event!

We did some general maintenance ie - added dirt.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.855993857769812[HTML_REMOVED]type=1

I just have to say again, Ewan is a great trail builder!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

May 13, 2015, 8:54 a.m.

I think that's pretty minor. I don't think anyone would get dq'd for that. It would be different if he was cutting a straight line through a switchback or corner. He's just setting himself up for better entrance speed.

If everyone in the race did that in that corner it would have two lines or would have doubled in width.

I agree with Flip.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 13, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

I agree to an extent, but sometimes it's hard to draw the line between an inventive high-line and blatant course-braiding…

May 13, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

If everyone in the race did it that corner would have two lines or would have doubled in width.

I agree with Flip.

Fair enough, but clearly not everyone did ride that corner.

I said this before (probably in this thread) that as a race organizer, you have to expect that new lines will appear, and you have to expect to go in and block them afterwards. I'm not saying that Megan did anything wrong, because she clearly has not. But if that's the worst "cheat" line to pop up on the weekend then that's a huge win for everyone. Lines like this will always show up on race day. Who's job is it to go block them afterwards? The race organizer? The builders who gave the okay to race on it? Either way, it is an expected outcome. You can't blame the racers for that. If you don't want it, you have to tape it.

We are also talking about racing, and in racing, you are trying to go as fast as possible between point A and point B. That's it. If that means getting off line to make your entrance or exit speed faster, then kudos to you. No, I am not talking about cutting entire switchbacks or straight lining corners, but creativity to help carry momentum is perfectly fine.

Your last concern while racing is if you're wrecking the trail. Don't kill the messenger but that's just reality. I knew it as a racer and as an organizer. If I didn't, I'd be lying to myself.

Looking back at that vid, that is an awesome line. That should be left open. ;)

May 15, 2015, 6:46 p.m.

I agree to an extent, but sometimes it's hard to draw the line between an inventive high-line and blatant course-braiding…

Tapejumper

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.